Sign in to follow this  
Scottlarock

Bradley Johnson - Hard as nails and a top player.

After yesterdays game I''m surprised he doesn''t have his own thread. I for one love watching him play, his determination and concentration levels are just amazing. A highlight yesterday though is when he took the ball square in the face from the free kick and flat refused to fall over and just looked a bit quizzical. He''s not perfect but I''m very glad he''s ours :-)

Unsung hero in many respects although he did appear in quite a few peoples top 3 POTS candidates so maybe thats no longer the case.Think he''s been a very consistent performer considering he''s had very inconsistent performances from whoever the CM next to him tends to be.

I think the majority share this positive opinion of him, I''d put him at 4th in my POTS list, which is recognition enough, is it not?

He has some weaknesses in his game though, his passing leaves a lot to be desired. If Johnson could pass like Fox then we''d have an International class player.

If he could pass like Fox he probably wouldn''t be here though! lol. He had a great pass for Pilks goal against Sunderland (I think it was them or Wigan) at home

"A highlight yesterday though is when he took the ball square in the face from the free kick and flat refused to fall over and just looked a bit quizzical."

This made me laugh. If I were casting a cave man film, BJ would be top of my list for the lead part.

"Ball. Face. Ow."

"Ball. Player. Kick. Ball. Or. Player."

"Joey. Barton. C*nt."

Love him.

He can''t shoot for buggery, but he''s a solid player. One who is benefiting from a settled side under Hughton.

If Lambert were still manager BJ would not be getting anywhere near as much football and may have been seeking a move away.

Without BJ in the team we would be p*ssed over every week, nobody else in the squad can protect the back four like him, his job is to break up play and he does it superbly.

[quote user="Not Nigel"]Without BJ in the team we would be p*ssed over every week, nobody else in the squad can protect the back four like him, his job is to break up play and he does it superbly.[/quote]

Maybe if he managed to stop giving possession away so cheaply he wouldn''t have to protect the back four so much.

He gives the ball away more than other players because he has the ball more than other players.

Perhaps if he didn''t win the ball as much he wouldn''t give away possession as often?

[quote user="Not Nigel"]He gives the ball away more than other players because he has the ball more than other players.

Perhaps if he didn''t win the ball as much he wouldn''t give away possession as often?[/quote]

Check the stats. BJ has one of the worst pass completion percentages out of all the premiership midfielders.

Bradley Johnsons average pass success rate is 71%, below average for a holding midfielder who should really be aiming for, at bare minimum, 75%. A holding midfielder who is good in possession should be trying to hit the around 80%.
Strangely, he attempts the 2nd most passes of any of our team and the 2nd most long passes. IMO, if Johnson cut out the long passes (which are usually inaccurrate anyway) he would easily be hitting the 75% mark.
What can''t be ignored is his defensive contribution. 2nd most tackles a game, 2nd most interceptions, 2nd most fouls. Defensively, Johnson is probably our most competent midfielder (Tettey has more interceptions, which I put down to his greater mobility).
He is dispossessed (tackled) less than once a game. His turnover rate is also impressive, less than one a game.  
He''s had a good season, passing is better than last season, but still needs work if he wants to reach the next level.

He is by no means the best passer we have. However BJ rarely has an opportunity to pass while not under serious pressure OR it''s because he has just nicked the ball off someone and is still struggling to control the ball while trying to pass it at the same time. I''m willing to forgive his stats purely as his strengths aren''t quantifiable by a spreadsheet. True passion, determination with excellent reading of the game.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]Bradley Johnsons average pass success rate is 71%, below average for a holding midfielder who should really be aiming for, at bare minimum, 75%. A holding midfielder who is good in possession should be trying to hit the around 80%.
Strangely, he attempts the 2nd most passes of any of our team and the 2nd most long passes. IMO, if Johnson cut out the long passes (which are usually inaccurrate anyway) he would easily be hitting the 75% mark.
What can''t be ignored is his defensive contribution. 2nd most tackles a game, 2nd most interceptions, 2nd most fouls. Defensively, Johnson is probably our most competent midfielder (Tettey has more interceptions, which I put down to his greater mobility).
He is dispossessed (tackled) less than once a game. His turnover rate is also impressive, less than one a game.  
He''s had a good season, passing is better than last season, but still needs work if he wants to reach the next level.
[/quote]
What holding midfielders have stats in the 80%+ range? I bet they are from the big teams who use them less and have slightly less pressure. The teams who are in trouble, are their stats on the low side? Maybe due to them being besieged most games? Just wondering. His defensive numbers are pretty impressive.

