Sign in to follow this  
crabbycanary

Where do people see Grant holt fitting in now?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="crabbycanary"]Re: Where do people see Grant holt fitting in now?[/quote]

Last season, the back of a Mini. This season, most of a people carrier.

[/quote]

I think you will find Kathy has a Renault.[;)] 

I said it at Xmas and got hammered.If we want to progress, we need better than Holty. Pains me to say it but i think he will be off. To a certain extent, the formation that we have played has killed him.Why he was asked to play a diff role form last yr i will never know

As I said on the RVW thread:

I think Holt will stay and fight for his place and that Kamara will sign on a perm. It''s evolution not revolution, IMO. Other money available should be spent on midfield and defence to produce a fully PL squad which can deal with injuries and suspensions.

How would they think Holty would react if he was on the bench, for the majority of games, with his family miles away, etc etc? I don''t mean when he is on the pitch, but more feeling, perhaps, that he would rather play a lot more (for anybody, as long as it meant regular games) somewhere else, a lot closer to his family?

Holt is still important. We won''t play 1 up front as much next season if CH gets a decent midfielder in to compete with Howson. We''re going to lose Martin and Jackson pretty much without a doubt and Vaughan most likely. There''s question marks over KK still, but even with him coming in we''d have Becchio, KK, RVW IF he joins and Holty. Still just 4 players for 2 slots if we stick to 4-4-2. Strikers get injured plenty and you need competition there and options so I can see Holt staying even if we signed KK and RVW. He could just as easily go as well, but we''ll see what happens. I''d be quite gutted if he left and it''d feel like part of NCFC leaves with him, but as long as the replacement is quality then I''d be happy. He''s the kind of player who can get important goals though and I wouldn''t ship him out without getting a decent return. Wouldn''t surprise me if someone like West Ham wanted him

[quote user="can u sit down please"]I said it at Xmas and got hammered.If we want to progress, we need better than Holty. Pains me to say it but i think he will be off. To a certain extent, the formation that we have played has killed him.Why he was asked to play a diff role form last yr i will never know[/quote]

You also said QPR would win the champions league or stay up or something...

[quote user="Warren Hill"][quote user="can u sit down please"]I said it at Xmas and got hammered.If we want to progress, we need better than Holty. Pains me to say it but i think he will be off. To a certain extent, the formation that we have played has killed him.Why he was asked to play a diff role form last yr i will never know[/quote]

You also said QPR would win the champions league or stay up or something...[/quote]stay up.You also accepted losing to Luton.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Why he was asked to play a diff role form last yr i will never know
[/quote]

Becuase it would be madness to build a team around a 32 year old striker who is coming towards the end of his career.

Sadly, unless we wish to continue to be a team fighting for survival, the future for Holt at CR seems bleak. (This may be true of one or two other players who are really good, honest Championship players in terms of pace and technique. I mention no names, but some who are in the 25 would probably come into this category, and even one or two who have appeared on the bench and in the team.)

If we decide that we wish to be a team in the upper half of the table and challenging for Europe, then we have to increase the quality of the squad.

I think it possible that in the mind of CH Kei is more likely to score and supply others than Holty is at the moment. Whether this is because Holty is not as fit as he was, as some say, or carrying too much weight, or whether his heart is not fully committed for some reason, is not clear. What is clear is that, making all possible allowances that he is having to play in a different way now, he is converting a smaller proportion of chances. The missed penalty and the failure to control the ball in the one-on-one chance during the last game, have cost us.

Ultimately we need a striker or strikers with pace and a good technique. He has never had the former and he seems to be letting himself down on the latter.

He has been a fantastic servant of the club, on and off the pitch, and we owe him a lot, but perhaps now his limitations are becoming more evident.

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Warren Hill"][quote user="can u sit down please"]I said it at Xmas and got hammered.

If we want to progress, we need better than Holty. Pains me to say it but i think he will be off. To a certain extent, the formation that we have played has killed him.

Why he was asked to play a diff role form last yr i will never know
[/quote] You also said QPR would win the champions league or stay up or something...[/quote]

stay up.

You also accepted losing to Luton.
[/quote]

As I''ve asked before, what can you do but accept it? Stamp your feet? Throw hissy fits and call for the managers head?

What wasn''t there to accept about the Luton game? We put out a side that should have been good enough to win but wasn''t. Were we at full strength? No. Would I have played a full strength side against Luton? No. Is it acceptable to lose against a 5th tier team at home in the cup? You don''t have a divine right to beat anyone - just like when we got tonked by MK Dons in the other cup.

[quote user="Skerritt"]How do you call yourself fans. The things Grant Holt has done for us and you want him out. What you''re forgetting Is he is still our top scorer and he is going nowhere.[/quote]

Grant has to do what is best for his family and if he does go in the summer, I''m sure that the fans by and large will show their thanks to him for what he has done for this club over the last four seasons. If he stays he will still be appreciated by many.

Heh I rate Holt over Hooper any day ^^

His work morale for our defending is something that not many strikers have and he is great asset for us both in defensive and offensive still ball situations.

