Sign in to follow this  
Olly

Jonny Howson

Today I thought he was brilliant. Much much better on the ball, and I thought he excelled when we went down to 10 men.

He seemed to be bursting forward from midfield regularly, constantly supporting the lone striker. I also thought he service gave Holt/Kamara a chance. Good to see him put in a good performance after an poor one last week

I agree it was one of his better displays. I still think he needs to ''beef up'' physically and he still needs to do more defensively, but he can pass the ball and is much better when we''re on the front foot.

I fully expect Tettey to be back for Wigan though.

Also bare in mind that if we''d have had 11 men on the pitch he''d have had Hoolahan ahead of him as well as another option.

I dare say that if the ref hadn''t messed about Fox might even have had a go today. But yeah, Howson had a better game than he has had in a while.

As I''ve been saying, he''s a good player, he''s lacked playing time and he''ll only improve. Some people on this board are clueless.but I haven''t got 6000 posts so what do I know.

"I dare say that if the ref hadn''t messed about Fox might even have had a go today."

Did you think that Howson or Johnson would get injured today? That''s the only way Fox would have got on the pitch.

Wouldn''t go that far, MOTM for me has to be R.Martin, though the was phenomenal both at the back and getting forward today.

Very much improved performance today though, and certainly still has something to give to this team.

Good to hear the boy had a decent game. That''s all we can ask for. He''ll still get competition in summer so needs to do everything he can for himself and the team. Future looks bright for club and player if he steps up

I thought he played well - defensively with 10 men he and BJ were absolutely key to restricting Sunderland''s opportunities and both did well.  Going forward he made some good passes which is what we''d always thought he would be capable of in an attacking role. 

One of several players who stepped up their performance today.