Sign in to follow this  
Ha ya got a loight boy?

RVW, GH, KK, LB,SJ

Plenty of strikers with back up.   Now who is going to supply the service to them?   To my mind this has been one of the main problems this season.  Pilks, Snodgrass, Bennett, Hoolahan, Johnson, Howson, Tettey all have to improve their deliveries and their teamwork. Maybe the blend hasn''t been right with the players we''ve got.  Maybe some of them are not up to the way Hughton wants to play.   The quality needed is the ability to defend in the way Hughton wants and then to move forward with pace and quality.  The players we have seem to be able to adapt to the defending but then often don''t seem to know what to do after that. The Sunderland match was better and hopefully that is a sign of things to come, but if not, we will need better players in there to support the strikers.  Can the midfielders we''ve got improve or do we need influx of pace on the wings and more accurate passers in central midfield?  

Some have no pace, but can pass (Snoddy, Wes?) Some have pace but don''t pass well (Tettey?). Some have neither ability especially but are terrific tacklers (who else but Johno?). Some are quick and creative, but do not tackle very well (Howson?) while others are very creative, but struggle defensively Fox?). You are right, -this is where we need improvement

We certainly need more creativity from the midfield, but we have three good wingers who are capable of creating crosses, although Pilks seems to blow hot and cold, and Bennett needs more games to gain confidence. The problem is in the centre who, when on song, are a formidable defenders but not paticularly creative.

For me the comparison with other clubs in respect of fullbacks suggests that we need creativity there also. Think of Rafael or Baines, but there are others, who manage to combine defensive duties with regular bombing down the wings. Martin, Whittaker and Garrido are pretty good at this, but because of the need to defend do not venture forward very often.

I suspect that CH and company are already working on this. Quick, creative and assertive midfielders do not grow on trees, and neither do high quality fullbacks,  but I think that this is where we need improvement

The quality we have in snod, pilks and wes is excellent and they look far better with a more mobile lone striker up front.

For me it is the central defensive pairing that is not quite right.

Only BJ & Tettey has looked like working for us,  any other combination has looked weak and toothless.    BJs industry is great but technically he loses the ball too often.    This forces the attacking three to come deeper to both collect the ball and provide a better defensive shield,  which in turn affects the attacking effectiveness.

Sign a marquee defensive midfielder and perm 2 from him and tettey or BJ and the others and that should allow a little more attacking freedom from our talented attackers    If we have enough money left over signing another creative will always be good

As I said on a previous post:

As City have just committed £8.5m to RVW, I can''t see another big money striker coming in as the squad needs strengthening elsewhere. I''d be happy with RVW, Holt, KK, and Becchio but an up and coming under-21 striker wouldn''t go amiss. Sadly, I think Fox will move on and a quality CM will be needed to replace him. Similar with Tierney so money would be required for signing Garrido and another quality LB as well as a quality CB to replace Leon. Even with more money coming in next year, the player budget isn''t infinite. Evolution rather than revolution means an emphasis on quality rather than quantity to me.

McNally was asked yesterday on Twitter, if he expected to be busy in the transfer market in the the summer, and he replied ''yes, very''. I would think there will be up grades everywhere, especially in central midfield, and I imagine the first moves are already being made. I can''t remember ever being so confident in our club''s ability to get who we need, at the price we can afford.

I was so impressed by Hughton in his evaluation of RVW; to quote 1st Wiz, the man just oozes class.

Yellow I feel over the last few seasons we have had a lot of transfer activity and a revolution is sometimes needed when you jump up the divisions as we have.

For me kk is earning a contract, could be a straight swap for sj, holty who knows but I do think we need another striker because of that. another similar to kk who can play wide, so if we play with a lone forward we have forward thinking wide players.

Lb has a everything we need in the box a great striker and one who will score goals.

We need that left back, creative midfielder, Pacey wide player and another striker - all to be starters, garrido may well fill the left side of defence hence I do not see it as a revolution at all.

A lot of players may leave, Vaughan, ward, Ayala but they have not been here... Fox and sj need to move on for the sake of their careers and holty, well who knows. Either way we have one hell of a player coming in.

I can''t wait to be roaring on the boys at Wigan, lets secure our status and begin to build. Certainly this signing can be seen as positive by our players or as negative if they feel they will be ousted from a starting spot. But time to prove that you are a force to be reckoned with in this league starting next weekend.

I think we''ll find a lot of players are shipped out before we get too many more in. The question I want answered though is whether we will be keeping Garrido or whether we will be looking elsewhere. He is a brilliant left back and has made nearly all of us forget about poor Tierney, but then he never showed the real quality we were looking for. A couple more options in defence is a must, the way it all goes to pot without Bassong is scary. Then, working our way forwards I''d say Bradley Johnson and Tettey are ample cover for each other in the defensive mid position. Plus Whittaker can fit into that role at a push. Then we have the mixed bag Howson, he put in a brilliant shift against Sunderland and it would be a shame to see him shafted as soon as Tettey is fit. Howson position, or lack of is a bit of an anomaly... I know where I''d play him, in Hoolahan''s position from the bench or rotating in different games, but Hughton clearly see''s differently. Almost definitely Pilkington needs cover in the left wing, swapping Snodgrass to the left worked in some regards but he wasn''t the same player. So a dedicated left winger to give pilks competition. On the right, Snodgrass and Bennet are both brilliant and hopefully Bennet gave Hughton to think about. Snodgrass is all but my player of the season at the moment. Hoolahan is where he is for a reason, he doesn''t get a long well elsewhere and for good reason. As I said before though, Howson can play here and should if Hoolahan isn''t available so there isn''t too much need to find someone else. And in another thread I said RVW, Holt, Kamara, Becchio should be our strikeforce for next season. 
All in all, I think Hughton will know already where he wants new faces and will probably even roughly know who. Happy days! 

I would expect a left back (either permanent signing of Garrido or otherwise), a quality holding midfielder and a pacey winger.

Snodgrass and Pilks are both good enough, Bennett can probably do a job, but we only have those three anyway, and someone with electrifying pace would just add that extra dimension.

A central midfielder who can both tackle, pass and ideally get up and down will be the next "big" signing to make. If we were going to spend any more really big money on one player, I would expect this to be the position.

We still need a real box to box player. I thought Tettey would do this but whether under instructions or otherwise he seems to restrict himself from forays into the opposing half. Maybe he will be given more freedom next year.

Felix fan I agree with your assessment of tettey and being under instruction. He certainly however was the type of player we have been missing for years. We need 2 creative midfielders as bj and tettey should be challenging for a position alongside the creative players. Obviously if injuries come about then we have seen an inept midfield this season. We cannot afford that for too much longer.

However I do not think pilky or eb will be starting many game next season,.eb has not progressed since arriving, has bags of energy but not of a quality to which we need. People mention his crossing, I have to admit I have wanted him to do well but his crossing has been poor with his chances this season and near the end of last season. He is a squad player and one that if there is no improvement next year should be moved on.

Pilky has plenty of ability and can turn it on, I do think with better players he can then show off his talents, but he is very inconsistent. He has never made mincemeat of any full back for a full 90minutes. We need two wingers who can actually terrorise the opposing full backs. Pilky''s distribution is good and and technically he is very good. But I do not think he has shown enough in games this season to say he is a def. starter next season.

Snoddy is our starter out wide and we will need a genuine starter who is a goal threat (eb 1 goal in 2 seasons is not enough). We will be in a position to pick up a genuinely exciting winger who can be a game changer.