Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Gary Hooper

Glanced at the Celtic messageboard for the first time since January. How things change many of the comments are now about they should have taken the cash in January and are now looking at getting much less than £5m. Our signing of Wolfswinkle also seem to have shocked them that we have serious aspirations and cash to back them up, not so many little old Norwich comments now. I still suspect we may go for him, at a cut price level as back up and competition. The wolfswinkle signing shows the wisdom of not getting carried away in the January bunfight and paying stupid prices

Terrible decision by Celtic not to sell him to us in January.

Everyone apart from themselves, who were getting carried away with the CL games, could see this scenario, but they buried their heads in the sand, and now.............................

Offer them £1 million in the summer, £2 million if they''re lucky. After all he really enjoyed those 2 games against Juventus didn''t he?! How many touches of the ball did he get?! 3? Maybe 4?

Oh, and where''s IrishCelt whilst we''re at it???

I say we offer them 500k... then a few days later 600k... then a few days later 700k...

just take the p1ss.

I wouldn''t cry if at the end of the transfer window we have kept holt and not had to over pay for hooper.

now that we have proved we are ambitious, a new bid for Hooper could be seen as a backward step. surely we should be looking for better material than he would seem to be. and a question:- how much would RvW have cost if he was English? a hell of a lot more than we payed, that''s for sure.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]I can only see us signing Hooper if we let one of Holt, Becchio or Kamara go in the summer.[/quote]

Kamara is only on loan and Becchio signed a three and a half year deal only two months ago PJF.

Be quite surprised if Becchio went in summer after only just joining. Unless we got the money we''d invested on him back. Kamara is only a loan as mentioned and still has time to show his worth (which he''s admittedly already done partially in the couple of games he''s had). Wouldn''t be shocked to see him join permanently as we''ve already got an option on him it seems and for a decent price too. Wouldn''t really effect our budget too much (it at all really). The main one is whether Holt stays or goes I guess. We know C.Martin is a goner and Simeon has his suitors according to CH. So we''d have Holt, RvW, KK and Becchio. Can still see another 1 there. A pacier option perhaps or go back for Hoops to play the hustle and bustle role off the other striker. Unless RvW is the clinical forward at the tip of the tree off Holt/KK/Becchio. Then I''d imagine it''s all about an attacking mid to supply them and these so-called wide players who could be wing-back or wingers. Pilks certainly needs proper competition and another LB is needed even if Garrido signs permanently. Certainly exciting times for us! (haven''t they usually been in the last few years?:)) Just hope we have a strong finish and avoid any relegation thoughts so we can concentrate on enjoying our football and attract more top players!

I think its more than likely e''ll be back in for him in the summer and why not he''d improve our squad at the very least!

Chris Martin and Jackson will be probably be going in the summer so replacing them with Hooper would be good!

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]I can only see us signing Hooper if we let one of Holt, Becchio or Kamara go in the summer.[/quote]

Kamara is only on loan and Becchio signed a three and a half year deal only two months ago PJF.

[/quote]
Wow 3 1/2 years? Guess were pretty serious about him being a member of our squad for the long term.
So, realistically, it''ll be Kamara who''s most likely not to be signed. Unless we sell Holt, which doesn''t seem as likely. Or we won''t sign Hooper which is probably as realistic as not signing Kamara IMO. Unless Kamara is moved out to the wing, but Hughton does seem to rate him when he plays a more central role...
So many possibilities...

Or we could sign kamara, Hooper and keep becchio and Holt, not saying we will just we could. Kamara can play on the wing!

I would be uncertain about spending too much on a striker who has only been truly tested in the SPL.

Celtic made a huge mistake not selling him for good money in January - they were always going to be outclassed and embarrassed by Juventus and now all they have to focus on in winning a title that Coventry City would win by an equal margin.

