Sign in to follow this  
Gingerpele

Wigan Match Thread!!

Got what we deserved. You could see their goal coming a mile away. The chances were coming for Wigan and once again Hughton failed to make a change. He just let the team suffer, as usual.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]When you set up not to lose, that''s always the danger, that you concede.  I don''t care what Hughton claims today, we set up not to lose this and it''s backfired big time![/quote] I have to say I find this comment really poor. We had the majority of the chances, the majority of the possession and what is failing us is the final ball and finishing - who''s fault is that? It is not for the lack of attacking play, but turning that attacking play into goals. I feel for Hughton, I really do as people are looking at the goals for and stating that we are playing defensively as why we are not scoring when that is not the case. It''s about how to try and fit into a side your best attacking assets. I hope todays game also shows people who were calling for E.Bennett to play that he is not as good as Pilkington or Snodgrass and probably is not premiership.[/quote]

How did we have the majority of the chances

wigan 13 off 6 on us 9 off 5 on

Really people go look at mirror.

We played good game and there was nothing wrong in our game plan. They werent poor, we made them look poor.

Then poor clearance from Bassong and poor keeping from Camp.

We were under pressure only 5 minutes from this game and most of teams would be happy with that.

Yes it is shame that we got nothing when we could have gotten 3 points, but football works like that.

Only argument against Hughton is that why Howson or Johnson were not changed when they started to be out of steam. Changing Bennet for another striker would have been stupid when our tactic was working.

We lost today only because our inviduals except Hoolahan were not playing at their standards, not because of Hughton.

[quote user="Alan_Grey"][quote user="Carra Rud"]I can''t help but love the optimisim on here lol We don''t stand a chance against Swansea. We aren''t looking like winning any remaining games - seriously come on![/quote]

It''s not optimism to say that very frequently in football,. teams win when they "don''t look like winning".[/quote]So what games don''t we look like winning, but will?

[quote user="Gingerpele"]We haven''t been playing defensive football today you prat. Actually watch the game.[/quote]

Are you kidding??!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I really can''t be bothered with some fans. If you''re all that negative and depressed about football, why bother? I seriously couldn''t be bothered to even check the results if I felt like half of you lot on here...[/quote]

You left the site once crying about how everyone gave you hassle and promising not to come back, shame you changed your mind

Once Hughton''s game plan went out of the window i.e. 0 - 0  - match over. How on earth he kept Elliot Bennett on for 90 mins I really do not know. Very poor management again.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]When you set up not to lose, that''s always the danger, that you concede.  I don''t care what Hughton claims today, we set up not to lose this and it''s backfired big time![/quote] I have to say I find this comment really poor. We had the majority of the chances, the majority of the possession and what is failing us is the final ball and finishing - who''s fault is that? It is not for the lack of attacking play, but turning that attacking play into goals. I feel for Hughton, I really do as people are looking at the goals for and stating that we are playing defensively as why we are not scoring when that is not the case. It''s about how to try and fit into a side your best attacking assets. I hope todays game also shows people who were calling for E.Bennett to play that he is not as good as Pilkington or Snodgrass and probably is not premiership.[/quote]

You must have been watching a different game than me today.  We don''t get enough men forward quickly enough to put the opposition under real pressure.  We may look like we are in good positions, but the opposition defenders have had half an hour to organise themselves by that time, have a chat, a sandwich and a cuppa too!

[quote user="city4eva"]

How did we have the majority of the chances

wigan 13 off 6 on us 9 off 5 on

[/quote]

First half we were all over them. That is what makes the result gutting - not that we played badly, but that we were the better team for the majority of the game and let in a soft goal when we had enough decent chances to bury them.

It is as simple as that.

I''m really really worried after watching thay tosh. Wigan deserved to win, we didn''t go for it. I am really disappointed in our players. Southampton are playing great and other teams around us are coming good. We can''t score a goal to save our lives... sorry but I am bloody worried

[quote user="Lavanche"]Really people go look at mirror.

We played good game and there was nothing wrong in our game plan. They werent poor, we made them look poor.

Then poor clearance from Bassong and poor keeping from Camp.

We were under pressure only 5 minutes from this game and most of teams would be happy with that.

Yes it is shame that we got nothing when we could have gotten 3 points, but football works like that.

Only argument against Hughton is that why Howson or Johnson were not changed when they started to be out of steam. Changing Bennet for another striker would have been stupid when our tactic was working.

We lost today only because our inviduals except Hoolahan were not playing at their standards, not because of Hughton.[/quote]

no that was a bad performance from both us and wigan. but we''ll move onto the next game we''re hopefully gonna try and have more of a go against swansea

[quote user="Carra Rud"][quote user="Alan_Grey"][quote user="Carra Rud"]I can''t help but love the optimisim on here lol We don''t stand a chance against Swansea. We aren''t looking like winning any remaining games - seriously come on![/quote]

It''s not optimism to say that very frequently in football,. teams win when they "don''t look like winning".[/quote]So what games don''t we look like winning, but will?[/quote]

How the hell should I know? You''ve missed the point. It''s not predictable, despite your inability to control your emotions at any given time.

I thought we were ok, up until the 70th minute and if anyone was going to win it was us. But for some reason as we hit the 70th minute we just decided to put 10 men behind the ball and lost all our momentum and suddenly Wigan were given the freedom of the pitch.

Still the final ball all day long was abysmal and that is something we have to work on otherwise we will be in trouble.

You can debate this all day long but lets face it the squad has been under performing all season... tactics, formation, fitness level, skill, motivation, manager, I know who I think is the problem.NCFC is better than this... sure we had a few surprise results but over all its been dire and the league position doesn''t lie. We are down the bottom and I see no hunger in the club to rectify this - today should have been 3pts and a good performance to nudge closer to safety but no. The buck stops at Hughton.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I really can''t be bothered with some fans.

