Sign in to follow this  
Somerset Canary

Michael Turner for England

With Roy Hodgson losing the services of Ferdinand, Terry, Jagielka, Cahill etc surely he must look around for other centre backs who are currrently striking a rich vein of form...

Well Steven Taylor got a call up so I can''t see why not, I wouldn''t swap Taylor for Turner. They were talking about Turner playing for England when he was at Hull in 2008/09, and he seems to have rediscovered that form.

Not sure he''d get away with his rugby tackles with continental refs though.

Not sure why Shawcross hasn''t been given more than one cap, he may be a psycho but then so was Terry Butcher.

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]Well Steven Taylor got a call up so I can''t see why not, I wouldn''t swap Taylor for Turner. They were talking about Turner playing for England when he was at Hull in 2008/09, and he seems to have rediscovered that form. Not sure he''d get away with his rugby tackles with continental refs though. Not sure why Shawcross hasn''t been given more than one cap, he may be a psycho but then so was Terry Butcher.[/quote]

Shawcross'' display as a 20 minute substitute in the away freindly in Sweden (the Ibrahmovic overhead kick match) is the reason why he wont be called up again.

Lot''s of defenders have nightmare debuts though, Michael Turner anybody?

He is still only 25 too, I think it would be sensible to give him another chance, and Ibrahimovic was completely unplayable that day.

233 games as the mainstay of a Stoke team which outside of the top 4 or 5 has had the best defence in the division most seasons is reason enough for me, plenty of decent defenders have come at go at Stoke having failed to budge him from the team (Woodgate and Upson included).

I think it would be short sighted to write off a 25 year old with his experience and obvious ability after one terrible 20 minutes in an experimental squad full of debutants.

When you say: "is the reason why he wont be called up again", I think a more likely/accurate statement would be: "is the reason why Hodgson won''t call him up again".

We have no idea how long Hodgson will be in the job, they don''t usually get any more than two major tournaments, so unless we impress in 2014 then probably about 15 months until we get a new manager, he isn''t getting any younger either.

Somebody like Mourinho and Redknapp wouldn''t be worried about his debut performance, they both think that they can get the best out of any player.

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]Well Steven Taylor got a call up so I can''t see why not, I wouldn''t swap Taylor for Turner. They were talking about Turner playing for England when he was at Hull in 2008/09, and he seems to have rediscovered that form. Not sure he''d get away with his rugby tackles with continental refs though. Not sure why Shawcross hasn''t been given more than one cap, he may be a psycho but then so was Terry Butcher.[/quote]

Juventus seemed to get away with far worse in their game at Celcit than anything Turner ever does, so in that instance continental refs seem quite happy with that approach.

Obviously meant that to be Celtic; I haven''t a clue what happened there.

Why not? He''s been playing well in the top flight in one of the tighter defences in the bottom half (apart from against Liverpool).

Michael Turner has been brilliant for us this season, is often preventing goals and always getting on the end of crosses etc.

However, his clearances do often put us immediately back under pressure, as if sometime''s hes trying to see how high he can kick the ball, instead of far.

I also feel he is prone to a mistake, but apart from this he has been excellent and could be considered if he worked on that aspect of his game. He seems to side foot his clearances instead of putting his laces through the ball.

Without him and Bassong, we''d be going to Portman Road next season!

As much as i admire the performances Turner has put in for us of late especially after the start he had, he''s not up to that level of football.  Calling up Caulker and now Taylor were the right decisions, imo both of those players if they played for us would get into our starting 11.

There can''t be too many England-qualified central defenders in the Premiership, so why not? His only problem is his lack of pace, so he would need some quick men around him - Cole and Walker.

No reason why not but not sure he (or Taylor etc) are really international class.

Anyway he cant play for England - Seb is Cameroonian and without him by his side Turner is half the player..