Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Chris Foy - Should Have Gone To Specsavers

See, this demonstrates how hard it is for a referee when Norwich fans can''t even agree between one another.I will consistently believe the Bunn decision was extremely harsh. Of course `deliberate handball` can be difficult for any ref to be 100% certain but i can certainly say it isn''t like Bunn moves his arms in the direction of the ball, his arms are up before that, seemingly in preparation for a collision. In my mind the ref CANNOT be 100% sure it hit his arm and he also CANNOT be sure beyond reasonable doubt that it is with intent either. Therefore, I don''t think you can give it.The bassong one looks to be handball but the Sunderland Player IS offside. How a linesman can look down the line and give a handball but not an offside is absolutely beyond me. Thick as two planks.Now, thankfully we''re in quite a good position and i don''t think the results of this refereeing performance will hugely affect our ambition to stay in the league - but what if it did? What if it was last game of the season, we needed a win, and these two decisions were made? It would be absolutely disgraceful to say the least.

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

Fellas, I had factored in the geometry, because Foy is slightly - only slightly - to the right. But I confess I hadn''t taken account of the curvature of the earth, and Foy having to bounce his vision off the stratosphere and back down through the troposphere. I would settle for him being about 25 yards away, which is the distance at which a cricket umpire standing slightly back makes far harder decisions all day long as to whether a ball travelling at 90 mph has grazed the edge of the bat or flicked the glove, not to mention instant geometrical calculations as to whether a ball hitting the pads would have gone on to hit the wicket.

And the hard fact is that Foy got it right. The ball does touch Bunn''s right arm. That may have ben a guess, or he may have seen it right

[/quote]

Well we will have to agree to disagree Purple because I still don''t agree with your reckoning of Foy''s position. Regardless, I don''t feel there was a need to be facetious (especially so given that you decided to quote the dimensions of the playing field at the Stadium of Light). I would also add that your comparison to cricket is fallacious. But once again it highlights my point, the umpires have the assistance of television officials who assist in making the most difficult of calls.

As pointed out my many people on here, and elsewhere a handball must be deliberate. That can be either deliberate through action or through inaction. From the evidence I have seen, Bunn does not move his arm to the ball. I cannot tell if he deliberately did not move his arm out of the path of the ball. As such I have doubts that a deliberate handball has occurred. I however have the benefit of seeing the incident in slow-motion and zoomed in. Mr Foy does not. I do not think Mr Foy could accurately assess if Bunn had deliberately not moved his arms out of the way. And I repeat, as mentioned by many people, that he must have guessed to reach his decision.
[/quote]

Fellas, I think we will indeed have to disagree. But one definite point is that my cricket comparison is not fallacious. Only in a very few professional matches - not even all test matches - is there TV replay to help with decisions. India, for example, refuse to allow the system. The vast majority of decisons are made instantly on the spot from 22-25 yards away without any help from outside.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

Bassong was penalised because he was not good enough to control the ball in the way he wanted to. The fact it hit his arm is irrelevant as it obviously was not deliberate, it was not an intentional act to handle it. As it was not deliberate it was not a penalty.

If you put your arms behind your back as you challenge for such balls I suggest you will, at some stage, be injured and it could be serious. The first rule of goalkeeping is to protect yourself, and that was what Bunn was doing with his arms at head height.[/quote]

Yellow Wall, if Bassong''s was not deliberate how was Rose''s handball deliberate? I don''t see an obvious difference there. If anything it looked as if he was turning his body to try to get the arm out of the way when the ball struck. And yet I don''t think anyone on this site has said that wasn''t a penalty.

As to Bunn and your first rule of goalkeeping all I can say is he needs in that case to stay in his area, because otherwise he will keep getting sent off for handball.

I think Foy was actually consistent in his decisions. In all three case it wasn''t hand to ball so not obviously deliberate in that sense, but the hand or the arm were where they shouldn''t have been when the ball struck, and in each case the player gained an advantage. And Foy blew up for all three.

Okay so we all agree the calls are debatable and could have gone either way really. Then it''s funny how all the ''debatable'' or calls left open to the ref''s interpretation ALL went Sunderlands way though. And how he seemed to be taking the red out of his pocket the second the ball touched Bunn in the chest without giving himself time to think.

I wouldn''t blame it on them being the home team as the stadium was as quiet as a morgue, he wasn''t under any pressure from the fans. I''m sorry but either he is a cheat or he wanted some time in the limelight on Sky cameras, there''s no other excuse for that amount of bias!

And how he seemed to be taking the red out of his pocket the second the ball touched Bunn in the chest without giving himself time to think.

Totally agree with this too.