Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

Make Bassong captain.

And if we stay up would be happy to see him doing doughnuts round the centre circle in his Bentley.

Of course, if we go down he''ll be off like a shot...

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]

And if we stay up would be happy to see him doing doughnuts round the centre circle in his Bentley.

Of course, if we go down he''ll be off like a shot...

[/quote]

Tis a good point. I was wondering the other day who would jump ship if we were relegated, I guess the reality is Bassong would be one of the first to go.

Agreed but again, not as a slight against Holt, I''ve just always felt more comfortable with central defenders or midfielders as captain. I guess it depends what role you want from your Captain. Just pure inspiration can be anyone but if you want someone that can read a game and change it from the field, I think these are the two areas this can be done from.

With money the be all and end all in the modern game, loyalty to a club is in short supply. Most players will look to earn as much wonga as possible. Relegtaion will invariably mean pastures new for those who can command Premiership wages. Leaving you with those who can''t.

Now it is not the time to change it, the start of pre-season training in late June would be the time to change it.

It could actually help Grant Holt to be honest, the captaincy may well be bringing him some undesired extra pressure.

If we go and sign a quality striker and Holt is going to be fighting for status as #2 striker, and spending a fair bit of time on the bench as a result, then it most certainly would make sense for him to pass it on.

We could however retain him as "club captain" and make Bassong "team captain", pretty certain we have done that before.

Agreed, Bassong seems to know what he''s doing more vocally on the pitch pitch in terms of helping out his other back 3. As to whether Holt has been "negative" CH is also defensive so I can actually see this happening. Maybe even Ruddy when he is back?

I''m not against Bassong being captain but if he leads by example anyway then why does he need the armband?

Perhaps the armband could be used elsewhere to bring the best out of another player. Just as an example, what about Pilkington? Generally speaking his form his quite up and down. Maybe you give him the armband and all of a sudden you might have a player who fights for every ball and brings his best performances far more consistently.

The only skill a captain needs is knowing that the side facing up on a coin is slight more likely to be facing up on a coin toss. Apart from saying heads or tails at the beginning of a game there really isn''t any signficance to the role.

Natural leaders will naturally lead, whether they wear a little arm band or not.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Natural leaders will naturally lead [/quote]

agree completely - we need leaders all over the pitch and we are probably missing one in the middle of the park. Bassong Martin and grant all do this, perhaps grant a littleless visibly recently but features of all great sides are having 3/4 leaders showing in a team each week.

But some people do revel in the status afforded by an armband, a high-vis tabbard, a clipboard or the facility to delete posts from internet forums. It makes them feel important. Power corrupts, especially  with the "senior jumped-up nobody" types.

But I do think Sebastian would make a good captain.

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]

But some people do revel in the status afforded by an armband, a high-vis tabbard, a clipboard or the facility to delete posts from internet forums. It makes them feel important. Power corrupts, especially  with the "senior jumped-up nobody" types.

But I do think Sebastian would make a good captain.

[/quote]

I hear that you''ve always favoured a clipboard.......

OTBC

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"] Natural leaders will naturally lead [/quote] agree completely - we need leaders all over the pitch and we are probably missing one in the middle of the park. Bassong Martin and grant all do this, perhaps grant a littleless visibly recently but features of all great sides are having 3/4 leaders showing in a team each week.[/quote]

I agree too. Bassong leads anyway. What difference would it make apart from seeming like a punishment to Holty for missing his pen. Questioning Holt''s attitude, especially by posters who don''t even go to games, is hardly what being a supporter is all about. How can you possibly work out a players attitude from a tv screen.

What is wrong with Hoty''s attitude? What''s different about him now from other seasons? Does he put in less effort? Does he sulk? I would think it''s more some fans attitudes that should be questioned.

"How can you possibly work out a players attitude from a tv screen"

Body language, that''s what .... a much underestimated medium

Only last week I saw one of our players rolling around on the ground clutching his knee and grimacing ...

......."he''s injured, an injury to his knee that''s what it is " I said to my wife, knowing most folk would not recognise the tell tale clues 

"perhaps he just wants a free kick" she signed back (in a Welsh accent for some strange reason)  "lots of people fake ailments, you know"

"daft cow" I thought " what does she know ?"

"lots of people fake ailments, you know"

She should know, all those nights that she has had to fake a headache or tiredness.

[quote user="City1st"]

"How can you possibly work out a players attitude from a tv screen"

Body language, that''s what .... a much underestimated medium

Only last week I saw one of our players rolling around on the ground clutching his knee and grimacing ...

......."he''s injured, an injury to his knee that''s what it is " I said to my wife, knowing most folk would not recognise the tell tale clues 

"perhaps he just wants a free kick" she signed back (in a Welsh accent for some strange reason)  "lots of people fake ailments, you know"

"daft cow" I thought " what does she know ?"

[/quote]

LOL.. what about one of the all time magic moments when Iwan won a free kick in the dying minutes of the play-off game at Wolves in 2002. Iwan lay motionless on the deck facing us but not cameras. When the ref gave the free kick he stayed down, gave us a wink and then struggled to his feet. Don''t know what the viewers made of it but we feckin'' loved it[:D][Y]

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]"lots of people fake ailments, you know" She should know, all those nights that she has had to fake a headache or tiredness.[/quote]

whoooo-ooooooosh

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

The only skill a captain needs is knowing that the side facing up on a coin is slight more likely to be facing up on a coin toss. Apart from saying heads or tails at the beginning of a game there really isn''t any signficance to the role.

Natural leaders will naturally lead, whether they wear a little arm band or not.

[/quote]

On that basis, Bobby Moore really didn''t need the captaincy in 1966 then? Amazing leaders deserve full recognition - and picking up major trophies is a well-deserved perk of doing that special job well.

Many pro footballers will tell you there''s rather more to being a captain than calling heads or tails! Motivational team-talks in the pre-match huddle for a start...

I think people in England place too much importance on who is captain.
In Italy it goes to the most experienced, or most talented, players. It''s not viewed as that important.
Bassong already talks constantly to his defence, offering encouragement and advice when he feels it necessary. Giving him the captaincy won''t change that or make him do it more.  Same thing with Holt, he''ll always be a mouthy git ([;)]) regardless who has the armband.