Sign in to follow this  
Block Y Seat 176

di Stefano

[quote user="Mr Angry"]Had to Google the players who have represented 3 countries. I have come across another player, still playing club football, who has played for 3 different countries, while not actually changing nationalities like the other 2 players did. Any ideas?[/quote]

Is it Stankovich, Yugoslavia, serbia & Montenegro and now Serbia?

And that was without recourse to wiki, I remember him from the 2010 world cup.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Dr Crafty Canary"]di Stefano was brilliant for Real Madrid, mind you.[/quote]

OK, a quiz question for a slow Thursday. The prize is...there isn''t a prize. But without recourse to Wiki:

Alfredo di Stefano played international football for three countries. Which three?

Which other genius player active in Spain at the same time as di Stefano also played for three countries, and which ones?

[/quote]

Di Stefano played for Argentina, Colombia and Spain. Why Colombia?! Some rich Colombian decided to start up a super league with - for the time - mega salaries. It didn''t last long, but while there di Stefano also played for the national team. He then decamped to Real Madrid, and immortality.

The other - less well-known in Britain - genius player was Laszlo Kubala, who was born in Hungary but played - in this order - for Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Spain. Supposedly he left Hungary because he was on the verge of being called up for military service, and later went back when the Czech authorities also threatened him with having to don a uniform! He quite Hungary when the country went communist and ended up in Spain.

As admitted already, I googled this-apparently do Stefano''s appearances for Colombia have not been ratified by FIFA?

That Kubala had a pretty phenomenal record for Barca. Strange how he isn''t so well known.

[quote user="Herman "]That Kubala had a pretty phenomenal record for Barca. Strange how he isn''t so well known.[/quote]

Herman, that is partly due to the insularity of the British press. Kubala is pretty well-known on the continent. But also he didn''t have much of an international career. If he had stayed in Hungary he might well have been part of that great team that beat England 6-3 at Wembley* and should have won the 1954 World Cup. And he played for Barcelona at a time when they were overshadowed by Real Madrid and di Stefano. Real won the first five European cups and when Barcelona finally beat them they then lost to Benfica in the fnal.

*That was NOT England''s first home defeat to a foreign country. Which country beat the Magyars to that honour?

[quote user="Herman "]That Kubala had a pretty phenomenal record for Barca. Strange how he isn''t so well known.[/quote]

Herman, that is partly due to the insularity of the British press. Kubala is pretty well-known on the continent. But also he didn''t have much of an international career. If he had stayed in Hungary he might well have been part of that great team that beat England 6-3 at Wembley* and should have won the 1954 World Cup. And he played for Barcelona at a time when they were overshadowed by Real Madrid and di Stefano. Real won the first five European cups and when Barcelona finally beat them they then lost to Benfica in the fnal.

*That was NOT England''s first home defeat to a foreign country. Which country beat the Magyars to that honour?

[/quote]

Scotland?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

Scotland?

[/quote]

No! As one of the home nations Scotand don''t count as foreign.

[/quote]

USA, USA?

[quote user="Rivvo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote] USA, USA?[/quote]

I don''t think English football could have lived with the shame. We would have taken up croquet instead!

So it would have been a game pre-dating the build of wembley (which I think is the reason Hungarys is so famous - the first non Home Nation to win there - which means pre 1924?) 

European then?   The Italians?

Completely OT but I didn''t want to start a new thread on it, what''s happened to Wiz, I''ve obviously missed something in the last couple of weeks?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

So it would have been a game pre-dating the build of wembley (which I think is the reason Hungarys is so famous - the first non Home Nation to win there - which means pre 1924?) 

European then?   The Italians?

[/quote]

Zip, this was after Wembley was built.

[quote user="Rivvo"]Completely OT but I didn''t want to start a new thread on it, what''s happened to Wiz, I''ve obviously missed something in the last couple of weeks?[/quote]

He was counted out in the final ( ? ) round.

So it was - but not at wembley though.

Who beat us at home first in a competetive game (non Home Nation Rule appleis again) 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="Rivvo"]Completely OT but I didn''t want to start a new thread on it, what''s happened to Wiz, I''ve obviously missed something in the last couple of weeks?[/quote]

He was counted out in the final ( ? ) round.

[/quote]

I''m not trying to stir anything up I have genuinely missed it! and ROI was my guess for Wembley, where did they beat us then?

[quote user="Rivvo"]Republic of Ireland?[/quote]

A 2-0 defeat at Goodison Park in 1949. England''s first home loss to a foreign country. Shame there is no prize, Rivvo!

[quote user="Rivvo"]Lucky guess! which was the first at Wembley, was that Hungary?[/quote]

Hungary was the first at Wembley and also the first anywhere in England by an overseas side, ie from mainland Europe - the RoI being foreign (not part of the United Kingdom) but arguably not overseas since it is part of the British isles.