Sign in to follow this  
It's Character Forming

Chris Martin to stay at Derby

I work with aDerby ST holder who says he has impressed them. They are trying to get a deal for the rest of the season, after which he is out of contract. So similar to the Ward situation at Forest.

He scored their winner at Leicester apparently

Chris Martin is a strange player there''s no doubt that he is the best finisher at the club ( he would have buried the one that Holt fluffed at Sunderland ) however as we all know it''s his desire and passion that''s the issue . Shame .

Have to agree with the above. The talent is there, the application is all too often not.

Good news about the contract extension with regards to the money

However when put into perspective I dubt we will get much more than around a third of what we will get for finishing just the one place higher in the PL.

If he was good enough he''d be playing for us, I''d say everyone that is currently out on loan is highly likely to leave us in the summer

[quote user="yoda"]Chris Martin is a strange player there''s no doubt that he is the best finisher at the club ( he would have buried the one that Holt fluffed at Sunderland ) however as we all know it''s his desire and passion that''s the issue . Shame .[/quote]

I don''t think it is his desire and passion that is a problem.

After all, he did just say he was not staying at Swindon as he knew he could play for a better team. That''s doesn''t suggest a lack of passion or desire to me.

The one biggest criticism of the past decades managers is their lack of being able to handle young and up and coming talent. In fairness perhaps Peter Grant got Martin right.

But since then I don''t think that he has been that well handled, sent off to Luton with his tail between his legs whilst being called tweedle-dum probably didn''t help.

I mean look at the dross we had in that season - you can''t tell me he wouldn''t have been more effective than most of them?

I''m glad it''s looking like he will make himself a move to Derby as he is capable Championship striker at the very least.

Lets not forget Man Utd were interested in him at one point. Makes you wonder, if he had gone to them, if he would be a premiership striker now?

I still think he could make it, at 24 he certainly has time on his side.

So, just how many City Manager''s have there now been who have given Chris Martin a chance? A good player no doubt, but one who has now probably found his level......we have moved on a level at least since he was a regular in the side....and continue to improve the squad with players much better than Chris Martin.....As for any comparison vs Grant Holt, not in the same league....oh yes, of course, at the moment on here, for  a few posters, any opportunity to have a dig at Grant Holt and you are in with both feet..............thats probably until Turner has a couple of bad games again...or Howson perhaps....or Johnson...  

The thing for me is that in L1 under Lambert he played regularly - 41 starts according to Wikipedia, then in the Championship he only had 21 total appearances with other players (mainly Jackson) getting more game time at his expense.

When we were promoted to the Prem, Martin started the first 3 games but basically lost his place and Lambert mainly used Holt with Morison or Jackson up front and he was sent out on loan.  After Hughton came in, he can''t have done enough to persuade the new manager to give him another chance in the Prem.

So both Lambert (after CM played the full season for him in L1 and plenty of games in the Champ) and Hughton have decided he''s not the answer to our striking needs in the Prem.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="yoda"]Chris Martin is a strange player there''s no doubt that he is the best finisher at the club ( he would have buried the one that Holt fluffed at Sunderland ) however as we all know it''s his desire and passion that''s the issue . Shame .[/quote]

I don''t think it is his desire and passion that is a problem.

After all, he did just say he was not staying at Swindon as he knew he could play for a better team.[/quote]Assuming that was heartfelt, and not just a way of getting back at Di Canio.  Which sort of underlines Martin''s problem.  He''s got ability but he has a chip on both shoulders.

He is a technical gifted footballer but he needs to leave Norwich now to develop his career. He isn''t going to get the run of games he needs here at this stage of his career.

I just don''t see where he fits in. He doesn''t have the physical presence of Holt, Becchio or Kamara to lead the line. I would always prefer to deploy Hoolahan as the link man between midfield and attack which is probably Martin''s best position.

I think he is certainly good enough to play in the Championship despite modest statistics at that level so far. He has the ability to do very well at Derby if he gets it right on and off the field. But ultimately that is up to him.

