Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

We will lose at Sunderland on Sunday

I have no doubt about this. Our negative tactics will see to that. Didn''t deserve to score the last minute penalty on Saturday.

Southampton had 10+ shots on goal, we had 2 or 3. Brilliant for the home side, that.

We will lose at Sunderland. Just know it. There are no doubts in my mind at all.

I don''t think we are out of trouble yet but if we do survive this season then the mindset of the management has to change.

Wow. " up front and 2 wingers, and you call that negative. I''d like to see what formation you would play. It sounds like Row D Seat 7 might be available for the next home game!! Any takers?

We are in serious trouble - by sheer force of personality of their respective mangers QPR and Villa will both get themselves out of trouble - we shall be scrapping with Reading (as good as gone IMO), Southampton and Wigan for the other spots.

Hopefully Hughton will have learnt after the previous two showings of 4-4-2 that giving the opposition the advantage in midfield isn''t the right idea, a more solid 4-2-3-1 please. Hit a horribly out of form Sunderland on the counter.

Very few teams from the lower half of the table have gotten results against Norwich this season (in fact I think it is only Newcastle away that has been a defeat). If Norwich can frustrate Sunderland for the first 30 minutes or so the crowd will be on the home team''s backs and Norwich can capitalise on their low confidence.

How ever bad you think Norwich might be at the moment (which really isn''t that bad) - Sunderland are a whole lot worse.

Villa will survive. Think QPR and Wigan will too. Reading will drop. That leaves two places. I wouldn''t bet against us taking one of those places.

With all this negativity we are bound to go down.

Very few reversals against poorer teams this season. We will revert to 4231 for Sunderland but need replacement for Tettey obvious choice would be Whittaker.

Another run out for Howson and will agree with OP.

Can Kei cover as left winger need someone to cover for Pilks. Hoolahan must play if to get something out of game but not on the left must be in middle.

There is no way Wigan, Villa and QPR can all survive - the teams at the bottom all have to play each other, so will be taking points from each other. Unless you are expecting them to go and beat teams like Man City, Man U, Liverpool etc.

Go play with this and see if you can come up with a realistic version were Norwich are relegated.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/predictor/default.stm

I would say to crabby, just read the leading article in the pink un. No point in two up front when we cant supply decent service. Van Persie would struggle in this side.

I agree Bury Yellow, it was more of a lead on to Row D, in as much as Hughton was trying to win a game with effectively, 4 up front, BUT, due to other factors, it wasn''t the tactical side of things that was wrong.

[quote user="pete"]. Another run out for Howson and will agree with OP.[/quote]

He wasn''t any worse than anyone else in midfield against Southampton, though. Certainly no worse than Johnson and probably better than Snodgrass - who was really quite poor.

I think giving the opposition the advantage in Midfield has had much more to do with personnel than formation to be honest.

We look solid in defense against good teams so hopefully a point is alot more likely than it was last season.

Thats just wrong 100% wrong without Johnson we would surely have conceded and whilst Snodgrass didn''t have his best game he really should have scored and added to the overall performance.

At least Johnson can break up play - it''s what he''s there for.

Howson''s usual attempt at defending is to stand bent over in front of their player and wait for them to pass the ball - one of the weirdest techniques I''ve ever seen. I actually cringe when he does it as I do not understand what he''s been taught to do?!

Johnson has been great this season, but everyone was poor on Saturday. Howson has been consistently poor (albeit, largely played out of position). He''s only starting because Tettey is out, and because he''s technically better than Fox. Although after Saturday I''m sure I''m not the only one who would love to see Fox get a nice run out.

As for Snoddy, he''s been consistently our best player - Southampton made it hard for him

[quote user="AJ"]As for Snoddy, he''s been consistently our best player - Southampton made it hard for him[/quote]

Going forward he has been our best player, I agree.

However, on Saturday he did himself no favours by holding on to the ball too long when he had good chances to do something with it. It was something that was in his game at the start of the season but he then cut it out a bit and his performances were better for it.

Let''s be positive - Turner is going back to the SoL - I''m sure he will want to prove something to Mo''N.  What price for a Turner header as winning goal from a Snoddy free kick?

OK Bethnal next four games:

Norwich to lose both away games, lose at home to a free from pressure Swansea team, and then away at Araenal.

P 33, Pts 33

Reading to lose vs Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool, draw vs Soton

P 33, Pts 24

Villa to lose to Liverpool, draw vs Stoke, beat QPR and Fulham at home.

P 33, Pts 34

Soton to lose to Liverpool and Chelsea, draw vs Reading, beat west ham

P 33, Pts 32

Wigan to lose to QPR, draw vs Newcastle, beat us.

