Sign in to follow this  
10Jackson

Starting Line Up vs Wigan

A few changes I''m stuck between Tettey and Howson but ill probably but Tettey in there because he can break play up very well! We will also probably go 4-4-1-1 away from home!

Camp

Whittaker Turner Bassong Garrido

E.Bennett Tettey Johnson Snodgrass

Hoolahan

Kamara/Holt

Camp

Martin Bassong Turner Garrido

Tettey Fox

Bennett Hoolahan Snodgrass

Kamara

No, I don''t think hughton will ever pick him but I''m just saying who I think should be in the team. And Fox should be in the team.

Fox isn''t good enough.

I''d go for the same setup and as Sunderland, but if Tettey is definitely 100%, he''d come in for Howson and assuming Martin doesn''t make it, Whittaker would come in at right back.

I thought Hoolahan behind Kamara looked promising for the first half an hour so I''d keep with that, and even though Bennett had a poor game against Sunderland, I''d give him another chance on the right with Snodgrass in his less effective position on the left. The rest of the team is as usual.

He''s being judged on the Luton game. Nobody seems to remember what he did for us in the last 2 seasons.

Fox is good enough, but he has hardly played recently, so I wouldn''t put him in for such an important game.

I think we should go with the same team that started at Sunderland (witb Camp for Bunn of course) and if Martin isn''t fully fit, start Whittaker.

Tettey to come off the bench at some point I reckon

True, I don''t remember Howson playing well that day. How many chances has he been given? Unfortunately I also agree with your point that he won''t play for us again.

I disagree, he''s a decent passer of the ball, not great by any means. He''s also extremely lightweight, not very quick and ineffective defensively. Just my opinion mind, you''re more than entitled to yours.

The same XI that started for Sunderland, they showed something out there and deserve to play again.

No, he''s an excellent passer. And yes, he is lightweight but that''s why he needs to be played with Johnson or Tettey. But although these are just our opinions, they don''t matter because Hughton is the one who picks the team.

Fox is definitely good enough !

We were a steady 8th last season until we was replaced in the team ! For no reason

His indirect set pieces are as good if not better than Snodgrass''.

Teetey, BJ & Howson have played all the matches because they have a different game to Fox (that Hughton prefers). They are not better than Fox.

Camp

Whittaker   Bassong  Turner  Garrido

Tettey Howson

Bennett    Hoolahan  Snodgrass

Holt 

Fox is a good passer of the ball, as he has demonstrated over recent seasons in League 1, Championship & the early Premiership days. It is these performances that fans fondly remember and form the basis of the argument to play him. But the team is kicking on to a higher level. Even Fox''s fans admit he needs another player to carry him in the defensive duties required in midfield and this is a luxary that the team cannot afford at Premiership level. He is not up to the pace or strong enough in the tackle  - if we play him we might get half a dozen good passes but he will cost us a goal or two. Not really a good excahnge.

Expect him to move onto a high end Championship team in the next window, at which level he will perform.

Fox has played 7 minutes of Premier League football this season, or something like that, hasn''t he? Can''t see that changing any time soon. Hughton will probably stick with the side that drew with Sunderland, with the exception of Tettey coming in for Howson.Though I wonder if he would try playing Whittaker at left midfield to allow Snodgrass to play right wing. Not that Benno has done anything wrong mind.

We still have many players in our squad who are not quite up to the standard we now require.

Yes, they all have good parts to their game but they also have deficiencies and it is those deficiencies that must be improved.

Hughton has improved on all positions that he has replaced. If we had persisted with players that have been loaned out or with players such as Fox, Jackson, Ryan Bennett, Tierney and one or two more do you really think we would be where we are now?

The team he has been selecting has been selected ........ because it is the best that we have available.

The good old Norfolk saying ''If it ain''t broke, don''t mend it'' applies.

Genuinely out of interest, not to attempt to mock, why do people want to play 442? Every time we''ve played it this season we''ve been extremely poor in my opinion

I do think kk and Becchio would be a great striker force but I can''t see that being in the starting line up.

It will be the same team, if Martin is ok otherwise Whittaker moves back in. I would like to see tettey to come in soon to our midfield and eb''s energy is great but his threat in the final third is awful. I can see him starting and a purposeful hoolahan after not playing for the republic can show his skills.

