Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Butterfield

I have always nurtured a lot of hope for this player. His reputation was impressive, albeit Lambo lower league level.

The injury was bad and recuperation has been slow. I would hope that things are now 100%, both physically and mentally and that we are in a position points-wise to give him at least a try out before the ending of the season. Seems highly likely. 

I may be wrong but he still qualifies as an 21 or under as thats the age he was when the season started and the registrations went in, so in theory he can still play for us without being named in the squad

He does need to be included in the 25-man squad.And he is: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2272082/Premier-League-25-man-squads-season-2012-13.htmlAll players born before 1st Jan 1991 need to be included in the 25-man squad list.As of next year, Adeyemi, Smith, Francomb and Rudd all need to be included in the 25-man squad if they are to be able to play. Only the Murphy brothers and Jed Steer, of our current squad, would not need to be included in 2013-14.

I might be wrong but I''d be surprised if he ever made much of an impact here.

I think you will be wrong, GJP, although you may be right about the rest of the season.

his injury was of horrific standards. and he is still very, very young.

his recovery, as mentioned, has been and is slow. however I can see him going out on loan for the first half of next season, then coming back and being a class midfielder for us.

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]I think you will be wrong, GJP, although you may be right about the rest of the season. his injury was of horrific standards. and he is still very, very young. his recovery, as mentioned, has been and is slow. however I can see him going out on loan for the first half of next season, then coming back and being a class midfielder for us.[/quote]

Well he''ll be 23 at the end of this season so he''s not really "very, very young".

Anyway, my guess is that by this time next year he''ll be a squad player at best - if he''s still at the club.

Though I could be wrong and I''ll certainly hold my hands up if I am but it''s not something I have to do very often.

23 is still young for a premier league player, and while we still have wes it would be understandable if he was a squad player at that age. however I really do think that he will come take hoops'' spot at some point next season.

What I liked about him in those few games he played for us was his passing. He seemed to find holes and tried some killer passes. Okay it was against poor opponent, but still.

In my opinion moaning about him in those games came from nothing. He might have been a bit static, but when you dont know your teammates that well yet and playing first games for a while he looked at least same level than Pilkington, Bennet, Surman and Howson.

Have to remember that Johnson looked very poor when used wrong so in some tactics Butterfield could be our new B.Johnson next season. Or then Hughton just cant fit him in and we never hear about him ^^

Football is sometimes like this, but I''m quite sure he can do just well in premiership in right formation and tactics. He has enough skill and being twofeeted is gift that is so underrated.

When you look Pilkingtons 1vs1 challenges and compare them for Snoddys and Bennet''s you seem to always guess what laters will do next, but Pilkington manages to surprise you and sometimes the opponent, because you really cant block both feets at same time ^^

[quote user="GJP"]

Though I could be wrong and I''ll certainly hold my hands up if I am but it''s not something I have to do very often.

[/quote]

Oooooh; get you(!)

;-)

Well Mungo. Tell me what part of his game isnt up for it? I wasnt at the CR, but I watched the game and didnt have much to complain.

So please give detailed opinion why he would not fit at least for the bench next season when Fox and few others are leaving and there are no rumours yet for getting new CAM role player.

And I really want to hear them detailed and related to the game.

[quote user="Lavanche"]What I liked about him in those few games he played for us was his passing. He seemed to find holes and tried some killer passes. Okay it was against poor opponent, but still. In my opinion moaning about him in those games came from nothing. He might have been a bit static, but when you dont know your teammates that well yet and playing first games for a while he looked at least same level than Pilkington, Bennet, Surman and Howson. Have to remember that Johnson looked very poor when used wrong so in some tactics Butterfield could be our new B.Johnson next season. Or then Hughton just cant fit him in and we never hear about him ^^ Football is sometimes like this, but I''m quite sure he can do just well in premiership in right formation and tactics. He has enough skill and being twofeeted is gift that is so underrated. When you look Pilkingtons 1vs1 challenges and compare them for Snoddys and Bennet''s you seem to always guess what laters will do next, but Pilkington manages to surprise you and sometimes the opponent, because you really cant block both feets at same time ^^[/quote]

This^

He was weak, ineffective, off the pace and slow. Generally useless. You really needed to be at the game to get an INFORMED opinion. And he had a hideous boy-beard.

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]He was weak, ineffective, off the pace and slow. Generally useless. [/quote]

I think most of us could use this to describe certain posters...[;)]

I saw Butterfield play in the Doncaster cup game and while impressed with his two footedness and skill he was brushed off the ball very easily a couple of times.

