Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

Retrospective ban for mcmanaman?

As Halsey took no action against mcmanaman does this mean he could be banned v us?

That tackle was terrible and as bad as Roy keane on alf Inge haaland

Well, I guess he could be but I don''t think it was anything like Roy Keane. To start with there was no intent. Secondly he''s a young player who was making his Premier League debut. If he got a 3 game ban I doubt that will affect his career as much as the realisation and aftermath of what happened. That''s the down side of putting youngsters into the spotlight of the premier league. I hope Haidara makes a speedy recovery and McManaman''s career doesn''t suffer either. But then I do like a happy ending...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

To start with there was no intent.

[/quote]

Clear intent. May have got caught up in the heat of the moment but absolutely no doubt whatsoever that he intended to leave his mark on the guy.

Very naive to think anything else.

Sorry nutty I think there was clear intent in there, showed his inexperience there I thought

he tries to side foot the ball away but I think maybe takes his eye off the ball or misjudges the bounce of the ball and misses it completely, I don''t think its intentional to be honest, but it was a very dangerous way to attempt a clearance with a player running in his direction, definitely a red but people saying its the worst tackle of the season and the worst tackle they''ve seen is to far IMO

Think of deliberate stamping, elbowing, headbutting etc don''t think this tackle is in the same bracket as any of those

It looked like a tackle of retribution, the full back had been at him the whole game and mcmanaman snapped

I''d be astounded if no action was taken, it was a real horror tackle and it''ll probably be a three-match ban - and a big miss for them in those games.

The difference in luck for wigan and us today was rather marked: that their guy shouldve been sent off wasn''t even debatable yet was missed, the Bunn incident is debatable but he went; we should have had a certain pen that was missed, their winner was a blatant handball followed by the most flukey set of deflections you''ll ever see. Ho hum, c''est la vie.

I don''t know how this works, but can''t the FA only take action if the ref "didn''t see it", or says he didn''t see it in his match report?

I''m not sure though how it works if the ref saw the tackle, but wasn''t able to see quite how bad it was. The FA won''t take action if the ref saw it and thought it was a fair challenge, but I can''t believe that to be the case. But then again, he must have seen the two players go in for the tackle, as he was looking directly at it (albeit the actual contact may have been obscured by the player in his eyeline).

[quote user="refjezdavies"]Sorry nutty I think there was clear intent in there, showed his inexperience there I thought[/quote]

Which was it then Jez?

The point I was making was that it was nothing like the Roy Keane tackle. The circumstances were very different. Fail to see how you can compare the two Jez.

I think Halsey has said that he didn''t see it, and looking at the tv replays there was a guy right in his sight line. The guys on Motd2 certainly picked up on it reckoning he will get a ban.

There will be some kind of action for this surely.

The only time action can''t be taken further is if the ref has seen it and taken the "appropriate" action. This often happens when a ref shows a yellow card when it could have been a red.

But surely there are times when the FA can step in. It was a shocking tackle.

At what point can the police get involved?

Roy Keane should have been prosecuted. As should the German goalie (Harald Schumacher) against Battiston in the ''82 world Cup.

The charge would be attempted manslaughter.

Seen it finally and it looks horrendous. Even Robbie bloomin'' Savage reckons he''ll get 3-game minimum ban. I''d be surprised and hugely dissapointed if nothing happened in regards to a suspension. You can say what you want about intent but any studs up tackle these days is a red card and that was a standing studs up challenge on the guy''s standing leg. Did he get most of the ball or even half the ball? Nope. Reckless and dangerous

The ref didn''t even give a free-kick as he didn''t see it or any of the other officials apparently so the FA can step in presumably as it wasn''t dealt with during the game i.e no free-kick or card

Halsey is one of the better refs and admitted he missed the tackle and is sorry. Sounds like it wasn''t in his report and the FA will jump in (especially with all the media hype around the matter).

How anyone can think the tackle, when the lad wasn''t even looking in the right direction, was intentional is beyond me. A stupid challenge and deserves red and a ban - but he didn''t intent to injure the player. Not that it is any comfort to the guy kicked or Newcastle.