Yes genuine quality will come in in the summer, but our current weaker (players who have been here prior to hughtons arrival) have a few games to say they can be involved in our rise in this league. I have said it over again and not so sure many have shown it, it is time to prove it.

Camp

Martin, turner, bassong, garrido

Eb, Howson, Johnson, snoddy

Hoolahan, kk

Of course kk could play out right and becchio or holt upfront, but until he is fully fit he will be upfront I would think. Tettey I would love to play as with Whittaker, but think we may be one game to early for tettey.

Camp

Martin (if fit) turner bassong Garrido

Tettey   Johnson

Bennett    Hoolahan   Snodgrass

Kamara

If all fit I would not change the defence - consistency and understanding key but have complete confidence in Whittaker if needed

In the middle, Johnson will play - Tettey in again if fit.    If he is not I expect Howson to start.  However he HAS had more bad games for us this season than Fox who can play atthis level.   Howson has been given upteen chances - Fox none,  neither has actually had a good game for us this season yet one get repeated goes.  hey ho

We do need pilks fit but the 3 pick themselves.

And Kamara should why he deserved to start against sunderland,  and holt then showed why he was on the bench when he came on.  Start the same way tomorrow.

COYY.

2 points

Is Fox too lightweight in the same way that Xavi, Iniesta and Messi are? How much of a heavyweight do you need to be in possession?

Also, if he really have not future here, why did he sign a new contract at the start of the season. He might not fit in with the way we set up at the moment, but that doesn''t mean that we won''t play differently next year.

For me this season was all about staying up. As reflected on here, it has not been pretty at times but we are nearly there. Next season is about pushing on and I can''t wait. Exciting times.

Fox can''t really be mentioned in the same sentence as Xavi, Iniesta and Messi though can he.

Actually, watch those players and see how easily they''re shrugged off the ball. Doesn''t happen.

Of course Fox cant be compared to xavi et al,  but the suggestion on this thread is that Fox cant be compared to howson let alone BJ or Tettey.

Some facts,  based on starts only for NCFC in the prem leasgue,  both have enough to make is a good comparison.

PL facts               P         Win %          L%         pts/start              GD/start         

Howson              25         20%            52%          0.88                  -1 goal

Fox                     23         30%            30%            1.3                 -0.1 goal 

Over the 68 prem games city have an average of 1.19 points per game and conceed on everage 0.5 goal per game.    With howson starting we earn fewer points per game and conceed goals faster.    With Fox we earn nearly 50% more points per game.

When Hoswon and Fox have played together the results are even worse (it has been tried 6 times incl cup games) earning just 0.7 points per game,  losing  67% of games and winning just 17%.   The worst possible combination.

The message is clear,  we must never start with howson & fox and on most metrics fox outperforms howson.   Is he really not up to prem league???

To complete the picture the subs analysis is that neither have affected the outcome of the 13 (7 howson, 6 fox) games where they have been introduced (result the same as when they were introduced) suggestion they are both  subs without impact but neither usually gets more than 15 mins to do so so does not really tell us much more.

Re: Fox - we played our best stuff with him in the side last year. Hughtons tactics sadly mean Fox''s playing style doesn''t quite fit, same with Howson, which means they can''t play to their strengths.

Anyhow, back on topic;

Camp

Whitts Turner Seb Garrido

Tettey Johnson

Benno Hoops Snoddy

Becchio

thats fair enough about Fox AJ and you may be right.

However Howson has now played in a variety of positions for lambert and hughton;   under lambert fox was better than Howson,  and under Hughton Hoswons performances as well as stats have got worse.  He continues to look better than his actual contribution    What is howsons prefered position,  why is he getting worse and not better?

When we have been able to compare both, fox has outperformed howson and by some margin.    

That does point to fox warranting more than just 7 prem mins this season (when already behind at wet spam), compared to howsons 1335,  if you dont give him time how can we understand whether Fox really is as unsuited to the Hughtons style as is suggested? 

it''s quite simple for me, zipper.

trust that hughton and his team are seeing something different on a day-day basis at colney than that is shown on the pitch.

if, since the start of the season where fox was offered a new contract, they have not seen enough from him on the training ground to warrant any game time, then why would they put him on the pitch?

it would be really the only logical reason of not giving him his time.

How about.......

Camp

Whittaker Turner Bassong Garrido

Kamara Tettey Johnson Snodgrass

Hoolahan

Holt