Sign in to follow this  
SnakepitCanary

Van Wolfswinkel reportedly joining

This is an execellent first signing for the summer if true.   Him off Kei in 4231 is an exciting prospect with Becchio and Holt as options - that a decent squad. He has learnt his trade across Europe, is only 24, is suited to the prem league and the best is yet to come.    Other options would include Kadlec for me - and I would consider adding him to the squad if Holt wanted to move on or we got a decent offer.

Now we need to get in a biglia type to play along side Tettey and we have an excellent 4231 model with good coverage for most positions

Ruddy      Bunn

Martin      Whittaker

Bassong    Bennett

Turner        New

Garrido      New

Tettey         Johnson

New            Howson

Pilkington      New

Snodgrass     Bennett

RvW            Hoolahan

Kamara        Holt/Becchio         

Add in youngsters and thats a fine looking squad that should be able to attack more fluently than at the moment. 

[quote user="Polen"]First i want to correct my posts.

The value is not 12 M euros but between 10 and 12 M euros.

Bigfish, if hes not that good, how the hell has he, at the moment, almost 50 goals since he arrive in 11/12 season?

I see each and every single game in the stadium.

And i dont only track the ball. I watch the team movements, positions, and so on...therefore i dont agree to what is discrebed there.

Yes, he needs some more muscle to the PL but hey, remember how CRonaldo and Nani improved on this aspect?

If he is not that good, why Din. Kiev, Newcastle, fiorentina and sone other clubs were following him?[/quote]Thats good to hear, thanks for your input.

Unfortunately, your forum is a little bit disorganized but in case you have time to spent there are lot of comments ive made back in january.

"Bigfish, if hes not that good, how the hell has he, at the moment, almost 50 goals since he arrive in 11/12 season?"

To call 37 goals in all competitions "almost 50 goals" is a huge exaggeration.

"I see each and every single game in the stadium"

And imagined a lot of goals which didn''t happen it seems.

"Yes, he needs some more muscle to the PL but hey, remember how CRonaldo and Nani improved on this aspect?"

Cristiano Ronaldo was 18 when he signed for Man Utd, and Nani was 19. Of course an 18 or 19 year old is likely to develop physically, Van Wolfswinkel is 24!

"If he is not that good, why Din. Kiev, Newcastle, fiorentina and sone other clubs were following him?"

You don''t know that they are, do you? Speculation? Just like this Norwich bid is speculation until confirmed by either club? Peter Kenyon will be feeding the papers all sorts about the players that he owns.

"Im portuguese and to put hugo almeida at same level as RvW....only a joke. The dutch is far way better"

You would say that, you are a Sporting Lisbon fan and Huge Almeida is a former Porto player. His record over the past seven years speaks for itself. If Hugo Almeida is not that good then why have Everton, Sunderland, Valencia, and why did Jose Mourinho want to take him to Real Madrid?

Sorry but if you are saying that Van Wolfswinkel is better because he is Dutch, which is what you appear to be suggesting - which is ludicrious because we all once had to watch Fernando Derveld - and are justifying that by saying that he was linked to Dinamo Kiev, then I''m going to

I have no idea what the relevance of his nationality is, but as far as I recall Portugal got to the semi-final of the European Championships in 2012 and Holland failed to qualify from the group stage. The second best player in the world is Portuguese.

I really can''t see what him being Dutch has got to do with it, especially as he has 1 cap which came three years ago while Almeida has 45 caps and 16 international goals and was wanted by Mourinho at Real Madrid about two years ago.

I''m struggling to take you at face value.

I meant...

"Sorry but if you are saying that Van Wolfswinkel is better because he is Dutch, which is what you appear to be suggesting - which is ludicrious because we all once had to watch Fernando Derveld - and are justifying that by saying that he was linked to Dinamo Kiev, then I''m going to counter that with Almeida being linked to Mourinho at Real Madrid"

SkySports Journo has just tweeted and said that this is legit, and they expect confirmation from Sporting today at some point.
https://twitter.com/GraemeBailey

I should imagine this is dependent on us staying up.

Also what does 10million Euro''s equate to? 8million pounds.

If that what was being asked for Hooper them I''m happy we went with this option.

He''s a good player.

Oh and Zippers, don''t often disagree but Johnson is a better all round player than Tettey. I''m also unsure whether Surman is so easy to write off.

Only time will tell.

Be careful of the contradictions Nigel, you dismiss Polen''s comments about RVW being watched by other clubs as speculation, then immediately back up your claim Almeida seems a better prospect by saying he is being watch by clubs....