If you''re all that negative and depressed about football, why bother? I seriously couldn''t be bothered to even check the results if I felt like half of you lot on here...[/quote]

I think the problem GP is that blind optimism is starting to grate somewhat.

The evidence of the majority of our games in 2013 is that we do not look like scoring goals and cannot kill a game despite appearing to be the better team.

Of the seven games remaining - can we really, hand on heart, be sure of picking up another win?

Responses to your posts would be more favourable if there were some balance to them and acknowledgement of the position we now find ourselves in. The reality is we are slipping further towards the bottom three and look ill-equipped to deal with it.

I love the fact you are confident in how you think our coming fixtures will play out but you would be naive not to use the evidence available from the previous seven games and it doesn''t bode that well.

Were were OK, but being OK is not going to win you games.

The problem is we play most of our football in our own half - we don''t create enough. We don''t even try to keep position in or around their area. We don''t cause problems. We win the ball, slowly play it backwards for our defenders or keeper to lump up top to no-one, with no support. The game plan fails. It might help us concede less, but it''s certainly not helping us score any.

Our final balls were awful too, I can''t remember us actually having a single clear chance at goal?

[quote user="Alan_Grey"][quote user="Carra Rud"][quote user="Alan_Grey"][quote user="Carra Rud"]I can''t help but love the optimisim on here lol We don''t stand a chance against Swansea. We aren''t looking like winning any remaining games - seriously come on![/quote]

It''s not optimism to say that very frequently in football,. teams win when they "don''t look like winning".[/quote]So what games don''t we look like winning, but will?[/quote]

How the hell should I know? You''ve missed the point. It''s not predictable, despite your inability to control your emotions at any given time.[/quote]

Never heard of sarcasam? [:P]

[quote user="Drazen Muzinic"][quote user="Gingerpele"]I really can''t be bothered with some fans.

If you''re all that negative and depressed about football, why bother? I seriously couldn''t be bothered to even check the results if I felt like half of you lot on here...[/quote]

I think the problem GP is that blind optimism is starting to grate somewhat.

The evidence of the majority of our games in 2013 is that we do not look like scoring goals and cannot kill a game despite appearing to be the better team.

Of the seven games remaining - can we really, hand on heart, be sure of picking up another win?

Responses to your posts would be more favourable if there were some balance to them and acknowledgement of the position we now find ourselves in. The reality is we are slipping further towards the bottom three and look ill-equipped to deal with it.

I love the fact you are confident in how you think our coming fixtures will play out but you would be naive not to use the evidence available from the previous seven games and it doesn''t bode that well.[/quote]Well said!

[quote user="Drazen Muzinic"][quote user="Gingerpele"]I really can''t be bothered with some fans. If you''re all that negative and depressed about football, why bother? I seriously couldn''t be bothered to even check the results if I felt like half of you lot on here...[/quote] I think the problem GP is that blind optimism is starting to grate somewhat. The evidence of the majority of our games in 2013 is that we do not look like scoring goals and cannot kill a game despite appearing to be the better team. Of the seven games remaining - can we really, hand on heart, be sure of picking up another win? Responses to your posts would be more favourable if there were some balance to them and acknowledgement of the position we now find ourselves in. The reality is we are slipping further towards the bottom three and look ill-equipped to deal with it. I love the fact you are confident in how you think our coming fixtures will play out but you would be naive not to use the evidence available from the previous seven games and it doesn''t bode that well.[/quote]

And if it hadnt got personal

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

You must have been watching a different game than me today.  We don''t get enough men forward quickly enough to put the opposition under real pressure.  We may look like we are in good positions, but the opposition defenders have had half an hour to organise themselves by that time, have a chat, a sandwich and a cuppa too!

[/quote]

We created enough decent chances in the first half - sadly no shots on target.

The slowness to the build up is not the problem, you can''t always attack with pace. You can''t always attack on the break

We had Wigan on the ropes, failed to land a decent punch and got taken out at the end of the last round when we let a loose punch through.

[quote user="city4eva"]

[quote user="Drazen Muzinic"][quote user="Gingerpele"]I really can''t be bothered with some fans. If you''re all that negative and depressed about football, why bother? I seriously couldn''t be bothered to even check the results if I felt like half of you lot on here...[/quote] I think the problem GP is that blind optimism is starting to grate somewhat. The evidence of the majority of our games in 2013 is that we do not look like scoring goals and cannot kill a game despite appearing to be the better team. Of the seven games remaining - can we really, hand on heart, be sure of picking up another win? Responses to your posts would be more favourable if there were some balance to them and acknowledgement of the position we now find ourselves in. The reality is we are slipping further towards the bottom three and look ill-equipped to deal with it. I love the fact you are confident in how you think our coming fixtures will play out but you would be naive not to use the evidence available from the previous seven games and it doesn''t bode that well.[/quote]

And if it hadnt got personal

[/quote]

I think the problem actually is that there are people stating there is ''blind optimism'' when there isn''t any.

Anyone who has said they feel we won''t go down is branded as having ''blind optimism'' despite stating where they feel they will get the points from.

It is ok to disagree with that but there are some real tools on here who have predicted us to finish bottom.

That third spot is all that threatens us now.

I stand by what I have said for the last few games, we do not deserve to go down. We had a great unbeaten run, we have won - and deservedly so, against some top sides.

If we had played poorly today I would be agreeing, saying we are looking in bad form and be worried. But we didn''t. We were the better team, but sometimes the better team doesn''t win and that is football.

I still think we will be ok, maybe not as high as 12th - but we are in transition. There was a lot of work to do on our squad. It''s only half done at most. I highlighted elsewhere that as many as 8 of our current named 25 could be on their way in the summer.