Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Diego Capel

Available for £5m apparently

Exciting and quick Spanish talent. Not the most complete player, but has what we lack, a bit of pace and dynamicism.

Should we take the plunge? Maybe RVW can put a good word in?

If you do a bit of digging you''ll find there are a lot of links between him and Spurs.

Seems a bit crazy as he could struggle to get games if they manage to keep hold of Bale and with Lennon.

Plus I don''t think width is a priority.

Despite popular misconception, Pilkington is no slouch and if pure pace is what we want then Bennett is pretty quick along with Kamara.

Five million on a winger would be a tad risky when we have other positions we need to strengthen first.

I should imagine Garrido will be signed permanently in addition to Kamara.

What I think we need to get in:

- Left back: Tierney is clearly outgoing, rumours have us linked with Blackburn''s Martin Olsson and to be honest I would be chuffed with that. He can operate anywhere down the left so could give us a younger option for Garrido as well as back up / extra competition to left wing.

- Centre back: I think it is clear to all that we currently only have three centrebacks of prem quality in our squad - Bassong, Turner and R.Bennett. Barnett out and another more solid player in. Rumours: Curtis Davies.

- Centre Mid: Again I think we will say goodbye to some players here. Smith and Fox the most likely, but we have seen that in many games although not creative, strength is needed. So someone with a bit of strength and creativity is needed. Dare I say a bit of a Lampard? Obviously won''t be him. Rumours: Bridcutt.

- Striker: If the predictable is accurate we will have four strikers going into next season. RVW, Kamara, Holt and Becchio, that is quite an attacking array when you consider what we started this season with. Personally, and I somewhat expect, that if we get another striker in on a permanent deal (and if Vaughan doesn''t want to take that fifth spot) we will perhaps go for a younger player, say 20/21 who is up and coming, has a bit of pace and can be developed a bit. There were rumours in January of some of Europes younger strikers but none materialised or perhaps, had much validity. But it wouldn''t surprise me.

They would be my priorities first. But that doesn''t mean other areas won''t be tweaked.

One area that does remain a bit of an open question is goalkeeper.

Right now we have Ruddy, Bunn and Camp with Rudd and Steer as younger understuddies along with the chap recently brought in from Luton. Rudd and Steer are out of contract. In a worse case scenario it would leave us with Ruddy, Bunn and the Luton lad. If he wants to, I can see Camp kept on for another season. Rudd allowed to leave, Steer given a new contract and loaned out for another season. Either way it looks even more important that we have some experience in three keepers rather than just two.

As a youngster in Sevilla Capel was absolute monster and many thought he would be one of the big names in the future.

Obviously he never made on the level of his hype and instead of moving to big clubs he moved to Sporting where he has played quite well.

He is at least in same level in dribbling than Hoolahan and Snoddy and his pace is probably at the level of Bennet if not higher.

In Sevilla he made his name with those long wide runs, but his crossing was always somehing to improve. I havent seen enough Sportings games that I can say this or that about where his quality in that area is now, but if we play game based for countering he could be quite an asset when we need to get ball fast to last third. Another thing with him is that he isnt goalscoring winger or at least wasnt in Sevilla, Pilkington proably is better on that are, but hard to judge before he would have few premiership games under his belt.

We have only Pilkington for left wing ( well Surman, but his injuries seems to be never ending). 5 million from him is quite good price and I dont think that is inflated at all for a player that is just stepping in his prime and you more or less know what you get with that money.

Ofc we again could find a equal with less money and do Hughton see left side as that important place to improve that we would spend our second highest transfer ever for it is different question.

When I saw his interviews back in 2008 when he was just getting in Sevilla''s team he seemed to be really nice chap and his energy and work rate was always very high sometimes he was overcharged and that influenced his end result.

Good player and well worth of that 5 million, if we need ever running winger for left side.

(just realised we are speaking again about pounds ^^ damn you euros Well 5 million pounds still sounds quite good price, but 5 million euros would be very good price, if not steal from him)

will depend on how long his contract has to run and if he is co-owned like RVW, which is very common in Portugal. he turned 25 last month and played for all the Spain age groups up to full international in ''08 when he got 2 caps. nothing since then, and he is 5-8" tall.

Sounds like a decent prospect, we could do with a deadly winger - although I''d like to see Benno get a decent run

IMO a winger is a priority in the summer. We only really have 3 wingers in our squad: Bennett, Snodgrass and Pilkington and I would say that only Snodgrass and Pilkington are truly premiership quality. Bennett is till young and raw though so he is definitely worth having in the squad. 
Out of those three though, Bennett is the only one with pace, while the other two are a lot more skillfull and better at dribbling with the ball. If we could bring in a combination of a Bennett and a Pilkington then we will be laughing. I imagine that in order to do that we have to looks at the Dutch, Spanish or Portugese wingers, they tend to have the technical ability an the pace, but do tend to lack in their defensive game.
Eljero Elia is another player i have always liked, on the fringe of the dutch squad and is blessed with tons of pace and technical ability. If we are signing players of RVW''s level, then these are the sort of wingers we should be looking at too.
Saying all this, we definitely need another striker, DM, FB and CB as well, but with the expected reduction in current squad players coupled with the largest transfer budget in NCFC history, I don''t see a problem in improving in all these positions.

Depending on how you look at it we actually have four or six wingers.

Left: Pilkington and Surman.

Right: Snodgrass and Bennett.

Then you have Hoolahan and Butterfield - the latter a lot more of a wide player.