It will either take a very good pre season or loan spell next season before he can be considered for our first team.

I hope the young lad makes the grade though unlike some of our miserable posters!

Has a lot to learn to make it in the Prem - but Wes has shown you don''t have to be tall and two-footed to be a good Premier League player

I think he is one of  a group of midfielders we have who are not ready right now but need to show an improvement in the next 18 months or so.

Korey, Adeyemi,  Butterfield and Howson all have  potential but have yet to really show whether they are good enough at prem league level.   All prob have enough talentto be given until the end of next season but right now I would say none of them are performing well enough even intermittantly to warrant more time with us beyond there.   

As with a signing or RvW calibre I expect the quality of our midfielders to take a step up during the summer so those 4 will have to up their game to earn their place in a small 25 man squad - they need to really shine in the next 18 months or jog on.

I had great hopes of him when he came, but perhaps his injury has reduced more than expected. He is out on loan, but was on the bench at the week-end. He doesn''t seem highly rated there.

The clips we saw of him probably justified the money we paid out, and perhaps he needs a little more time post-injury to establish himself, bnut at the moment it is disappointing for us and for him.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Korey, Adeyemi,  Butterfield and Howson all have  potential but have yet to really show whether they are good enough at prem league level. 

[/quote]

No disrespect to Korey because he has done his bit for the club but there is absolutely no way Howson should be included with them. He is way ahead of them and for me there is no doubt that he can cut it at Premier League level.

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]He was weak, ineffective, off the pace and slow. Generally useless. You really needed to be at the game to get an INFORMED opinion. And he had a hideous boy-beard.[/quote]

No you really dont have to be in game to have informed opinion. There is stats and heatmaps for that these days so you know exactly same as person in the game and probably even more with zoom and replays etc.

I highly doubt you were there as a professional scout and watched him every minute he played and made notes. You were there as a fan and watched the ball and as you are quite negative person if I may say so you only saw those few negative moments.

Almost exact same words were said about Xavi without stupid boybeard comment 10 years ago. Butterfield isn''t Xavi and probably never will be, but was far from ineffective and useless.

He made in those games at least 3 passes that opened completely opponents lines and while you were eating your beard off by him being slow, I saw him changing his running route right after almost every of his passes and these both attributes alone are something we need.

Will Butterfield be the player or do we get someone other to do that job thats a different case, but Jacob is nowhere near the weakling you describe without real evidence behind it. At the moment we have exactly one player that can be played as advanced playmaker. If Hoolahan gets injured, what then?

I''m not saying that he should be or he ever would be a starter, but there is equal and even worse players on the roster and bench, but everyone of them have some perks that are useful in right formation and tactics.

It is quite funny how much people think that game changes in premier league, when only thing that really changes is tempo which just mean lots and lots of fitness training and getting used to it.

Everyone who can do great in championship and foreing premierships can do just fine in Premier league if they are used right by tactics and role. Some people shine in every team they play for and some can do it only in one or two teams. So stop slacking players that have given us only 2 games that really were not that poor as people make them be.

Players like Carrick, Evans Wellbeck and Cleverley are really nothing that special. Very one sided players, but SAF makes them great by making them play with their strenghts.

So judging player by two games where we didnt even play our strongest formation around him and where he was half fit is just something ridiculous.

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]23 is still young for a premier league player, and while we still have wes it would be understandable if he was a squad player at that age. however I really do think that he will come take hoops'' spot at some point next season.[/quote]

It''s not that young. It really isn''t.

As for taking Hoolahan''s place...only if Wes is injured or needs a rest and we don''t have anyone else to play there.

[quote user="GJP"]

there is absolutely no way Howson should be included with them. He is way ahead of them and for me there is no doubt that he can cut it at Premier League level.

[/quote]

Its all about opinions but I dont agree he has proven he can perform at this level.  

He has now made more than 30 appearances (25 starts) for and the only good performance was against arsenal away last season.   He moves well and looks good but he has to be more effective (BJ is the other way,  less talent, looks poor but is more effective with the relatively lower talent he has). Too often the game carries on around him with little creativity or defensive contribution from him.   We look a poorer team when he starts and too often he has been the weakest performer on the day.

There have been little snippets of encouragement which is why I think we should persevere with him next season.  but he needs to improve to justify a continued place in our squad.    I hope he will significantly improve and am happy to give him that time - but as with the other three he has to start showing it.