Sign in to follow this  
The Great Drinkell

It looked good but did'nt work - WHY?

I thought the team today was the right one and gave the right signals. When the game started we were alll over the place, didn''t look threatening upfront, not creative in the middle and shakey at the back. Top mark to the players for keeping battling but why didn''t it work?

With West Brom opting for 4-4-2 I think our 4-3-3 left us at the mercy of a more than decent opposition midfield.  If I had been Worthy I would have changed our formation part way through the first half...and even Neil Adams said he would have too...but, hey, we''re not the manager and obviously Worthy thought that his personnel and formation would suit a ''you score 2 and we''ll score one more'' mentality - and he was proved right...JUST!

Can anyone tell me how our manager and coaching staff can possibly hope to change things, when they all appear to watch the match at ground level. 

Spot on Susie b - we were out fought and out numbered in midfield and none of the blame goes to the 3 players there.

Any moron who has seen WBA lately realised that they have 2 good ''containers'' centrally and 2 in from wide men - so we have three men against their 2 in the centre and then let gera and greening go wherever they like unchallenged - hardly the sort of cover our shaky central defence needs is it?  So why did our coaching team miss it?  I know they should have some confidence in their own tactics but we have a weak defence and still need to create chances - 4-3-3 was never going to do that yesterday. 

My reaction to 4-3-3 (or even 4-4-2 with hux on the left was dismay - texted a couple of  friends accordingly predicting a poor poor game for us).  Leon simply is not up to it - he competes all day and gives his all but is as effective as I would be.

OTBC

Some thing I really noticed about yesterdays formation was our lack of width in midfield. We never seem to have this problem before when McKenzie and Huckerby play upfront with a target man so why it was different yesterday is strange. I think we missed Jonson. I know he does have his critics, but he''s strong, holds the ball up, and he gets stuck in.

Maybe it was right to leave him on the bench from the start because he has seemed a little off colour over the last 3 games, but I was really suprised to see McVeigh brought on yet again didn''t effect the game in any way. I think Jonson coming on in the second half would have added strength to the team when we needed it, but it''s all in the past and we won so sorry if I''ve moaned a bit.