Sign in to follow this  
Lord Horn

Strikers for next season

Seems to me we now have a potential surfeit of strikers for next season - who would you prefer to stay/leave?  Personally I think it is curtains for Chrissy and Simeon but I''m wavering as to what happens to Vaughan.

I think we need 4 strikers while playing 4231 (which I think will remain the plan next year) so am assuming Ricky, Kei and Becchio and hopefully holt.    I would be comfortable allowing vaughan,  martin and cinamon to leave.   

Fingers crossed Kei signs - if it does not happen for any reason than I would still allow all three to leave and look for another.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

I think we need 4 strikers while playing 4231 (which I think will remain the plan next year) so am assuming Ricky, Kei and Becchio and hopefully holt.    I would be comfortable allowing vaughan,  martin and cinamon to leave.   

Fingers crossed Kei signs - if it does not happen for any reason than I would still allow all three to leave and look for another.

[/quote]

That was my thinking as well if push came to shove.

On Vaughan. He will be at best 5th choice with what we have (Technically 6th if Simeon stays) and he will WANT to go somewhere and play. He seems to have taken to ''Uddersfield, so they would be favs.

Martin defo off. SJ? more than likely imo

Michy Batshuayi to join as well please. Next big Striker from Belgium apparently. 19 yrs old and Apparently makes Benteke look shite. Wonder how much he would cost mmmmm....

Think Jackson, Vaughan and Holt will go and Kamara not good enough. Can see another 2 coming in at least. Have no idea but would not be surprised to see another European striker and maybe Hooper.

[quote user="Canary Willo"]Think Jackson, Vaughan and Holt will go and Kamara not good enough. Can see another 2 coming in at least. Have no idea but would not be surprised to see another European striker and maybe Hooper.[/quote]

Jackson and Martin have sat in the out-tray since the New Year now, or before.

There are some mysterious happenings surrounding Grant Holt at the moment.

Vaughan''s situation is peculiar, cash in if we can, I suppose.

Kamara not good enough? I can''t agree there. I still don''t quite fathom the Becchio signing myself except that it might have been for insurance reasons, as with Lee Camp. Having said that, I would like the player to be given a proper chance to show his worth rather than dismiss him just yet. I do feel that KK has more to offer though.

As City have just committed £8.5m to RVW, I can''t see another big money striker coming in as the squad needs strengthening elsewhere. I''d be happy with RVW, Holt, KK, and Becchio but an up and coming under-21 striker wouldn''t go amiss. Sadly, I think Fox will move on and a quality CM will be needed to replace him. Similar with Tierney so money would be required for signing Garrido and another quality LB as well as a quality CB to replace Leon. Even with more money coming in next year, the player budget isn''t infinite. Evolution rather than revolution means an emphasis on quality rather than quantity to me.

Holt, Jackson, Martin and Vaughan will leave.

KK and one other striker to sign (hopefully not Hooper)

RVW, Holt, Becchio, KamaraI''d like to have seen Vaughan make a go of it here, he showed some real potential and commitment in preseason but sometime it''s just not to be. That line up looks soopoib to me.

Did not mean to seem dismissive Broadstairs re Kamara, just if RVW is the standard we are to set then at least one other striker will have to be at his level with 2 back up.

Would like to see Kamara or someone his style come in. I agree cant see longevity in Becchio, happy to be proved wrong.

Need an up and coming striker, maybe one in Champ or this could be one from Europe, cant see Holt staying as there appears a lot going on around him.

It''s good to discuss issues like this, but in the end it will be the judgement of CH and his colleagues who decide. I make this point because they have had more opportunity to form a judgement on the players.Their opinions seem to have been hinted in sending Martin and Vaughan on loan, and hardly ever selecting Jackson.

For what it is worth I expect to see RvW, Becchio and possibly Holt (-if he doesn''t get regular football, will he want to stop?) remain. Martin will be off, I think, and probably Vaughan. The latter was the only striker who made an impression pre-season last summer, but CH virtually never picked him afterwards, and then sent him on loan. Jackson''s contract will be up and I think that his days are numbered. I think it likely that KK will remain, unless Kansas hold out for a very high transfer fee.

One interesting question is whether CH intends to try to sign another striker, perhaps a young and promising one partly financed by fees received from Holt, Vaughan and Martin. My guess is that he will, because we looked a little thin when Holt was injured this season, and if RvW were to be injured or suspended..... Another question arises from the question of how near some of the youngsters are to being selected. They are scoring goals freely at their level currently.

