Sign in to follow this  
Daz Sparks

Wigan next week is the pivotal fixture

Win and that will as good as secure premier league football for us, a draw will as SAF has said, is "squeaky bum time", lose and we in a nasty looking brawl for 17th.

Surely the importance of this fixture is highly dependent on two other factors?

1) the result of the Wigan v Newcastle game tomorrow.

2) the result of the Sunderland v Norwich game tomorrow.

If Wigan lose tomorrow, and we grab a point, I wouldn''t call it a "must win".

If Wigan win tomorrow, and we fail to win, then I''d perhaps call it a "must not lose" game.

I think it is too early to be a must win, but it may well be a "must not lose".

If Wigan do win tomorrow, then at least Newcastle are being dragged into the fight as well, because they have Man City away the week after, and are distracted by their European QF.

"Agreed. A point tomorrow and a point v Wigan wouldnt be terrible though... i dont think?"

The problem in that equation is the difficulty I think we will have in getting a point tomorrow.

But a point at Wigan and then a win at Swansea and we''ll be all but safe.

Yes, I agree Sing up, and there`s still a lot of football to be played. I would even go as far to say that none of the present bottom 3 are sure to go down, and that is why I point so clearly to the Wigan game. Winning there would damage their hopes mortally, and boost ours in equal measure.

However, a win for us tomorrow and we all rest easier. Realistically, we are more likely to draw or lose though, and I think Wigan will be looking at the same.

I can''t see us winning any of our away games, we''ve only won 1 all season, I think the best we can hope for is getting a point at the JJB and hopefully grabbing a couple of home wins. If I had to pick two, then Swansea and Reading seem the most likely.

Newcastle at home was the pivotal fixture for me. A match we might have attempted to win rather than not to lose. A match which seems to have defined what followed. A match which might have made us all but safe and built that so important momentum needed at this stage of the season. Lots of ''mights'' but, arguably, a bigger missed opportunity than Holt''s missed penalty.

Blimey, at least I''m not as negative as Highland Canary.

We have 9 games left to play, we probably need 6 points. Why not think about where we can get those 7 points from?

It would be fantastic if 1 of those points could come from Wigan away, if it doesn''t then I''ll be worried.

As this thread shows, even if we lose to Wigan we''re still masters of our own destiny.  There''s a football cliché for you all.http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/9/2803841/ShowPost.aspx#2803841Beat Reading at home and we''re all but safe given Reading, QPR and Wigan are highly unlikely to top 36 points.A point or more off Villa would secure it.

"As this thread shows, even if we lose to Wigan we''re still masters of our own destiny. There''s a football cliché for you all"

Lose to Sunderland, Wigan beat Newcastle, Wigan beat Norwich, Wigan win game in hand = 33 points each.

I wonder what you would get on an accumulator for that sequence of events?

Isn''t their game in hand against Man.C?

Although they do look like they might never win a game ever again, and might as well give up, they''ll still probably beat Wigan. And the game in hand isn''t for ages...

If we lose to Sunderland it is. Two losses in a row and we''re three points off relegation zone. And this is Wigans favourite time of the season. I don''t think we will lose two in a row, don''t think we''ll lose tomorrow, as I don''t think Sunderlanda attack is going to be able to break down our defence frequently enough to test Bunn to score more than once. I think we''ll score as well, might just win tomorrow.

But if we don''t, and then we go to Wigan and lose, we have allowed ourselves to get pulled right into the danger zone, and we''ll be seriously lacking momentum.

I agree with Ricardo. If the season were due to end immediately after the Wigan game it would pivotal. As it is, we still have plenty games after that in which to get points.

Wigan seem like the team most likely to catch us out of the bottom three, so yes, i would agree.

