Sign in to follow this  
Skerritt

Jonny Howson

I feel he deserved a lot of credit for his performance against Sunderland. Criticised for not making many tackles but his work rate was exceptional. Not got the defensive side of Tettey but his desire to get back and stop the attacks was commendable. Although he didn''t make the tackles, whenever Graham or Johnson broke forward, he got himself infront of them so they had to stop and pass the ball back and the attacking speed was lost.

Well in Howson!

Agreed. He put in an excellent performance.

In general he hasn''t really deserved the level of criticism he has been getting.

I think he was given a little bit more licence to go and attack against Sunderland, I thought he tackled back well. Maybe not crunching tackles but a lot of clever nicking the ball off toes etc.

He''s a good player, I think one that will find his feet more as the team starts to be formed and bedded in. His passing and ball retention was far better too.

I also thought Johnson was better too.

I liked that Hughton appeared to go for a mixture of pace and skill - it would have been great to see that for 90mins with 11 men on the pitch. I very much fear for Sunderland if that had happened.

It really goes without saying that any player who has limited game time will generally improve in performance level as they get more game time, that''s all thats happened with Howson. He looked up to speed against Sunderland and performed really well because he is a quality player. I agree, with eleven for 90 minutes we could well have won comfortably, and compared to last seasons almost embarrassing display (yes we did have some very poor performances under PL too, although some on here have forgotten) at Sunderland we were unrecognisable.  

He will be disappointed with how this season has gone. But there is a very good midfielder there I think and I am a big fan of his. He is getting better with more match time. I still think that a midfield of Tettey and Howson might turn out to be our most effective combination in the long run.

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]

He''s better at darts than football ...

[/quote]

It''s a pity you''re not !

[quote user="Mister Chops"]A very poor man''s Damien Francis.

[/quote]

Yes, he always turned it on when it was really needed, didn''t he?

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]A very poor man''s Damien Francis.[/quote]

Yes, he always turned it on when it was really needed, didn''t he?

[/quote]Francis at 60% was better than Howson at 100%.

I''m genuinely surprised Francis hasn''t signed for QPR in the past 2 years, I know he''s long retired but he''d fit in like a glove there!

The key for Howson is game time. The more he gets, the better he''ll get. That was obvious at Leeds when he was captain and playing every week. i also think he can get better and better.