A most interesting question is whether CH will stick to his 4-5-1 formation, or whether other signings will increase creativity in midfield and defence to permit other shapes - 4-4-2, or 4-3-3, for instance. If he is wedded to 4-5-1, then we hardly need 5or 6 strikers on high wages, but if if he improves the skill level elsewhere, then who knows....?

Agree with Broadstairs about Holt. You cannot deny he will have a lot of thinking, up in Carlisle this weekend, with just him on his own and the kids.

(That isn''t meant to be stirring it btw)

It just seems ''different'' these days. We cannot expect him to be firing like he has the past 3 seasons, things do change

"Did not mean to seem dismissive Broadstairs re Kamara, just if RVW is the standard we are to set then at least one other striker will have to be at his level with 2 back up."

Assumed that Willow, but our feet must remain on terra firma despite the elation of seeming to secure the Wolfswinkel. I can''t envisage anymore £8.5m forward signings just yet though.

Kamara could not have made a better impact IMO, despite quite difficut circumstances for our team and his own his own fitness levels. He took on the mantle of lone striker quite admirably against Sunderland last week and I do feel that this role utilizes his strengths to the full.

Clearly superb in the air, he has pace, skill and a lot more to show us all once fully acclimatized. 

RVW, GH (fully in condition etc.,) KK and Becchio will suffice for me as an attack to start the season. If GH or the latter flouder, we can adjust at the window.  The Hoots likes insuranco so I can see a.n.other, perhaps Vaughan after all.

[quote user="Stig"]RVW, Holt, Becchio, KamaraI''d like to have seen Vaughan make a go of it here, he showed some real potential and commitment in preseason but sometime it''s just not to be. That line up looks soopoib to me.[/quote]... so would most of our fans, Stig, but it seems certain he wants to go back home in the North. Huddersfied is O.K. for him, just a short journey along the M62, so i can''t see him staying. Cinnamon and Chrissy also will leave. McNally has said that we will have a busy transfer window this Summer so another striker could also arrive. CH seems to like KK, he played him in front of Holt at Sunderland, and he wouldn''t have done that if he thought he couldn''t cut it at this level. busy, and interesting, times ahead in the next 5 months.

Martin is definitely off. Contract up and nowhere near the bench for us this season. I think similarly to Vaughan. I rated him during pre-season but I don''t think Hughton really likes the look of him. Says a little bit that he''s gone on loan to Huddersfield too and not a Nottingham Forest or Cardiff.

I like Cinammon but I have a feeling his number is up too.

Controversial maybe but I can also see Wolfie wearing the number 9 shirt next season...

"I think it likely that KK will remain, unless Kansas hold out for a very high transfer fee."

Like the RVW deal the fee, contracts, etc. are already finalised, just need CH to say ''yes'' or ''no''.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]"I think it likely that KK will remain, unless Kansas hold out for a very high transfer fee."

Like the RVW deal the fee, contracts, etc. are already finalised, just need CH to say ''yes'' or ''no''.[/quote]i don''t believe that clubs set transfer fees in the states. all business is done with the MLS i believe, so they would be the ones to set the fee.

Forget Vaughan.....he does not want to be here and the reason is his other half absolutely hates it here.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Forget Vaughan.....he does not want to be here and the reason is his other half absolutely hates it here.[/quote]Vaughan kicked the goalpoast in anger after missing out on a chance at a game  he had already scored a brace, and definitely  didn''t look like a player who wanted to be elsewhere. I''d personally keep him. Besides Jackson and Martin I''d part with one of Becchio or Holt, as they are too much of the same player. Vaughan''s pace and agility on the other hand could cause lots of surprises at any level. As I don''t expect us to spend big on another striker after Wolfswinkel and Kamara, those two, Holt or Becchio and Vaughan would do for me.

"As I don''t expect us to spend big on another striker after Wolfswinkel and Kamara, those two, Holt or Becchio and Vaughan would do for me."

If I''m reading that correctly do you think we (will) have spent ''big'' on Kamara?

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]"As I don''t expect us to spend big on another striker after Wolfswinkel and Kamara, those two, Holt or Becchio and Vaughan would do for me."

If I''m reading that correctly do you think we (will) have spent ''big'' on Kamara?[/quote]Apologies, if  I wasn''t clear enough: 2m for Kamara is cheap, I tried to refer to the combined value of RvW and Kamara, (around 10m), and the fact that I don''t expect us to spend more in the summer for strikers, as we might want to strengthen other areas.