Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

It's OK to dislike Wigan now

Good amusing but accurate article. Must say my opinion of Martinez changed after his remarks made at the Carra.

Not called for, unprofessional and betraying a weak character

I thought it was alright to dislike them anyway?

They are one of the least fashionable teams in the football league let alone the premiership.

Whelan has always been a moany Mertal - nothing new there.

They have very few fans, most of which have joined them since reaching premiership status owing to Rugby being more popular. That and all the fans of the big teams see it as one of the easiest ways in which to a) get a ticket for their team, b) get an away win.

Their stadium is less of a fortress and more of a bouncy castle for all visitors to enjoy.

Seriously, I have wanted them to go down for so many years. They are as big a joke in terms of money ruining football as the likes of Man City, Chelsea and QPR. Without Whelan they''d still be averaging gates of less than 10k.

Even in their first couple of premiership seasons their average gate was less than 15k I believe.

A silly little club who do not stand up for ''everyone can have a go'' in fact they are the negation of that ie here''s some money ... and her''s some more.

Hopefully they will continue that long line of northern clubs heading out of the PL ... Bolton, Blackburn, Burnley Blackpool

A soul less stadium occupied by thousands of plastics who will disappear quicker than a tray of pies in front of Alan Brazil once the hit the Championship.

They will not be missed.

"the Premier League would be better off without Wigan?"Any team playing in the Premiership should not be playing in front of a half empty stadium, that''s why I''d like to see ''em go down.

Hi Chicken

You''d think so wouldn''t you. But the level of love for Wigan (and more specifically Martinez) that I''ve witnessed is sickening. Guarantee that if Wigan get relegated Martinez will somehow be managing in the Prem again next season.

[quote user="Daniel Brigham"]Hi Chicken

You''d think so wouldn''t you. But the level of love for Wigan (and more specifically Martinez) that I''ve witnessed is sickening. Guarantee that if Wigan get relegated Martinez will somehow be managing in the Prem again next season.[/quote]

Somehow i think your right, i don''t understand it, they don''t generally play good football even though they try and year after year only just manage to stay up. One of my hated teams along with

spurs

qpr

west ham

I have never liked Wigan as a club. They are one of the biggest examples of what is wrong with the game. They are being kept alive purely by Sky and that gobshite Whelan. They have such poor attendances it''s pretty embarrasing. I wouldn''t mind if they had 15k fans every week and filled their stadium but they don''t. In fact their higest ever attendance came againt Man U ont he day Man U won the title, who else thinks their attendence was increased by said Manure fans?

I hope they go down along with QPR and Southampton. I think it would be funny if Adkins turns Reading around at Southampton''s expense.

Davo

I''ve enjoyed my last two trips to Wigan.   Two 1-1 draws, but the atmosphere was good in so far there were a lot of Norwich fans there.  When we played them afew years ago, we took over the whole of one side of the stadium, making it feel more like a home game.   Even though we only get one end now, its still a good occasion - but only if enough fans go.   Also I don''t begrudge them their position in the league.   They are in the league on merit, as are we and I would rather have them in the league than some of the so called big clubs.    The buzz for Arsenal tickets is all very well, but I shall enjoy the trip to Wigan more and with the hope that we can pull off a victory to push on this season.   Imo the Wigan match is the more important match anyway, with not only us picking up points, but ensuring Wigan don''t progress from where they are too.

"They are in the league on merit"

If there is anything meritous about having a big wallet that is. They symbolise much that is wrong with football and the quicker they go back to where they belong the better football will be.

Though I''m sure if Cambridge Utd were to be taken over by some software billionaire as his plaything and reach the PL we would also be told they should be there, as they are there ''on merit''.

[quote user="City1st"]

"They are in the league on merit"

If there is anything meritous about having a big wallet that is. They symbolise much that is wrong with football and the quicker they go back to where they belong the better football will be.  Though I''m sure if Cambridge Utd were to be taken over by some software billionaire as his plaything and reach the PL we would also be told they should be there, as they are there ''on merit''.     

[/quote]

All clubs have money, some more than others.   Such is the way with the world.   The quality of the football should be what is the criteria for being in this league.   If you''re good enough, you stay in the league, therefore you are  there on merit.   If a club has sold out completely then they will not do well anyway - QPR/Blackburn/Ippo, etc etc.Whelan, for all his money, still displays admirable traits, loyalty for one.    If Wigan are what is wrong with football,  then my name''s  RipVanWinkle.

"If a club has sold out completely then they will not do well anyway "

Man City, Cardiff ?

ippo ? who the fark calls the binners ippo ?

As to being called something you may well be on the right track with that Winkle stuff - though a more grown up word might be used instead

I am in a strange position. I love Wigan, and i hate Wigan. as a City fan i dislike their football team and would be only too glad to see them relegated. i have been to their ground a few times and never seen them play. I am a Wigan Warriors Rugby League fan from long before the football team were in the Football league, when the rugby team  played at Central Park. i was glad when Whelan sold the Warriors to Ian Lenaghan as his commitment was only half hearted at best. i think this is the season that will see them fail in their annual Great Escape. OTBC

[quote user="City1st"]

"If a club has sold out completely then they will not do well anyway "

ippo ? who the fark calls the binners ippo ?

[/quote]

I''ll call your friends down the road what I like, City 1st.   And come to that, who the fark spells fark like that? 

perhaps you could point out where I said you couldn''t call the paupers what you like

I merely asked who does call them that (not the same)

and it turns out you do

well well

[quote user="City1st"]

perhaps you could point out where I said you couldn''t call the paupers what you like

I merely asked who does call them that (not the same)

and it turns out you do

well well

[/quote]

The words "clutching" and "straws" come to mind...............