Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Does Grant Holt Still Have The Hunger?

At 32 and with his future financially secure (unless it''s deposited in Bank of Larnica) and with 8.5 million Wolfie likely to have the one striker spot with Kei at No.2 the question is:

Is Grant Holt still hungry for it?

Just like your average superhero, no matter what Holty does, he''ll always have his doubters and always prove them wrong.

He may not have had his greatest season, but i still believe without him, we''d be facing relegation.

As for his hunger, maybe he feels he''s achieved all he can in the game, maybe not, a fully fit Holty coming off the bench while we''re chasing a goal is definately a good thing to have if he does find himself not first choice.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Just like your average superhero, no matter what Holty does, he''ll always have his doubters and always prove them wrong.

He may not have had his greatest season, but i still believe without him, we''d be facing relegation.

As for his hunger, maybe he feels he''s achieved all he can in the game, maybe not, a fully fit Holty coming off the bench while we''re chasing a goal is definately a good thing to have if he does find himself not first choice.[/quote]

I hope he is still with us next year, there are times in a game especially at home when he would gel the crowd and team to get a result when coming off the bench. You can''t say that about any other player in the current squad.

H

He borrowed my copy of the The Hunger, said he was a big fan of Susan Sarandon, and he hasn''t returned it yet so the answer is yes.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]I don''t think any at Martin, Jackson, Vaughan or Holt will be here next season.[/quote]So you think our strikers will be: The Wolf, Becchio, Kei and one other?Interesting idea! And not one that I disagree with tbh..

Got a feeling I''ve forgotten about a striker...

I think he does, and that there are other explanations for his lack of scoring.

Some say, including CH, that he is asked to play in a different situation. He certainly seems to be almost anywhere except in the centre when we are attacking, which may be due to having two hefty CDs on him otherwise.

Some say that he is overweight and/or unfit. There may be some truth in this. He began the first season in the Premiership as fit as he had been for some time, after a long self-imposed fitness progamme. Last summer, especially after the protracted period of sorting out his contract, he seemed off the pace during pre-season, and was outshone by Vaughan. Surely by now, however, he would have made himself fit by playing so many games. Others have pointed out that he sometimes demeans himself by playing to get free-kicks or penalties. If this is true, perhaps it shows a decline in fitness.

I think that there could another explanation. His conversion rate of chances into goals has always been lower than that of other more clinical finishers. He scored buckets of goals in Div 1 and Championship, but Lambert''s all-out attacking meant that we created many more chances then. Now the number of chances is much diminished, partly because of our defensive attitude, and partly because other teams have  by now worked out how to neutralise him. Never underestimate Premiership managers and defnders!