I watched Chrissy Martin play for Derby V Leicester. He scored a very good headed goal. His play overall was good. He definitely has a future at Championship level. I''m not certain if he can play at the Premiership level at the moment - he is behind Holt and Hoolahan, and he needs games for the sake of his career. It''ll be a loss to lose him in my opinion, as he definitely has something about him, and in the appearances he''s made in the Premiership he has looked decent. His biggest problem is a lack of pace as he''s not a ''lump''. But he''s definitely worth a cool £million, as he will do well in the Championship and maybe one day progress to the Premiership.

Cambridge, Martin isn''t a goal scoring striker though. Bar his attitude his main problem in my opinion is its hard to fit him into a side. In League One it worked as his ability matched with Hooalahn''s ability and Holts power provided a deadly attack with a more than competent defence and midfield behind them. That season I feel distorted many fans view of Martin. They expected a lot of goals in the Championship. Despite good performances most weeks (keeping Jackson on the bench for a large portion of the time Martin was fit that season) and still being heavily involved in attacking movements. His confidence started to drop in front of goal and he wasn''t taking on shots that he previously would.

I don''t think his attitude will change. He''s had Grant (I think), Roeder, Gunn, two managers at Luton, Lambert, Hughton, Dougie Freeman, Di Canio and now Nigel Clough manage him. And while most of them at some point rated him, probably still do, at what ever level, he''s always found a way to just sort of ruin it. And there is a wide range of management style there, and none of it has worked. I thought Di Canio would change him, but if he can''t, it would probably take someone like Fergie or Mourinho, and neither of them will be taking on Martin any time soon...

I was surprised he didn''t move to a Champ side in the summer, because he played well for Palace last season and managed to become joint top scorer (or top scorer) with only 2/3rds of the season, and in a pretty low scoring side. For me, Palace taking on Wilbraham instead of Martin just suggested they couldn''t afford him. He''ll almost certainly move on, I think despite not having a great attitude on the pitch at times, he still wants to be on the pitch and doesn''t react well to not playing. So will want to move on.

I would never judge him on his goalscoring ability alone Gingerpele. I accept straight away that he prefers to play in that number 10 role and drop deep to link the play. So obviously you don''t expect him to score as many goals as a result. He simply isn''t going to be in and around the penalty area enough.

I like Chris as a player and I think he brings some very good attributes to the table. But I''ll ask the question again to you Gingerpele. Where do you he fit into this squad of players? I think Wesley offers far, far more in that role off the striker knitting the play together.

Personally I think he had a disappointing season in the Championship the year we got promoted. He was in and out of the side a lot. Partly down to injury and there were other off the field issues which may or may not have affected him. That was something probably magnified by how easily both Holty and Wes made the step up. But I think he certainly good enough to have a decent career at that level if he wants it enough.

Cambridge: both Wes and Holt had played championship level before. In fact that is all Wes knew until our league one loan.

So reality is they didn''t make the same step up as Martin who had only experienced that run in the team Grant gave him at Champs level.

I thought he did very well in the champs when fit. Maybe not premier ship yet. I also think is ''attitude'' is something historical that the fans have hung on to for too long. Lambert would not have tolerated it - just look at Bent - and yet he was happy to use him for two seasons.

It wouldn''t be hard to annoy do Canio, he has an attitude and arrogance of his own. He could just be the next Roy Keane.

I see has been confirmed by the club this morning.  Remember, you heard it here first...

On City links in the E Mids, I see Forest are now storming up the table and are into the playoff zone although probably too late for automatic promotion.  Ward is a solid part of their team so expected to sign when his City contract expires in the summer. Lansbury seems to be doing well and playing regularly for them for those who are interested !

Unfortunately Ayala hasn''t even been in their squad the last few weeks so it''s doubtful he''ll make any progress this season, as their new manager won''t want to bring him into the team when they''re doing so well, even if he gets fully fit.

I think Ward is a bit unlucky. A very, very solid Championship defender - could end up playing against us next season. Solid in the air and good with the ball at his feet - pace possibly being his only downfall.

Wonder what he would have been like alongside Bassong? Not that Turner has done a bad job.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Ayala. He is still our youngest defender.