Sign in to follow this  
Gingerpele

Official Unofficial Sunderland match thread!

A well earned point in the circumstances, a bloody disgrace though. I hope this match gets the press coverage it deserves to higlight the shocking state of the poor officiating in the top flight. Not good enough.

Us, on the otherhand, a better performance, and one we would surely have won with 11 men against a poor Sunderland team. Held on well to get the point, and arguably should have got the penalty to possibly win it.

That said, up to 12th, and we remain 10 points clear of the drop zone (although Wigan have 2 games in hand) at this stage. We really need a Toon win!

quote user="TheJarrold"]CHRIST!....Holt just stood there and watched the cross!!!! quote

Well it could''ve been pulled back to him. Knew some idiots would blame Holt. By tomorrow he''ll have been at fault for the red card and the penalty.

Feel totally robbed by ref.. Bunn''s red and that missed penalty were very poor calls.

Great game thought from our side. We would have deserved victory from this game with that performance. Solid and good football.

no doubt the usual ~Hughton Haters will appear in a minute to make themselves look city.well played City! a good point. I have a feeling had we have kept all 11 on the pitch we''d have won today.. Sunderland looked awful until the red cardstill.. 10 men outplayed 13 eh ;)

[quote user="AJ"] I hope this match gets the press coverage it deserves to higlight the shocking state of the poor officiating in the top flight. Not good enough.

[/quote]

I agree, but sadly it won''t. We''re little old Norwich. The media don''t get up in arms about us. Another thought... Would those decisions have gone against Man U? I somehow think not.

The one thing, well two things, in our favour was that Sunderland truly are awful, and we played so much better than in recent games. But as AJ says, that should have meant 3 points on a plate.

We was robbed!!!

Ordinarily I''d be pi55ed with another draw but that was a decent result... could have been so different... onwards to Wigan...

Probably 1 of the worse officiated games i''ve ever witnessed. Great point though but felt after we had taken the lead with 11 men would have comfortably won that game.

Gives me a lot more faith going into the wigan game. Though am i right in thinking Snoddy and Holt wil be banned or has the yellow cards changed??? Can never remember 5 or 10 now.

Thank f**k fir that!
I am unbelievably dissapointed with what happened. When we had ten men, it was probably our most complete performance since Spurs in terms of attacking threat. We looked composed on the ball and were moving into crossing positions well.
After the sending off, our players did well to maintain their shape excellently and defended well, they even managed to make good use of the ball, despite the deficit! We won several free-kicks in dangerous areas, Holt ran clear, maybe could have had a penalty! 
Too harsh decisions cost us the win today, IMO. If Newcastle beat Wigan then I would consider it a good weekend, with hopeful signs of recovery for the Wigan game.
Elliot Bennet was also absoloutely immense, that''s probably the best performance I''ve seen from him in a Norwich shirt, he deserves his place next week. Snodgrass was much quieter on the left, but that was to be expected.
Nice to see Whittaker back too.

Just had a look at Sunderland''s remaining fixtures and I think they are in serious trouble and all the people who are worried about us really should be grateful they are not mackams.

Absolutely buoyant after that. Brilliant backs against the wall performance. We could easily have mentally collapsed with such key decisions going against us. Kudos to the boys.

Brilliant 2nd half performance, lads should be proud of that performance.

Credit to Hughton as well both for the original selcetion as we had Sunderland on the ropes. Also for bringing in Lee Camp a move that is now up there with the original buying of Bunn.

Perhaps sometimes a conservative approach isn''t such a bad thing!!!

I thought our performance with 10 men was fantastic.  Play like that with 11 and we will surely pick up a couple more wins.  We would definitely have won that without the refeering howlers.

If we beat Wigan next week we are safe.

[quote user="QHcanary"]Russell Martin: "if its hit him on the arm it''s the correct decision"[/quote]

But its not necessarily no matter what Martin says. Touching the ball with your arm in the box isn''t an automatic penalty, i''d like to know what basis the penalty was given.

Great point and shocking decisions.Why is no one discussing the fact that the Sunderland player was 2 yards offside forcing Bassong to play the ball so even if it was handball it should have been ruled out for offside. Disgraceful.Great formation from Hughton, great solidity and well played by all. Howson was excellent too as I know people love bashing him on here.

[quote user="Downloads"]

[quote user="QHcanary"]Russell Martin: "if its hit him on the arm it''s the correct decision"[/quote]

But its not necessarily no matter what Martin says. Touching the ball with your arm in the box isn''t an automatic penalty, i''d like to know what basis the penalty was given.

[/quote]

He was taking about bunn

Aha, fair enuff!

Seen the Bunn one like 50 times and I still can''t be 100% sure. Its very, very close.

Its just the bias of the Bassong one vs the Rose one. Its not good enough refereeing. Bring in referrals like cricket if they can''t get this crap right.

A very positive performance from the boys.  Even with 10 men I thought we were the more likely to score.  I think we forced more corners in that game than in the last 9 or 10 matches combined!!  Seriously though, Sunderland were really crap.  With their run in you can''t see them picking up many more points, there are no gimme''s in their run in.  So even though only a point, I think it guarantees us finshing above them.  As good as safe with that. 

And at some point some decisions will go our way in a match before the end of the season.  Two seasons worth of bad decisions has got to balance out soon.

[quote user="Downloads"]

Aha, fair enuff!

Seen the Bunn one like 50 times and I still can''t be 100% sure. Its very, very close.

Its just the bias of the Bassong one vs the Rose one. Its not good enough refereeing. Bring in referrals like cricket if they can''t get this crap right.

[/quote]

Agreed. Those are game changing decisions. The only problem I can see with video refereeing is that plenty of decisions are open to interpretation. Not an issue in this case as it was clear hand all. A video ref would surely have ruled it inside the box.

The bunn decision was correct IMO, but I do see the room to debate. Every other big decision was wrong.

[quote user="QHcanary"]

The bunn decision was correct IMO, but I do see the room to debate. Every other big decision was wrong.[/quote]As Bunn didn''t go in with his hands (SFP?) and did not deny a clear goalscoring opportunity then even if he did touch it with his arm deliberately it is only a yellow card/direct free kick offence, the rules are quite clear.