Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

Goals win Games - Simples!

I know it is a trite comment but, it stands the test of time!

I also know that it''s not always exactly true - but the corollary is always true - no goals = no wins!

So, with the great and the good (and the wealthy) that have the privilege of playing for Norwich, being aware of that little gem, I would like to think that a certain striker has woken up to the fact that his performances of late have necessitated CH bringing in 2 strikers to the club. Not only that, but one of them gets the nod ahead of him as 1st choice striker!

What has brought this on? Well:

1) this certain striker should have been sent off against Sunderland  (possibly Chris Foy felt Norwich had been hard done by and hence only gave a yellow card). That challenge on Mignolet was deplorable and he should be thanking the Sunderland goalkeeper for not making a meal of it!

2) this certain striker has not been on the top of his game - whether it was his miscontrol in front of goal as in 1 above or his lack of sharpness especially evident in his inability to read the cross from Whittaker - it really is not what we have come to expect.

3) to call a digging implement a digging implement - he hasn''t really disturbed the "goals for" column very much.

Hopefully, during the next 2 weeks he can concentrate on a bit of fitness - then, with a bit of luck,  normal service will be restored!

Small point of order. Two strikers weren''t brought in simply because Holty is out of form. Bit wrong to put that on him.

And, as you allude to, goals don''t always win games (not so simples!). We scored three against Man City and still lost.

If you don''t concede any goals, the minimum number of points you gain is one. If you score goals, the minimum number of points you can gain is still zero!

You are quite right that you can''t win a game without scoring at least one goal. Looking at the example above, though, would you rather score three goals and get no points (Man City) or score no goals and gain a point (several examples this season)?

BTW, I know the preferred option is to score goals and win games. However, almost every game we play is against a team that has been built on several seasons of Premiership income. I don''t understand how some fans seem to expect a team largely composed of players recently plying their trade in League 1 and The Championship to be out-classing these guys.

We all know he is out of condition and form but he is probably the best we have at the moment unless Kamara comes good. The question is does he have a future after this season. for me the answer is yes but he may have to get used to being cover for others or coming on from the bench. He had the opportunity in the last 2 games to get us 4 more points. that said but for his goals we may still be in league 1 let alone the premiership so lets not be too harsh, his place in club history is assured

Yorkshire, I don''t think Becchio has really had a fair chance to show us what he can do yet!

I can''t say he would have done better in front of goal on sunday, but I feel he''s due a chance in the team.

On this level you have to put away such chances, that is "simples" imo.

Sorry to have to bring this up again, BUT!

GOALS WIN GAMES!

NCFC don''t score goals! Whatever excuse one may like to give - our team don''t score goals - maybe they can''t score goals?

Pretty unprecedented for a team to buy a new player for a record fee, 3+ months before they can even use him!

One would have thought that the manager and the club were sending out a pretty big hint! But, to no avail!

It appears to me that our club captain "wants to be loved" and cannot take criticism. CH has left him on the bench to try and motivate him - to no avail. As much as I have admired GH the PERCEPTION is, that after getting his own way re his "new & improved" contract" he increasingly appears to be a shadow of his former self (metaphorically speaking - certainly not literally speaking!!)

As great a servant as he has been to this club (who has also been great for him, let''s not forget), I think that CH needs to accept the reality that GH is not upto the required standard - and his own actions (or lack of) have pushed him from a potential England call up last year to a nowhere man this year!

I am very sorry to have to write this, but it''s time to accept that he doesn''t have it in him. He well may be trying his heart out, but unfortunately, his best is just not good enough. Maybe he has an ongoing weight problem, or a mobility issue, or some mental block or some other medical ailment - whatever it might be, those advising and "helping" (sic) him have not done him any favours - since the end of last season.

And for those who question CH''s insistence on keeping GH here with a new and improved contract - it was a no brainer really - he needed to keep the fans favourite no matter how he wanted the team to play. It was a calculated risk that he probably discussed with D. McN - one additional year to hope that he would perform and help keep the club up, whilst CH goes about the longer term requirements for the team and the club.

Let''s hope that GH''s inability doesn''t scupper the whole plan!

On top of that he needs to turn of that damn twitter account because it winds people up to hear about his day in Carlisle with the family when a brief Bassong or Garrido post or better still a Russell martin type ''no post'' would be best.

He needs to stop giving stupid interviews to the national press because he leaves himself open to ridicule.

Basically, Grant, let your football do the talking. Most of us only care about Grant Holt the footballer. Walk the walk.