Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Tettey or Howson?

I''d be tempted to put fit again Tettey straight back into the starting eleven. Although I think his game went off the boil just before the injury, I still think he has (currently) a bit more about him than Howson.

I think the Fox debate will go on & on, and admittedly his delivery is superior to that of Tetteys, but as a package I prefer Tettey to Fox, but I am far from Fox''s biggest fan!

Howson has not impressed much this season but performed well against Sunderland and ought to start, but replaced if he performs as previous. Tettey better on defensive side and Howson as a creative midfielder.

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]TGD - really, get rid of BJ, I think he has been consistently good all season.[/quote]

I agree with TGD. Tettey and Fox instead of Johnson and Howson.

Hughton doesn''t change a winning side and the game against Sunderland was everything but a win.

Also, nowadays managers usually like to ease a recovering player in by starting him on the bench. This seems routine for a player who has missed a series of games, as with Tettey. 

I therefore think that it will be exactly the same again, with Holt on after about 60 minutes if we are chasing the game and Tettey on if we are defending something. Either way, Howson is replaced, unless he is having a blinder of course.

Whittaker might be an enforced starter, but nobody can feel worried about that.

CU - BJ has had some excellent games but on to many occasions has won the ball only to lose it by a wayward pass. Tettey has the same fault but positional is better Imo. They both need a good passer next to them so they can win the ball and give an easy pass. BJ would certainly benefit from this.

Totally correct TGD. What''s the point in winning the ball if you''re just going to give it away again?

Bradley Johnson and David Fox would be the partnership i''d want but it will never happen, seemingly.

I will admit that Tetteys passing was getting woeful and frustrating poor. BJ also hasn''t got the best distribution, but unlike last season I believe he has been told to keep it simple, which I think he has.

I don''t want this to deteriorate into a Fox debate, but he really had a chance to shine (in a poor display) against Luton, but in my opinion failed to do so. I also appreciate he is a holding player, but he has to have more quality than a delivery in this league. He doesn''t track back, he doesn''t run with the ball, he very rarely tackles and I don''t remember him scoring in the three leagues he''s played in. He''s a good player, but in my opinion, not a premiership player.

Howson. Tettey on the bench. Plus it''s always nice to have that little something from the bench, eh?

Howson played well against Sunderland.

Tettey will see us dominate midfield.

However games are running out and Fox deserves a chance. He is a talented footballer that has not received any opportunity (apart from cup games with 2nd stringers) to display what he can to do.

Unlikely - but BJ & Fox for me.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]The Luton game was a chance for fringe players such as Fox to stake a claim, unfortunately for him and others that day they failed miserably.......[/quote]Agree but when a player has been out for a period of time, they lack match fitness and need a run of 3/4 games to settle. Unfortunately we havent been able to do that, but id keep Howson in.The last couple of games, Howson has done well so why take him out for a player that hasnt played in ages? Howson doesnt warrant being dropped at the minute.For me, im still not decided on Tettey. He had a good 6/7 games at the start of his run but since then has flattered to deceive. Personally going forward next year, i think we need better than the current crop of cm''s at our disposal.

I''d prefer Tettey to Howson cause hes stronger but in farness to Howson whilst hes looked a weak link for this season in this little run of games hes been getting hes been slowly getting better so I''d be inclined to start him and then have Tettey on the bench?

You are correct cusdp we do need better but at the moment we can only play with what we have.

Michael Owen was right, when you look back on a player the good things are remembered and the not so good forgotten.

Davis Fox seems to be remembered for some good passing games, against lower opposition (Luton excepted), but has not produced enough in the last two seasons to merit a regular start.

Canaries Utd "He doesn''t track back, he doesn''t run with the ball, he very rarely tackles and I don''t remember him scoring in the three leagues he''s played in. He''s a good player............. ",

Sorry David Fox is out of the equation.

The same David Fox that was voted our 3rd best player by our own fans last year isn''t a Premier League player? I realise his game has it''s limitations but that is a ridiculous claim, in the right system he has plenty to offer.

Fox has suffered from the same thing that Howson and Elliott Bennett have suffered from this season, and that is a lack of game time due to there not being a reserve league. It''s unrealistic to expect a player who hasn''t played a competitive game in 6 months to come in out of the cold and perform at 100% of his ability.

It''s no coincidence that Howson has got better and better with each game since Tettey''s injury. I was hugely impressed by him last season and thought he''d be a massive player this year, he''s started to show glimpses of that in the last couple of games, particularly his impressive performance against Sunderland. I''d definitely keep him in the starting line up for Wigan.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]The Luton game was a chance for fringe players such as Fox to stake a claim, unfortunately for him and others that day they failed miserably.......[/quote]

One of those "others" was Johnny Howson,  who could not even claim lack of match fitness.   Yet he continues to get a "chance" not allowed to others despite repeated subsequent poor performances.

Tetteys passing is not as bad as people think,  more successful than both BJ & Howson and deserves to come straight back into the tem if fit.   Partnering BJ. 

Howson for me, He''s getting better and better with match practice. But if Hughton wants to shut up shop from the off it''ll be Tettey.

Mr Brownstone - "Fox has suffered from the same thing that Howson and Elliott Bennett have suffered from this season, and that is a lack of game time due to there not being a reserve league."

Perhaps a meaningful Reserve League and the end of loans would solve many of the wrongs in football at the moment.

For me Tettey has been our best middlefield player for the season. Our middlefield have had problems when he has been gone.

He just brings something for both ends and not just for another as BJ and Howson.

For me he is certain starter, if he feels ready for the game and the real question would be Howson or BJ. BJ has proven to be good pairing for Tettey and Howson improved form shouldnt affect here.

What comes to Fox, games ike ths isn''t time for testing, if he could improve from Luton game. His style just doesnt seem to fit for Hughton''s game as we like to keep our distances short and we have very few players that likes to run behind the opponents line in building up game to receive his long passing.

Also I personaly think Fox - BJ would be worst pairing for our middlefield. I could be wrong, but they are both quite slow and if we dont sit deep in countering situations we would be most likely in trouble.

I rate the Fox and feel sorry for the way things have turned out for him this season.

However, anybody who thinks that the Hoots will use him in a fairly crucial away game against Wigan at this stage of the season hasn''t quite worked out the way the pragmatic Mr. Hughton goes about his business.

Just posted the below on the wigan starting line up thread.  

But I am with Lavanche - Tettey is way ahead of all three central midfield options including fox.  walks straight back into the team once fit.

PL facts               P         Win %          L%         pts/start              GD/start         

Howson              25         20%            52%          0.88                  -1 goal

Fox                     23         30%            30%            1.3                 -0.1 goal