Sign in to follow this  
Since 1980

Wolfswinkel v Hooper

1. Winkel, however noone knows who would adjust to the Prem better. RVW sure did score loads of pens so hard to judge.

2. I think we will, if not him then definitely atleast one more striker.

3. I think he was a short term option personally, already finding chances hard to come by in the team, let alone with more quality additions upfront.

At least the Portuguese and Dutch league is marginally better than the Scottish. We can''t write off beccio until he''s had a proper chance. I think Hooper deal is well and truly over. Unless he becomes available for less than 5m.

1. RVW

2. Hope not. Didn''t want him here in Jan

3. No, still has a lot to offer

[quote user="Mervmeister"]1. Winkel, however noone knows who would adjust to the Prem better. RVW sure did score loads of pens so hard to judge.

2. I think we will, if not him then definitely atleast one more striker.

3. I think he was a short term option personally, already finding chances hard to come by in the team, let alone with more quality additions upfront.[/quote]
Quite the opposite for Becchio, actually. He''s played for the development squad, I think he is a long term answer. He won''t be first choice, that''s quite evident, but he will be a good option from the bench and good back up to injured players.
As for Hooper... I really wanted him in January, but his lack of goals since then has been a bit out of character. Maybe he felt pressure to still perform so there is a move for him in the summer and has subsequently tripped over himself... all I know is his price needs to dramatically fall from earlier estimations if he is to come here. RVW, for sure.

1. No contest - RVW (I was actually concerned in January that signing Hooper would rule out signing RVW in the summer!)

2. Think we should strengthen the rest of the squad first (CM, Garrido and another LB, and a quality CB to replace Leon)

3. Too early to judge LB, who will have a role to play next year.

I think that there is no question that RvW is the better player, from nearly every point of view. He has performed at the highest level, and scored freely. Hooper''s recent record has been in the Scotish Premiership, against some teams of English Championship level, or lower. In the last tie in Europe, Hooper cut a fairly forlorn figure and made little impact. (I might add, for what it is worth, that a season or two ago RvW scored a hat trick against Celtic!)

I can''t see us going for Hooper now, especially if Celtic still want in excess of £5m. (Perhaps they will have to temper their demand, now that the time left on his contract is less.) If CH does continue with his 4-5-1 formation, either RvW or Hooper would play only part games.

Yes, if Becchio does not perform I would expect him to go, if we maintain our Premiership status. With the constraint of a squad of 25, including two in every position, it makes it difficult to have too many strikers. If he is not getting too many games, he may ask to go.

RVW is technically gifted. Look at his touch and the way he hits a ball, so much power from very little effort. A proper product from a first class dutch coaching system, who''s system like the Spanish, is light years ahead of English. Hooper is not technically gifted. More a poacher who has a knack of scoring but offers very little else. IMO RVW is in another league to Hooper and I''m delighted we''ve signed him.

Becchio has a bit of experience in him, and is clearly a good goal scorer - we shouldn''t write him off yet, he hasn''t had much of a chance so far - but he provides more than Morison did

That is an excellent point AJ. I may be wrong but Bechio looks an excellent signing and just needs a few games under his belt.

1 - Wolfswinkel by far. We underpaid for him and would have massively overpaid for Hooper2 - 3 - Becchio definitely has a future with us. He''s a natural goalscorer and once given a chance will prove himself. Can definitely see him getting in front of Holt in the pecking order

I think it would be unfair to say which one is best. Personally i think we will sign hooper as they would make one of the best striker pairings in the premier league as they compliment each others abilty (not literally through talking though). Although hooper will be cheaper i think he can have the same impact as RVW will have to the team..........very excited, can''t wait till the summer.

I don''t know why people go on about Bechio''s future; he was just a replacement for Morison who wanted to leave. Although i liked moro, he didn''t seem a goal threat whereas the swap for Bechio (plus £1m) meant we had someone who wanted to make a step up, someone who was available (leeds need money and its a good deal for them too) as well as someone who was scoring alot of goals.

In regards to the Hooper subject, lots of clubs will be wanting his signature, for example spurs. However Hooper will probably be a bit part player for spurs seeing as though they have defoe and adebayour(thats not how you spell it is it) and therefore doubt they will spend over £6m for him, yet we should. Surely paying perhaps a little more for him than his contract would suggest (only 1 year left) is crucial to get him on board as it would help the team as an attacking unit with RVW, i wouldn''t be saying that if we still had holt as the main striker next season

Wolfie all the way. Has been consistent all the way through his career and scores for fun in Europe (including a hat-trick against the Bhoys).

As someone else has said, £8.5m for Hooper is massively over-priced and it''s quite a bargain for a Dutch international striker

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

Wolfie all the way. Has been consistent all the way through his career and scores for fun in Europe (including a hat-trick against the Bhoys).

As someone else has said, £8.5m for Hooper is massively over-priced and it''s quite a bargain for a Dutch international striker

[/quote]This season? Sporting were rubbish even in the EL. Wolfie scored only one goal in the group stage, where Sporting finished last.