Also, Polen has been nothing other than a good source of info for us on this matter, he certainly is more informed than you on this situation, so lets give people a chance to share their ''informed'' opinions before angrily banging our keyboard with such contradictory blah..... 

"Be careful of the contradictions Nigel"

That wasn''t a contradiction, it was a jibe at the way that he used pure tabloid talk to attempt to sell him as a great player when I showed that I could do exactly the same thing with Almeida to prove the same. Nobody could claim that Almeida is Real Madrid class... unless you find some speculation somewhere on the internet from a well known website, in which case you can.... see?

"Also, Polen has been nothing other than a good source of info for us on this matter, he certainly is more informed than you on this situation"

You mean he speaks Portuguese and reads Portuguese newspapers? I''d be interested in knowing whether their papers are any more reputable than our own media.

"So lets give people a chance to share their ''informed'' opinions before angrily banging our keyboard with such contradictory blah....."

Sorry that you couldn''t see what I was trying to do. You may not care.... but I have said several times over the past couple of months that there are players that I''d prefer to Van Wolfswinkel and that opinion hasn''t changed. I think £9m is a lot of money.

This same bloke has said that the Portuguese league is better than Ligue 1 (French top league), and that''s complete rubbish.

I can also remember Helder Postiga and how much of a flop he was at Spurs (from Porto). Even more so Hugo Viana at Newcastle (from Sporting Lisbon), and if Jose Bosingwa (Porto) is a £16m player then I''m Lionel Messi. I''m sure Polen would have rated those players pretty highly before they came to the Premier League too. I''m just not convinced that this is the best we could have spent our money on, I''d have preferred to look in Spain.

Carlos Vela would have been huge, but Arsenal have a £4m buy back clause and there is talk of him going back there.

I''d be glad if this is true - talk about getting our summer transfer activity done early !

I don''t know anything about the player but CH has shown good judgement on transfers so far.  Also every player that has come in and done well has been knocked beforehand as not good enough on here - Turner, Bassong, Snoddy, Tettey, Whittaker all had people who were dubious on here before they signed.  So I would be cautiously optimistic, based on the fact that CH would only shell out this sort of money if he was confident about the player.

Sorry but your attitude acts as a perfect example of why many people do not use this board any more. You just appear to have anger issues.......

Not Nigel - On what do you base YOUR opinion that there are players you would prefer to Van Wolfswinkel?

Have YOU actually seen him play or have you watched games on TV in which he has played?

Assuming that Polen is telling the truth that he has watched most home games at Sporting that Van Wolfswinkel has played in then surely his opinion must be worth something?

Unfortunately i''m going to have to ignore this until something more than newspaper reports come out. Yes there are lots of them, but its not like thats the first time its happened. Some were convinced he would sign in January, same with Hooper early on in the window, so were many ''news'' outlets.

Would be a great signing if we do pull it off. But despite me personally not being worried about relegation what so ever, I wouldn''t think McNally and co would be signing a €10/12 million player with safety not guaranteed, as if we did go down, that would probably be all the transfer budget for a Championship season...

Hi Not Nigel,

Let me clarify somethings because probably my English is not

the best.

In fact he didn’t score almost 50 goals,  I thought he had 49 but he has 39 goals.

When I speak about Nani and CR is regarding the bodybuilding

and preparation you do there. It isn’t directly linked to the age.  But a guy with 75 kgs and 1.86 meters it has

potential to grow in terms of mass.

You have linked this to the age. It’s true a factor but not

the most important one, for sure.

Jimmy Hasselbaink came to England at the age of 25, from a

medium Portuguese team and developed his physique a lot.

When I’ve mentioned these clubs it’s a little more than

speculation, in fact he was followed by scouts from these teams. 100% sure.

Besides, you say I’m speculating, but then you speak about

Almeida going to real Madrid… no comments.

I didn’t say is beeter because he’s dutch. I’ve just said he

his better. Period. Probably because I wrote “dutch”, you had the perception

that the nationality was a factor.

When I said, I watch every game on the stadium, it’s just to

give you an ideia that I pay attention to everything. His movements, how he

handles with the markings; the offsides traps; the ball receives; controls; and

so on.

I look to the player in all his aspects and not only for the

goals he scores.

Right know he is on a lower form, but it’s because the team

plays sh**; usually the beginning eleven has an year average of 22 years old

and he plays completely alone in the attack.

