Sign in to follow this  
10Jackson

Starting Line Up vs Wigan

As we are away from home I am sure that it will be a safe selection. I like the team above but would make one change. If Tetty is not fit I would try Fox to supply the front four with attacking options. I would try that anyway but what do I know?

Camp

Whittaker Turner Bassong Garrido

Fox/Tetty( Fitness issue) Johnson

Kamara Hoolahan Snodgrass

Holt

Why tinker after that performance? I think we would have won the game comfortably if Bunn hadn''t been sent off. Barring injuries (think Martin is the only doubt?) I would start the same 11, Whittaker a perfect replacement if Martin doesn''t make it and Camp obviously in for Bunn.

If Tettey is fit I would play him instead of Howson. Would like to see Whittaker play who impressed when he came on at Sunderland.

Incredible really that only Wes is likely to be in the stating line up tomorrow and started at Wigan last season! I''m assuming Russ and Holty will be subs tomorrow...

Yeah I do like Whittaker playing! Whenever I have seen him he has impressed me! He always looks so assured and willing to attack! Also that goal he scored against Swansea was awesome! Proves what a good player he is!

I think it''ll be the same as vs Sunderland but obv with Camp and possibly Whittaker for Martin and Tettey for Howson depending on fitness.

Did I see a post that Elliott Bennett was poor vs Sunderland? If so that poster saw another game to me as I thought he was a contender for MOTM!

Yeah that was me, maybe poor was harsh, but he does frustrate me when he does all the hard work until it comes to the final ball or having a shot and he''ll suddenly look like a non league player.

I imagine that much will depend on how fit Tettey is, although it has to be said that his performances before the injury were diminished from what he did when he first burst on to the scene last autumn.

If he is reckoned to be match fit, and if he seems renewed in mind from his "rest", then I would expect him to play. I do not think that he offers much more than than Howson or Fox, at least going forward, where his runs seem to produce little, but CH seems cautious, especially away from home. Other things being equal I expect Tettey to start, in the hope that we can keep Wigan out and somehow snatch a goal. If he tires, then I think that Howson could well come on as sub.

Johnson and Tettey are not the most creative central midfield in the Premiership, by a long way, but they are resolute and committed in defence. If the remaining games were not so important I could see Howson continuing his run, as he needs games on the pitch as he tries to recapture what he was last season. RvW may have been misquoted, as CH claims, but he is surely right that the one area of the team above all where we need more skill is in the central midfield.

I don''t see Fox playing - he lacks the pace and shot of Howson, who I think last year was the quickest player at the club over 10-15 yards, and he lacks the tackling of Tettey. He is arguably better than the others in long passing, but lacks Howson''s control and short passing.

If we are to gain anything at Wigan, I think that it weill need some creative thinking on the part of CH and his team, both in initial selection and in substitutions.

Same as Sunderland for me, we were actually playing really well until disaster struck, if we start off and play like that again today we will be ok.