I think the only reason it has been highlighted so much is the lack of a red card - if Mcmanaman had been sent off I doubt many would been talking about it today.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Halsey is one of the better refs and admitted he missed the tackle and is sorry. Sounds like it wasn''t in his report and the FA will jump in (especially with all the media hype around the matter).

How anyone can think the tackle, when the lad wasn''t even looking in the right direction, was intentional is beyond me. A stupid challenge and deserves red and a ban - but he didn''t intent to injure the player. Not that it is any comfort to the guy kicked or Newcastle.

I think the only reason it has been highlighted so much is the lack of a red card - if Mcmanaman had been sent off I doubt many would been talking about it today.

[/quote]

Exactly Beth. And he will be affected by it for a lot longer than any three game ban. To suggest it was premeditated like the Roy Keane incident is unbelievable and on this occasion I have far more confidence in the fuddy duddies at the FA than the self appointed judge and jury on here.

This is one of the things to remember when people cry out for the Murphy boys to play in the premier league. Martinez seems to be a top level headed manager to me and I''m sure he will help McManaman through.

[/quote]Check this  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21823350It seems to me that McManaman is looking in Haidara''s face. A three match ban seems fair to me, and might even serve the player''s interest.

[/quote]

Bethnal, very rarely do I disagree with you but this time I do.

While I would accept that maybe McManaman did not see the potential consequences of his actions in the heat of the moment, in my mind there is no doubt that he intended to leave his mark on the defender.

Maybe he would not have wanted to put the guy out for several months but as far as that game is concerned he knew what he was doing, he wanted to inflict a bit of damage on the guy.

He may well have regretted it instantly (depending on what kind of lad he is) but certainly, whether it was the result of anger or frustration, he went in to "do" him.

GJP, this was my conclusion and mcmanaman''s inexperience has cost him here potentially

Mcmanaman should get a ban, so it will be 1 game at worst, so that suits us. I reckon Figueroa should get punished for the deliberate handball that led to the winning goal as well, but not sure if they can give retrospective reds for handballs?

No further action to be taken against McManaman.

A terrible, terrible decision that makes a mockery of the game.

Spineless by the FA as always - at least they''re consistent at being inconsistent, just like their referee''s...

How such a horrific tackle and injury can be sustained and missed, by four officials in today''s age with today''s technology and go completely unpunished shows exactly what is wrong with the game.

If he doesn''t quit refereeing in the wake of this and the FA continue to do nothing about it - we can expect a lot worse to come in the future.

Lets remind ourselves this is also the referee who missed Fellaini''s assault on Shawcross. Well, actually, wasn''t it about 4 or 5 ''assaults'' ?!

Either way, not good enough - and a sad demise to the beautiful game.

Lets just hope the toons player isn''t badly injured, only 20 and if it''s career ending would leave a sour taste for everyone in Football

agreed, and absolute mockery of a shambles...

here''s the statement...

http://www.thefa.com/News/governance/2013/mar/callum-mcmanaman-no-retrospective-action-wigan-newcastle

...a logic bypass of the highest order.

Usual nonsense of an official witnessing it so they can''t go back to it.

Well any official who witnessed that and didn''t think to get anything done about it shouldn''t be in the job.

Why would we expect anything else?  Typical bottling FA unable to make a decision.  One official apparently saw it, so that must be the linesman on the same side but was standing 40+ yards away, he obviously did not see it properly.

McManaman might not have went in to deliberately injure an opponent but he went so hard that when he caught the player''s knee his other foot also left the ground. 

Wigan''s approach in this throughout has been disgraceful, first Martinez then Whelen going on about it is a fair challenge he got the ball and followed through.  I''m sorry but I hope we can wipe the club''s smug grin off their face when we play them!

Halsey actually apologised for missing it, and you have to think he would have had a red card + a ban had it even different.

The FA is really pathetic - today they have upheld the dubious accidental handball decision against Bunn whilst allowing someone who put a player in hospital to go free. Astonishing.

" McManaman might not have went in to deliberately injure an opponent but he went so hard that when he caught the player''s knee his other foot also left the ground "

Deliberate or not, (and FIFA rules here don''t contemplate a deliberate action) the questions are - was the action careless, reckless or was it using excessive force?