Imagine you, receiving a high pass of 40 meters, receive the

ball, having the pressure of 2 opponents and the closest team mate is 20 meters

away…

Yeah, he is missing some goals lately, mainly due to a lack

of confidence, but I don’t see the other team mates scoring goals.

One thing is to be fed in the area 5 or 6 times to goal. The

other is to have only 1 good chance in 90 minutes…

PS - ok. he only has 1 cap but hey, if you have money to buy van persie or huntellar, go for it.

"Sorry but your attitude acts as a perfect example of why many people do not use this board any more. You just appear to have anger issues......."

When 37 can be classed as nearly 50.....

Do you not wonder though, if this bloke is really that good, then why hasn''t he got more than 1 Holland cap? I''ve calculated that there are about twelve Dutch strikers about him in the pecking order. I know that they have two world class strikers, but twelve?

"Unfortunately i''m going to have to ignore this until something more than newspaper reports come out. Yes there are lots of them, but its not like thats the first time its happened"

Exactly. One newspaper runs with a story and every other one will copy it. If it turns out untrue, they will simply blame the first one to run the story. Happens in all of our papers.... one paper has an exclusive, every other one runs the exact same story the next day. But that''s my point.... being able to read Portuguese newspapers

For some perspective, the original post has a link to a website which thanks to Google translate I worked out belongs to a sports newspaper with a circulation of 28000, and that''s national. The Norwich Evening News has a circulation of 20000.

Regarding Ligue 1, of course the portuguese league is better.

now you have PSG with a bank behind, but see our clubs performance.

even Porto and Benfica which are currently the best 2 teams have annual budget for all football (not only salaries) of around 30 million pounds.

tell me what is the budget of middle teams there and compare.

if there are better players? of course; Falcao who belonged to Porto; Jackson Martinez but do you have 25 million pounds? the same for Cardozo of benfica, 15 million pounds?.

you speak about Almeida, he his a fairly good player who just reached the current step because is agent is Jorge Mendes.

then you speak about Viana in Newcastle. Viana went to england with 21 or 22 years old. it was not easy to him to adapt to the game style; the country; specially the north area of England.

didnt understand the 12th pecking position.

what do you mean with that? and where did you get that?

I am more than willing to put some trust in your analysis and opinion Polen.

Thanks for the input.

Some of the input we got from Celtic fans regarding Hooper insulted our Club. You comprehend the respective positions re: NCFC and RVW very well.

Indeed, should he come have a massive impact upon the Premiership then we will act as a stepping stone. If not, he will at least have a lot to offer our cause. Either way we will likely have acquired a very good player at a decent price. 

[quote user="Not Nigel"]"

When 37 can be classed as nearly 50..... [/quote]Even so, 37 goals is still 17 more than Holt has managed in the PL in the same period. I realise that''s an "apples & oranges" comparison, but that''s all we have.[quote user="Not Nigel"]"Do you not wonder though, if this bloke is really that good, then why

hasn''t he got more than 1 Holland cap? [/quote]He is only 24. I''d argue Holand has more classy strikers at the moment than England, yet he''s managed one cap. Hooper on the other hand hasn''t even been called into the England squad and is the same age, so...Before we slate him, lets;1) Make sure he''s coming; and2) At least look at him before we slate him.

"When I speak about Nani and CR is regarding the bodybuilding and preparation you do there. It isn’t directly linked to the age. But a guy with 75 kgs and 1.86 meters it has potential to grow in terms of mass"

Yes you are right, he can bulk up and work on his upper body strength, but that takes a long time. This player could peak late. Look at Suarez who had an inconsistent first season, and look at Van Persie who wasn''t World Class until he hit 27. But I don''t know whether a club like Norwich can wait for a player to mature when realistically we are going to be in a relegation battle every season and desperately need a striker who is going to do the business from the off.

"Jimmy Hasselbaink came to England at the age of 25, from a medium Portuguese team and developed his physique a lot"

If this bloke is half as good as Hasselbaink I will be delighted.

"When I’ve mentioned these clubs it’s a little more than speculation, in fact he was followed by scouts from these teams. 100% sure"

How do you know this? Just out of interest? I mean I''m sure every player at big clubs gets scouted, every single one, but just wondering how you know?

"Besides, you say I’m speculating, but then you speak about Almeida going to real Madrid… no comments"

I thought that this was a good example of how papers link all sorts of clubs to all sorts of players. We once had Chris Martin to Manchester United, Derby fans don''t think that they are getting the next Rooney!