P31, Pts 28 (two games in hand)

QPR to lose to Villa, beat Fulham, Wigan, draw vs Everton,

P 33, Pts 30

So the bottom six in four games time:

Villa 33 34

Norwich 33 33

Soton 33 32

QPR 33 30

Wigan 31 28

Reading 33 24

A perfectly plausible scenario. Coming off such a dire period of form I suggest all bets are off regarding our safety. We''ve seen it all before.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]OK Bethnal next four games: Norwich to lose both away games, lose at home to a free from pressure Swansea team, and then away at Araenal. P 33, Pts 33 Reading to lose vs Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool, draw vs Soton P 33, Pts 24 Villa to lose to Liverpool, draw vs Stoke, beat QPR and Fulham at home. P 33, Pts 34 Soton to lose to Liverpool and Chelsea, draw vs Reading, beat west ham P 33, Pts 32 Wigan to lose to QPR, draw vs Newcastle, beat us. P31, Pts 28 (two games in hand) QPR to lose to Villa, beat Fulham, Wigan, draw vs Everton, P 33, Pts 30 So the bottom six in four games time: Villa 33 34 Norwich 33 33 Soton 33 32 QPR 33 30 Wigan 31 28 Reading 33 24 A perfectly plausible scenario. Coming off such a dire period of form I suggest all bets are off regarding our safety. We''ve seen it all before.[/quote]

Even if you think Norwich will lose their next 4 games (which I consider unlikely), by winning the games against Reading and Villa at home would see the club to safety.

Norwich haven''t won many games recently, but they also haven''t been beaten very often - and certainly not by clubs like Sunderland and Wigan.

We may well beat Reading, I''d be much less certain regarding Villa. The point is that lack of confidence in itself breeds pressure. Stoke and Man City away don''t look very attractive to me, nor does a ''must win'' against West Brom in our penultimate game. We can discount Man City A.

QPR. have Stoke and Newcastle at home and Reading A - all potentially winnable by a team with momentum.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]OK Bethnal next four games:

Norwich to lose both away games, lose at home to a free from pressure Swansea team, and then away at Araenal.

P 33, Pts 33

Reading to lose vs Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool, draw vs Soton

P 33, Pts 24

Villa to lose to Liverpool, draw vs Stoke, beat QPR and Fulham at home.

P 33, Pts 34

Soton to lose to Liverpool and Chelsea, draw vs Reading, beat west ham

P 33, Pts 32

Wigan to lose to QPR, draw vs Newcastle, beat us.

P31, Pts 28 (two games in hand)

QPR to lose to Villa, beat Fulham, Wigan, draw vs Everton,

P 33, Pts 30

So the bottom six in four games time:

Villa 33 34

Norwich 33 33

Soton 33 32

QPR 33 30

Wigan 31 28

Reading 33 24

A perfectly plausible scenario. Coming off such a dire period of form I suggest all bets are off regarding our safety. We''ve seen it all before.[/quote]

LOLWe really should keep this post from our own Forum Cassandra.[;)]

[quote user="Highland Canary"]We may well beat Reading, I''d be much less certain regarding Villa. The point is that lack of confidence in itself breeds pressure. Stoke and Man City away don''t look very attractive to me, nor does a ''must win'' against West Brom in our penultimate game. We can discount Man City A. QPR. have Stoke and Newcastle at home and Reading A - all potentially winnable by a team with momentum.[/quote]

I think you highly under estimate Norwich or over estimate other teams. Sunderland have lost 6 of thier last 10, Wigan have lost 5 in 10 and Stoke have lost 7 in 10. Why do you assume these teams will suddenly find winning ways against Norwich? Norwich having lost 4 in 10 - 3 of which were Man U (a), Man City (h) and Liverpool (a)? Norwich have only lost twice to teams in the bottom half of the table so far this season, why would we suddenly lose 3 games in the last 9 remaining? The Everton game showed that Norwich still have enough confidence to push for a last minute winner, and an out of confidence team would have buckled under the pressure Southampton put on the team on Saturday.

It probably won''t be a pretty end to the season, but I really can''t see Norwich failing to pick up the 4 or 5 points they need before the end of the season for survival. Especially as one of the games is Reading at home, and the rest of the home games are winnable.

I accept that the liklihood of relegation is low but nevertheless real. Our track record of one win away all season implies that Sunderland and Wigan will be tough. Also, we''re not creating chances. It''s a perfectly reasonable scenario that we shall lose these two away games.

@ Highland Canary.In your rather gloomy four game prediction you''ve overlooked the fact that a Fulham team you''ve predicted are poor enough to lose to both QPR and Villa are likely then to be poor enough to lose to Newcastle and Tottenham (both away). They don''t appear in your mini league of 34 points and lower so do we assume they picked up more than two points from NUFC and Spurs yet lost at QPR and Villa?  It''s these involved results that make a mockery of even the most scientific forecast at this stage.

Yes Zak - again agreed but IF (yes that word again) we lose the next four - not impossible - it really is all bets off as the ability to perform under real pressure will become the key determinant of success during the final run in.