If we could only get 1 win the rest of the season, i would definately pick this game (not just because i will be there). Hence the reason i have pulled the big guns out and decided to drag my girlfriend along, she''s usually a good omen (Scunthorpe 1-0, 2 years ago)

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]Surely the importance of this fixture is highly dependent on two other factors? 1) the result of the Wigan v Newcastle game tomorrow. 2) the result of the Sunderland v Norwich game tomorrow. If Wigan lose tomorrow, and we grab a point, I wouldn''t call it a "must win". If Wigan win tomorrow, and we fail to win, then I''d perhaps call it a "must not lose" game. I think it is too early to be a must win, but it may well be a "must not lose".[/quote]

Gawd. I''m not sure I could stand the excitment of a "must not lose" game. That presumably involves Holt playing as sweeper, less shots than against Southampton , and the Bus parked in the 6 yard box. [|-)]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]If we lose to Sunderland it is. Two losses in a row and we''re three points off relegation zone. And this is Wigans favourite time of the season. I don''t think we will lose two in a row, don''t think we''ll lose tomorrow, as I don''t think Sunderlanda attack is going to be able to break down our defence frequently enough to test Bunn to score more than once. I think we''ll score as well, might just win tomorrow. But if we don''t, and then we go to Wigan and lose, we have allowed ourselves to get pulled right into the danger zone, and we''ll be seriously lacking momentum.[/quote]

A bit of pant wetting going on.

The game tomorrow and the game V Wigan are not Pivotol. It is possble that even if we loose all our remaining games we will stay up.

So much pant wetting on this board. If we loose the next 3 games than we MAY have a pivotol game to play and then only of others pick up loads of points AND THEY WILL NOT!!

Get a grip people. Too many getting out their Excel spreadsheets. Instead go and put a tenner on us to go down - you will loose the tenner put at least you would have grown some balls and put your money where your mouth is! 

Pant wetting?

Lol, I don''t think we''ll lose tomorrow, and I have never thought we''d go down.

How about you let people have an opinion without having to insult them for it being different to your own?

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Pant wetting? Lol, I don''t think we''ll lose tomorrow, and I have never thought we''d go down. How about you let people have an opinion without having to insult them for it being different to your own?[/quote]

Did not mean to quote you Ginge, sorry.

Stand by what i say though.

"Too many getting out their Excel spreadsheets. Instead go and put a tenner on us to go down - you will loose the tenner put at least you would have grown some balls and put your money where your mouth is!"

Betting is a wonderful thing, because it enables you to bet both for and against something. I suspect that anybody who puts a tenner on us going down will lose a tenner. But it works both ways...... why don''t you go and put a tenner on us staying up?

"http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/to-stay-up"

You would get less than 50p profit, but at least you would have "put your money where your mouth is!"

We won''t get anything at Wigan next weekend, we don''t play them until the 30th.

This board is full of frickin loonies.

For starters, people do realise that QPR and Reading would have to win 4 of their remaining 8 games to leapfrog us and them we would literally have to lose everything we have left. Form, neither team is capable of.

Secondly, Wigan are really the ONLY team who could send us down, and they have 10 games left. They would need to win 4 minimum too, which would be a massive increase on their current season. Even in our current poor run we''ll pick up a minimum of say 4 or 5 points, which means they will need to win half their games.

So could the drama just wait like another 6 games before we start sobbing over nothing. The only reason I ask is that there is 2 months to go and I worry about some of your''s healths.

The realisation that our squad is pretty poor for premier league standards is resulting in most fans having no confidence. Every time we line up against another premier league team we are outclassed in every department. Bar maybe defensively. How can anyone have confidence when we know our midfield are never going to try and dominate and win a game, or that the chances of us scoring are next to nil?

We are probally the only side in the league who are capable of losing every game left. I don''t think we will but but hand on heart our team is weak enough for it to be a possibillity.

I''ve mentioned before we''ve got to get serious in the summer if we consolidate our premier league status.

Ok, so it`s the 30th, thanks for that Harry! I am not pant wetting at all, but maybe I should have phrased the thread title differently. Something on the lines of......."If results go against this week, the Wigan game will have a huge influence on our final league position."

I suppose though, that in an attempt at brevity I slightly skewed that I wanted to convey. I am optimisic that we will stay up, but I do see the said game as potentially the most important.

We all remember that day in May `05 when we had our fate in our own hands don`t we? Well, if results at the final whistle have gone against us, I stick to the premise that will be in a fight for our lives by then.

I know that is a few what ifs, but it ain`t nothing like the number of what ifs I have read on here recently and I class what I have written as pretty much near and present.