He has contract left and I cant see him leaving next season.

He is currently our main striker or at least on same line with Kamara. Clearly front of Becchio.

I would think first what we do with Jackson, Martin, Vaughan and Becchio before starting wondering where Holt fits. Not to mention that Kamara hasn''t signed yet.

If we keep playing with this current 4-2-3-1 system we need 3 pure strikers and mayby someone who is under 21. I know many of you want at least 5 strikers and are still crying for 1 striker if we sign Wolfie, but in my opinion in 25 men roster there is no room for 5 pure strikers. That just wont fit for modern day football as you need rotation for every place and middlefield is the most consuming spot to play.

Well everything can happen, but I see Wolf, Kamara, and Holt playing most of the games next year with Becchio trying to prove himself over one of them.

But then again I''m not Hughton nor Holt and have no idea what moves in their heads.

[quote user="Son Ova Gunn"]

I think some people need to realise that in order to progress we need to continually buy better players than we already possess. No matter what system you play, when your main striker fails to to score more than 5 goals by late March then the striking department is the obvious place to address. If Holt was putting in monumental performances each week and others where getting the goals as a result of his work then maybe I could see this un-droppable viewpoint but I fear its born out sentalmentaily.

personally I would not sell him as I think that RVW should he sign may struggle with a lone striker role as much as Holt does (by struggle I mean effect the games outcome not just play well) and there will be games next season that the manager will want to play more defensively with the aim of not losing rather than trying to win.

[/quote]

Well said that man!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Certainly not the hall of fame. I think we should kick him out of there pronto and replace him with a player we''ve yet to sign but looks ok on youtube.

[/quote]I detect a hint of sarcasm...he could always carry your dummy!

We may find that Becchio was just a panic swap with Morison.Effectively there will be four slots for strikers in the squad. Jackson is off in the summer, and Vaughan will be humanely destroyed. RVW will take up one slot, and him aside I can''t see Holt, Becchio and Kamara being good enough to fil the other slots, so I expect to see a second striker coming in, possibly Hooper.Kamara has pace, so I can see him filling the third or forth slot. Which would leave a fight between Holt and Becchio for the fourth slot. Whilst I doubt Becchio is in our long term plans, he''s on a 3.5 year contract.

[quote user="Skerritt"]How do you call yourself fans. The things Grant Holt has done for us and you want him out. What you''re forgetting Is he is still our top scorer and he is going nowhere.[/quote]

This board is full of binners. Gives them a bit of excitement after the s**** they have to put up with.

I''ve been supporting Norwich City since 1982.   When I was a kid I had "Roy of the Rovers" on order and every week I would delight in the way Melchester Rovers came back from the brink of disaster to win with a Man of the Match performance from Roy Race.Grant Holt is my generation''s Roy Race.  I know I knock him for being a bit fat, and yes he''s had a crap season so far, but I would deeply miss him if and when he leaves, and there is nothing he could do - short of running out in a Scum top and defecating in the Carrow Road centre circle - that would make me think any the less of him as a centre forward, a captain and a leader of men.And if we do find ourselves dragged into this relegation scrap that so many of our own fans apparently want to see - hell, at least it would make watching football at Carrow Road "entertaining" again - I bet you a penny to a pound that in the eighty-ninth minute a fat, lumbering Cumbrian tyre fitter scores the crucial goal that keeps us safe and everybody says "that Holty, he''s one of us in''t he Naillllll?"

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I''ve been supporting Norwich City since 1982.   When I was a kid I had "Roy of the Rovers" on order and every week I would delight in the way Melchester Rovers came back from the brink of disaster to win with a Man of the Match performance from Roy Race.Grant Holt is my generation''s Roy Race.  I know I knock him for being a bit fat, and yes he''s had a crap season so far, but I would deeply miss him if and when he leaves, and there is nothing he could do - short of running out in a Scum top and defecating in the Carrow Road centre circle - that would make me think any the less of him as a centre forward, a captain and a leader of men.And if we do find ourselves dragged into this relegation scrap that so many of our own fans apparently want to see - hell, at least it would make watching football at Carrow Road "entertaining" again - I bet you a penny to a pound that in the eighty-ninth minute a fat, lumbering Cumbrian tyre fitter scores the crucial goal that keeps us safe and everybody says "that Holty, he''s one of us in''t he Naillllll?"[/quote]Completely agree with you Chopsy.I can see Holty playing alongside RVW next season and I hope he does.And for all his doubters... [8] Again, he''ll prove you wrong again! [8] WFL GH!

We need three or four decent strikers at the club. RvW, Holt, Kamara, and Becchio is a decent selection.

Kamara being particularly useful as he can also play on the wings.

Wave goodbye to the unlucky Vaughan, and thanks for the memories to the out their depth at this level C Martin and Jackson.

Completely OT, but was watching I Clavdivs the other night (superb), & saw the perfect actor for the lead in "The Grant Holt Story":

http://resgerendae.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/brian-blessed-augustus.jpg

trouble is it''s about 40 years too late. Would''ve been great though.

Where do people see Grant holt fitting in now?

Kwik-Fit?