Sign in to follow this  
Gingerpele

Wigan Match Thread!!

Camp; R.Martin (C), Bassong, Turner, Garrido; Johnson, Howson, Snodgrass, E.Bennett, Hoolahan; Kamara.

bench: Steer; Whittaker, Holt, Fox, Becchio, Tierney, Tettey.

Kamara up top again!

And the Wigan team:

Robles; Alcaraz, Boyce, Scharner, Figueroa; Beausejour, McCarthy, Maloney, McManaman; Gomez, Kone.

Al Habsi; Caldwell, Di Santo, Henriquez, McArthur, Espinoza, Stam..

Thanks GP, been looking for this on the net but couldn''t find it!

Their keeper is supposed to be decent, guess we''ll see today think we''ll actually win this today 3-1 and i wouldn''t put it past holt coming off the bench to get a couple either!

The official twitter account is the best place to look, almost without fail they have the lineups an hour before kick off!

Haven''t see their keeper myself yet, but read Martinez has told Al Habsi he''s got to earn his place back in the team because of the new GK.

Well all know just how good Al Habsi is, so if this other guy is better, we really need to be clinical today.

So Martin is fit enough to start, Tettey makes the bench. Unchanged from last time out I believe (minus Bunn of course, Jed Steer getting the nod to take his place on the bench)?

Snoddy looks so restricted on the left - needs to be down the right.

Bennett is even worse on the left though, when he played there before thought we might as well have had 10 men on the pitch. Which is strange, because he''s very energetic and gets about so should still have an impact, even if he''s not posing much of an attacking threat. I''d be tempted to bring Whittaker on at HT or not long after if Snod doesn''t seem effective, stick him over on the right and bring Bennett off. Because Whittaker looked good in the one attack he had down the left against Sunderland.

More importantly, Spurs 1-0 Swansea. If we win we''ll be 3 points off them (if they lose) and we play them at home next week, and have a good record against them. So if we manage to sneak a win and Spurs do their job, we could very well be equal with Swansea on 40 points next week.

Pretty equal, we''ve attacked, they''ve attacked, neither team is giving the ball away too much. Can''t complain. Had a good counter attack chance, 3 on 2 but Snod was a bit indecisive/slow or the ball fro, Hoolahan wasn''t good enough, not quite sure...

Very even, a good game between two bottom half sides really.

Snoddy coming into the game, but looks so limited down the left. Benno is doing little to convince me he''s good enough to play regularly at this level.

Impressed with Kamara up top, just as much running as Holt, just with a loss less whinging and falling over. Howson anonymous.

We play the ball too deep though, need to be passing it around in midfield more - we just end up going backwards before either a defender or Camp lumps it forward to no-one in particular

We haven''t actually attacked down the right yet...

If we''re going to move Snod from his preferred position, only to not use the player taking his place because he''s more effective, well we might as well not bother...

[quote user="AJ"]We play the ball too deep though, need to be passing it around in midfield more - we just end up going backwards before either a defender or Camp lumps it forward to no-one in particular[/quote]we been hoofing from the keeper for a while now. Its really anoying for the keeper to play a 50 -50 or in most cases 75-25 to the opponent. Would rather build from the back

Overal I think we are just about edging play. But Wigan have had a couple of much closer chances. We just can''t play that final ball right at the moment...

We''ve been poor in central midfield so far. Very static and immobile. Howson and Johnson need to pull their finger out.Getting tired of all these professional fouls on Wes.too. A yellow card or two would soon stop that, Webb.

When have we had the ball in CM?

Whenever i''ve seen Johnson and Howson they are doing pretty well...

Main problem I see now is, this is probably our good half. Very likely we''ll come out very slowly in the second half, and if Wigan don''t score we might not step it up for a while, if at all...

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Christ we are boring to watch these days :-/[/quote]
Then don''t watch [:)] Simple, eh?

Johnson, Wes, Kamara, Snodgrass and the defence have been good. Bennett and Howson anonymous as usual. Need more threat up to, would take off Bennett for Holt/Becchio and put Wes on the left.Story of our season, we have played well without testing the keeper.

Pfff in my opinion we were exiting. Lot''s of good movement and quick pass combinations. Good game from team. Crossing was very poor, we got into right positions and had dangerous still ball situations, but almost always cross or long bass was poor.

Hoolahan was pure magic again. His first touch and decision is so good that he makes our other players look so poor ^^

Anyway for me we were lot better team and if we keep this up, we can get those 3 points.

We miss Pilks badly, despite him not being in form, just for stability across the flanks.

As for Howson? I''m sorry, but if Tettey is fit he needs to come on today. His passing and presence is far more than Howson offers, anonymous at best.

Benno poor, really hoping he would get into the game and give it a go - looks to be more of an impact player to me.

Kamara good, but very little to no service. Holding up well and playing the ball back to the midfield. Doesn''t seem to connect with Hoolahan like Holt does, though.

Not sure the game will get any more lively. To be fair, by sitting deep we''re stemming the Wigan attacks, they''ve only looked dangerous the few times they''ve beaten us at the back when we''ve thrown men forward.

Another 0-0 isn''t great, but it''s one point towards safety, and 2 points less for Wigan.

OK half of football. We''ve been recycling the ball well enough, but there have been times where we''ve just passed the ball back to the goalkeeper for a long-pass upfield. Pretty even game, possession is 50/50ish although are passing accracy is much lower than Wigan''s. Howson''s kept the ball well, as has Snodgrass, Johnson and Bennett not so much. Kamara''s pace offers a new passing option (in behind) which Howson and Hoolahan have looked to exploit. The major issues is a lack of movement. Hoolahan and Kamara have made good runs and generally been open to a pass almost all game but apart from that, it''s been a bit too rigid. I think going in at half time 0-0 is a good thing, as the players may be more confident and agressive in their attacking in the second half, knowing that Wigan have caused them few problems.

[quote user="Stig"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Christ we are boring to watch these days :-/[/quote]
Then don''t watch [:)] Simple, eh?
[/quote]LOL not that easy though is it ?Football is life, everything else just a dream

Do I close my eyes when Johnson gives the ball away?

Can''t say I''ve noticed him give it away more than twice... And Howson has only had the ball about 5 times.

Some people always moan it seems. Not looking too bad atm. A draw here is a v.good result lets not forget. A win would all but see us safe. Would rather just not lose this though thanks.