I think its a bit unfair saying Hooper isn''t good enough for us, i feel he could do a grand job for us.From what little i know of McNally, i''m pretty certain he wont be going back in for Hooper due to Celtic stupidly turning down our january offer. They had there chance and blew it....big time

I suggest Gary Hooper''s future will probably be sorted before Celtic''s final league game of the season.

The reason I say this is because as of 27th July Gary Hooper will be able to buy out the remainder of his contract (having been with Celtic for 3 years) and I believe that he has to inform Celtic of his intention to leave before the final league game of the season (see Webster ruling 2006).

I don''t profess to know the legality of it all, but it is certainly something to bear in mind. After all Hooper could technically be available for as little as a million or two...

I believe there will be a desperate club willing to match Celtic''s valuation of this player and will probably still part with close to the 10 million asking price...more likely a newly promoted Premiership club...thank God it won''t be us!

Makes me laugh how nearly all those who wanted Hooper and said he would make the difference for us are now slating him lol.

He would still be a great option for us and take some pressure off of RVW.

I really hope we go back in for him in summer window and if we do get him on the cheap happy days.

He will end up in EPL and score goals for the team who eventually sign him.

I think some of the posters on here are just annoyed because Celtic dared to want to retain the services of there own player and dared to want top dollar for him.

I have a feeling that a deal for Hooper was agreed in January for a summer transfer. I just hope if he does sign in the summer that we did not pay anything like the figures being quoted.

I really can''t see the love for Hooper, it''s crazy.

So he''s scored 20 odd goals in the SPL, and the championship.

I think he''d struggle to get 6/7 goals a season here, maybe a slight improvement on Jackson

Blimey, what a contrast this thread is with the stuff that was being bandied about on 31st January (a certain children''s book character springs to mind as one of the main culprits). The refusal to match the over the top valuation of Celtic, nor to be backed into a corner by last minute transfer window desperation, all this was characterised by irate posters as lack of ambition. What is was, of course, was clear headed thinking and now we are seeing the benefits of this. Lesson: have a little faith chaps.

Our scouts noted him, Hughton targetted him and McNally sent a private plane to transport him from Scotland just for his signature. Many of us were desperate for another striker during what was becoming a very crisis ridden part of the season. I was very excited by the prospect of him in the yellow, but not so much now though because of other happenings.  

Gary Hooper is no worse a player now than he was then.

If the price is right and Hughton sees a need, bearing in mind the outcome of the Wolfswinkel saga, then I am all for the signing.

As somebody pointed out above, a newly promoted club will probably be willing to pay OTT for the player though.  

Hooper is better than the the strikers we had at our disposal in January. He would have brought goals. But when the figures went up I was def out of that thinking.

I have always said my preference is to firstly look at Europe, premiership young guns and prem squad players from the big guns (Scott Sinclair)

After signing rvw are levels have risen. I thought Lamberts first season was great as he brought our team up to a similar standard throughout the first team squad. The jan window he bought some young genuine starlets for the premier league. Hughton has come in and raised each position he bought and now rvw is another level maybe two above what we already have. So we have a number of players still from that championship team that are a few levels down. Hooper would come in and raise the level but not by enough for me. We will look at an European striker for me, with kk like attributes. Kk will sign if holty moves on.

In Jan Hooper offered something different from what we had.   However we now have RcW Hot and Becchio and hopefully Kamara - I was never keen on Hooper but compared to Jackson & Morison and unknown becchio kamara he offered something else and was worth a risk.

Now he just does not seeem good value or to add anything to our attacking options.   For a similar price we can get better quality and better value elsewhere but would rather we focused on getting Kei in and strengthening the midfield 

Kk has a long way to prove himself for a contract he may have made an impression short term and with the dressing room. I love his desire and joy at being a premier league player and it is what we want to hear from players.

But kk does have a few months to prove himself, we are in the market for some very good players, I do wonder if again we will be looking at a better calibre of player.

Kk could well be here next season but he would be 3rd of 4th choice.