Sign in to follow this  
Ketts Rebel

The Friendly Cup

[quote user="Ketts Rebel"]

Lets not forget that tommorow is a contest for the Friendly Cup. Where two great clubs showed how it should be done in an era of football violence. Below is a good article on its origins........

http://www.rokerreport.com/2011/9/21/2438838/sunderland-norwich-friendly-cup

[/quote]

That''s a great article.  My one abiding memory of the day is walking past a pub full of Sunderland fans who spotting my colours spontaneously burst into ''On the Ball City''.  Great day, great memories!

Excellent article, and represents what football should be about, rather than the financially dominated circus that it is today. It shouldn''t be about being sh!t scared of getting relegated as we''ll miss out on 70m quid.

I do wonder if any of the players are aware of this ''cup'', but we seem to have regained it :-) haven''t seen it mentioned anywhere but it is presumably still around.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I do wonder if any of the players are aware of this ''cup'', but we seem to have regained it :-) haven''t seen it mentioned anywhere but it is presumably still around.[/quote]

I assume we have it back now after the two results this season???

It was a great day with a wonderful atmosphere and played at a time when a Wembley final was really a special event. Through all the subsequent  triumphs and promotions, it still remains my happiest Norwich City memory - hence the name I use for my occasional postings.

Can anyone remember the cup actually being presented after a game? or, displayed on the pitch before the game?

Does it just move silently from ground to ground with no one seeing it?

Seems a shame something this worthwhile is not celebrated more, reminding players and fans of both (and other clubs) what football can be all about.

It''s called the friendship trophy and it was introduced by the Fiat-Pointer Motor Company in 1985. I''m sure the trophy actually exists but have never seen it presented.

I think we need get you and that bloke who used to have the avatar with the big boobies to play for it.

I can remember the boobies, but not the name. I would play for it, even with my dodgy knee just to see it. I''ve trawled the net for a picture but no luck. I am not diminishing its value, but it must be the only cup no one has seen!  Challenge anyone to find a picture.....

[quote user="dpit"]I think we need get you and that bloke who used to have the avatar with the big boobies to play for it.[/quote]

I don''t think he''s very friendly dippity[:O]

[quote user="Ketts Rebel"]I can remember the boobies, but not the name. I would play for it, even with my dodgy knee just to see it. I''ve trawled the net for a picture but no luck. I am not diminishing its value, but it must be the only cup no one has seen!  Challenge anyone to find a picture.....[/quote]

To help them with their challenge I think it''s called the ''Norwich-Sunderland Perpetual Trophy''. Probably difficult to google but there are some experts on here. If it exists, and I''m pretty sure it does, then the most likely place to find a pic is an old programme. We won it the first season on 9th April 2006 with a 0-0 draw at home. We''d already won 2-0 at Roker Park the previous October.

Could be a task for Bly?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Ketts Rebel"]I can remember the boobies, but not the name. I would play for it, even with my dodgy knee just to see it. I''ve trawled the net for a picture but no luck. I am not diminishing its value, but it must be the only cup no one has seen!  Challenge anyone to find a picture.....[/quote]

To help them with their challenge I think it''s called the ''Norwich-Sunderland Perpetual Trophy''. Probably difficult to google but there are some experts on here. If it exists, and I''m pretty sure it does, then the most likely place to find a pic is an old programme. We won it the first season on 9th April 2006 with a 0-0 draw at home. We''d already won 2-0 at Roker Park the previous October.

Could be a task for Bly?

[/quote]

1986[:$]

The friendship trophy DID indeed make its way back on the coach! Proof per this link!

#NCFC #FriendshipTrophy pic.twitter.com/nHqXwMhXGc

And while we''re on the subject, here''s a pick of when we won it in 1991! Complete with team lineup!!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&biw=1024&bih=672&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=friendship+trophy+norwich&oq=friendship+trophy+norwich&gs_l=img.3...6380.8307.0.8989.8.8.0.0.0.0.109.722.7j1.8.0...0.0...1c.1.7.img.1if8xL5d_f4#biv=i%7C0%3Bd%7Cf_914WvnWcg5MM%3A

[quote user="flecky76"]To be fair, that ''trophy'' looks more like a trifle bowl last seen at some 70''s dinner party....[/quote]l

trifle bowl ?

I think you mean punch bowl

however cheers for finding pic

perhaps we could have it presented before the Swansea game (once they''ve removed any traces of jelly and hundreds and thousands)

Well done Flecky! You win the challenge. Some great pictures. It looks like is has been presented on the pitch after the game in the past - going by the muddy socks....maybe is still is.  Going by the forums there are fans on both sides (maybe younger ones) who are unaware it exists. Well done lads I can sleep now.