But Johnson isn''t really a holding midfielder in the strict sense, he has the same license and remit as Tettey, I''d consider a holding midfielder as a solitary figure who sits in front of the back four, in the course of a game both Johnson and Tettey do this, sometimes they both do it.

Hughton''s system is intended to be fluid, sometimes it is and sometimes that seems to fail, but Johnson finds himself in the final third a fair bit - case in point, the awful cross to Holt the other week.

Where are you getting this figures by the way? I''d love to compare with other players.

By the way, I''m not saying that Johnson is a great passer, I think he needs to work on that aspect of his game, but he''s still only 25 and he has time to mature as a player.

We can be pretty sure that he will be working hard on this behind the scenes, it will take time for these players to be perfect Hughton players.

We''ve seen Hoolahan get into goalscoring positions more, no doubt he''s been working on that, in Hughton we trust... I think, and hope.

Despite his weaknesses, Johnson was a bargain... £0. We should also remember than less than two years ago he was a left midfielder, it has been a incredible transformation and one that is likely ongoing.

[quote user="Scottlarock"]What holding midfielders have stats in the 80%+ range? [/quote]
Tettey, pass success rate of 83%.
[quote user="Not Nigel"]But Johnson isn''t really a holding midfielder in the strict sense, he has the same license and remit as Tettey, I''d consider a holding midfielder as a solitary figure who sits in front of the back four, in the course of a game both Johnson and Tettey do this, sometimes they both do it. Hughton''s system is intended to be fluid,[/quote]
I agree with you to an extent. Yes, Johnson has licence to roam and often appears in advanced positions, but he is primarily a defensive midfielder. I use the term ''holding madfielder'' in a more modern sense. Yes, the traditional holding midfielder is someone who sits in front of the back 4 and just breaks up play and plays simple passes (Makélélé) but the modern holding midfielder in a 4-2-3-1 system often operates on a double pivot. Essentially when one goes forward, the other drops and vice versa. They''re still holding midfielders (or deep lying central midfielders) and their primary role tends to be defensive, but they offer more to the team in an attacking sense.
[quote user="Not Nigel"]Where are you getting this figures by the way? I''d love to compare with other players.[/quote]
http://www.whoscored.com/
I agree with the rest of your post though, Not Nigel. Johnson has developed well this season. I''d go so far as to suggest he is twice the player he was last season and I hope he continues to develop and become a really, really good player.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]An example of how ability is ignored so long as commitment and desire are present. BJ is not good enough for us if we wish to be an established premiership team. Championship standard.[/quote]

We need someone in midfield who can tackle otherwise we might as well let the opposition run straight at our back row. 

BJ is a average footballer, his passion and workrate makes it hard for fans to dislike himBJ as a massive limiation and if he realised his limiation he could be a really good footballer.We have a player in our 5-a-side team that reminds me of him, he runs all day long, gets stuck in and breaks up play, but when he gets the ball just gives it back to them, so whats the point in winning the ball?I really miss Foxa nd his finesse and whilst theres certainally a role for BJ, (Better sides away from home and Stoke) I really dont understand why we need Tettey and BJ. Tettey''s all round game is better for me, so BJ would have to make way.

Although BJ is obviously a very limited player due to his lack of pace going forward (although thats not his job), shots and passing, he does get stuck in. However Tettey is better defensive midfielder as he can put a foot in better, has more pace, can pass better; I think if howson had a better start to the season, BJ would have been more of a bench warmer, yet a valuable member to the squad.

In the summer I do think the key areas is to get 1 or 2 quality strikers and a quality centre midfielder.

[quote user="Not Nigel"]mrs miggins, I''d really like to see a pacy left winger, we only have one left winger....[/quote]

Yeah I suppose surman isn''t a natural pacy winger and could be sold in the summer. So....

A left back (Garrido or someone else)

Centre Midfield

Left Midfield

Striker(s)