Sign in to follow this  
Skerritt

Can Whittaker be the defensive midfielder?

I know this may sound strange but defensively, Whittaker is solid, but as seen against Swansea and when he came on against Sunderland, he is Yaya Toure like in his ability to surge forward. Could be worth a punt?

[quote user="Skerritt"]I know this may sound strange but defensively, Whittaker is solid, but as seen against Swansea and when he came on against Sunderland, he is Yaya Toure like in his ability to surge forward. Could be worth a punt?[/quote]

I''d rather have Toure

he is a good option and I would rather have him than howson against wigan

however in the summer I want to be buying significantly better...

This has been mentioned before.

I''d say no at this point.

Firstly Hughton has said Tettey should be back for Wigan, secondly How son played brilliantly against Sunderland so should retain his place if you ask me.

Maybe Whittaker could play right wing ahead of Bennett?

He may be better "at  close quarters" tackling the midfield, but he has no more pace than Martin and backs away.  I think that he has the edge over Martin when it comes to going forward, and can actually beat his man by dribbling at speed, as we saw at Sunderland at the death.

The main point is that he has played in the midfield before, and is comfortable there, so he could quickly slot in if needed. Who would he replace? Tettey and Johno are first choice, surely? Would we replace one of them? Even Howson, much more of an attacking midfielder, had a good game on Sunday. We are also waiting to see if Butterfield has developed.

I think that he could probably be most useful in replacing Garrido, if it became necessary. Apparently in the past he has played right accross the back four.

We have to be mindfull of the fact that if Careful Chris had his way he would play with 5 defenders and 5 holding midfielders. lets use him as an attacking midfielder down the right side