"When I said, I watch every game on the stadium, it’s just to give you an ideia that I pay attention to everything. His movements, how he handles with the markings; the offsides traps; the ball receives; controls; and so on"

Is he better than Helder Postiga?

"Imagine you, receiving a high pass of 40 meters, receive the ball, having the pressure of 2 opponents and the closest team mate is 20 meters away"

This is what our strikers have to do every game, actually, unfortunately....

"One thing is to be fed in the area 5 or 6 times to goal. The other is to have only 1 good chance in 90 minutes…"

That''s the problem though, if he expects to get 5 or 6 chances a game here then he had better go somewhere else. One good chance a game is more than Holt, Becchio, or Kamara currently get, and if he was getting 5 or 6 good chances a game last season then perhaps we can all see why he scored so many goals. He won''t ever get 5 or 6 chances a game in this league unless he is playing for Man Utd.

"PS - ok. he only has 1 cap but hey, if you have money to buy van persie or huntellar, go for it"

I don''t understand why our striker has to be Dutch. I acknowledged that they have TWO world class strikers, but I see 12 strikers above him in the pecking order. Kuyt granted, he offers something different, but there are a good eight or nine others who have achieved nothing of note and several kids ahead of him. Holland are good, but they aren''t THAT good. There are a few strikers in Spain that I''d have been interested in.

Nothing worse than coming on a messageboard to find a keyboard warrior who has apparently watched a player play numerous times - just how have you managed to do that ''Not Nigel''?RvW could easily bulk up during the summer, it is nowhere near as hard as you make out.I''ve only seen RvW play in one Europa League match against Man City last season, he scored, and look half decent.  Journos and Sporting fans seem to like him, I don''t think he''s a dud.

"then you speak about Viana in Newcastle. Viana went to england with 21 or 22 years old. it was not easy to him to adapt to the game style; the country; specially the north area of England"

I know that he was a good player, so was Helder Postiga, but they both flopped badly and were both big money signings. That''s why I''m not getting excited by a player who scores twenty odd goals with 5 or 6 chances a game.

"Regarding Ligue 1, of course the portuguese league is better. now you have PSG with a bank behind, but see our clubs performance."

The top three teams in your league are currently marginally better than the top three teams in the French league, especially in recent years with Portuguese clubs doing well in Europe..... but PSG, Lyon and Marseille are very strong clubs/teams, outside of the top three or four teams I do believe that the French league is better than the Portuguese league. Please remember that I am not comparing the Porto v PSG, I''m comparing the likes of Bordeaux, Rennes, and Toulouse (mid-table) with the likes of Marítimo and Rio Ave. Your league is very similar to the Scottish league of old, when Rangers and Celtic were very strong in Europe, but nobody else was anywhere near their quality in the league.

"if there are better players? of course; Falcao who belonged to Porto; Jackson Martinez but do you have 25 million pounds? the same for Cardozo of benfica, 15 million pounds?"

Oh come on, your just being patronising now. I''ll have Messi, Ronaldo, Kaka, and Ronaldinho. I don''t know why everything has to be about Portuguese and Dutch players, the transfer fees in both of those countries are massively over inflated, you don''t get many bargains from those leagues. France, Spain, Scandinavia, possibly even Italy. I''ve already given three names of strikers that I thought would be bargains. I also really liked Abdul Majeed Waris from the Swedish league but he went to Russia recently.

"you speak about Almeida, he his a fairly good player who just reached the current step because is agent is Jorge Mendes"

Really don''t understand what this means, but Jorge Mendes also owns half of Van Wolfswinkel right? If so... what does that say about him? Almeida''s record speaks for itself, he''s a man beast.

Polen, thanks a lot for your input.

Hughton''s record on transfers so far suggests that, if this transfer goes ahead, the Wolf may be a prove a good signing.

Estou ansioso por ver o lobo. Muito obrigado e bom dia!

If RVW signs it looks like what Cityangel predicted way back in the summer of 2010 and 2011 and then yet again in 2012 that Grant Holt''s days are numbered might just be right. [:D]

"Nothing worse than coming on a messageboard to find a keyboard warrior who has apparently watched a player play numerous times - just how have you managed to do that ''Not Nigel''?"

Really? There''s nothing worse? What about getting your foreskin stuck in your zip? Or getting to your car to find the windowscreen frozen over and your deicer bottle empty? Or writing 2000 words of a report and your computer crashing without you having saved it? Or spilling coffee over your cream carpet? Or stubbing your toe?

I like a bet, especially live betting through betfair. Although La Liga is my favourite league because they have weird kick off times like 10pm at night and stuff.