Sign in to follow this  
crabbycanary

Where do people see Grant holt fitting in now?

With the RVW story gaining a  lot of momentum, what role do fans see Holt playing over the next 18 months or so?

If we are paying that much for a player (RVW) then you would logically expect him to start games shortly after joining, and with our system of 1 up front, and Becchio being nurtured, it may be that Holty would be off somewhere (a North West team Championship team perhaps)

Just putting the question out there

It could take rvw a while to settle in.

Would be pretty stupid to get rid of our only proven premier ship goal scorer.

Nothing smaller than a Land Rover unless he loses a bit of weight, if he does he might fit back into his old Peugot 306.

In the team in the second striker role as when he played behind Morison earlier this season or on the bench to come on as an impact sub as he''s doen so well in the past.  Jackson will be the one to leave.

Certainly not the hall of fame. I think we should kick him out of there pronto and replace him with a player we''ve yet to sign but looks ok on youtube.

Holt will be 3rd choice at worst, probably 1st or 2ndYou lot are stupid and actually make me ashamed to be associated with you as a Norwich fan.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Certainly not the hall of fame. I think we should kick him out of there pronto and replace him with a player we''ve yet to sign but looks ok on youtube.

[/quote]Finally an ounce of sense ! Well said Nutty. Can I suggest one of those 16 year old lads than can do 50 keepy uppies and then catch it behind his head ?

Holt would make an ideal impact player off the bench against a couple of tiring centre-backs. A proven goalscorer and a player who would be eager to prove he should be starting.

It would also reduce our offside and foul counts, enabling us to hold onto possession for longer.

I''d personally be delighted for Holt if he got a move to Celtic, but surely the general idea of that move would have been as part exchange for Hooper?

We need 4 good strikers at the club,  its a squad game and we need options.    No reason why Grant cant remain first choice striker as for me its up for grabs - you play and perform the start slot is yours - if you dont you have to get push in training and from teh subs bench.

Dont want grant to leave - and dont see why signing someone mean we should push him out.   If he wants to leave then thats another matter.

I can''t see Holt going to a Championship team, it would be depressing for him. Celtic would be a great choice, he''ll be a big fish in a small pond again, hero worshipped, score shed loads of goals, and his legs will last longer up there.

I think a player of Holt''s age and ability would be mad not to want to play for Celtic where he will win medals, play in the Champions League, and score shed loads of goals again.

I''d genuinely be made up for him and excited if he moved to Celtic, I''d be bemused if he moved to a Championship team.

How do you call yourself fans. The things Grant Holt has done for us and you want him out. What you''re forgetting Is he is still our top scorer and he is going nowhere.

Only one person appears to want him out Skerrit? Not me, I''d be delighted if he stays, but I think he''d be stupid to turn down a move to Celtic if it is on the cards.

Holt turns 32 next month I think.  Last year it helped him IMO when he was sharing the lead striker role with Morison.  This year he''s suffered from playing lone striker  so much.  He looked better when he came on against Sunderland and with not quite so much game time I can see his performances improving.  It would be mad to let him go, that''s why we improved/extended his contract so he can be part of the squad next year.

Why does Holt have to go anywhere? Or even drop to the bench?

Before coming here Hughton often operatted a 4-4-2 system, this year we simply haven''t had the players to play such a system, if we sign someone like RVW and a truly effective box to box midfielder to play alongside Tetty or BJ in the middle of the park then it is quite plausable that this is the main formation we will play next year with Holt/Becchio alongside RVW and KK as an impact sub or offering a chance to move into a more attacking 4-3-3 if we are chasing a match (or trying to put a team to the sword...well it might happen)

"Why does Holt have to go anywhere? Or even drop to the bench?"

He doesn''t, the question for most people is whether he wants to be here. He has previously said that he''d love to play for Celtic, his wife and kids have moved to Carlisle (not far from Glasgow), and he is not getting any younger. He often retweets Celtic stuff, showing a fondness for the club (or possibly even dropping hints).

I''d personally be pleased for him to get a move like that, and I think if he does leave and it is to a club like Celtic then we should all be delighted for him, its one of the best places a player could play, and Holt would get to play in Europe.

I''m saying that I''d be delighted for him because at 32 he''d get to play in the Champions League, that would be so incredible that I almost want it to happen for him.

Sorry Notty Nigel, I wasn''t pointing that at your posts, I agree that for a player such as Holt to even get a chance at playing Champions League football is truly Roy of the Rovers stuff. I also think that he will see out his last season playing for Carlisle as he still gets to games up there as often as possible and has spoken before about his disappointment that he''s never had a chance to run out at Brunton Park (on a personal note I would also love for him to do this as my ''other team'' are Carlisle, being that I originate from that neck of the woods)... Having said all of that though, I would much prefer that, barring a raft of stellar signings, Holt remains in the yellow and green and playing as part of a strike partnership proves to people that last season wasn''t just beginners luck and he was deserving of the calls to play for England (not that that will ever happen no matter how well he performs)...

For me, all that signing RVW means is that Holt will have to try harder to get a place in the starting XI. That can only be a good thing for everybody involved. RVW, Kamara, and Becchio will all have to try harder to oust the first choice striker of the last three years, and Holt will have to fight for his place. This is the position (in my opinion) where competition for places is most benefitial. Think back to the United team of Yorke, Cole, Solskjaer, and Sheringham all battling it out for the starting positions (Sheringham not so much but he was 33 at this point much like Holt next year). Dwight Yorke 18 league goals, Andy Cole 17 league goals, Solskjaer 12 league goals, and Sheringham 2 league goals but only 7 starts.

Now I''m not saying that we''re going to have three strikers getting double figures, and sure there are probably more examples of where too many strikers spoil things but the workload needs to be shared. I''d rather have 4 strikers scoring 10 goals, than 2 strikers scoring 20 as it makes a team less predictable and difficult to stop from game to game as you just don''t know where the goals are coming from.

I think some people need to realise that in order to progress we need to continually buy better players than we already possess. No matter what system you play, when your main striker fails to to score more than 5 goals by late March then the striking department is the obvious place to address. If Holt was putting in monumental performances each week and others where getting the goals as a result of his work then maybe I could see this un-droppable viewpoint but I fear its born out sentalmentaily.

personally I would not sell him as I think that RVW should he sign may struggle with a lone striker role as much as Holt does (by struggle I mean effect the games outcome not just play well) and there will be games next season that the manager will want to play more defensively with the aim of not losing rather than trying to win.

I see him fitting back in at Kwik Fit. Because his spare tyre means he''s not kiwik and not fit and always tyred.

I know...where did I put that coat?

Grant holt has a big wage for another two years he know what he has done. He will be unlikely to move due to his wages so he won''t push that through.

He will be a squad player and used from the bench, simple. For me rwp and another striker will be our first two strikers, becchio and holt on the bench.

Kk has time to impress but if you sign rwp you need a player of good ability around him.

If he is sold then we will have replacements lined up. This signing is our marquee striker tho for next season and probably the season after. But we do need ability around him.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Re: Where do people see Grant holt fitting in now?[/quote]Last season, the back of a Mini. This season, most of a people carrier.