Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Clean Sheets and Draws - No Longer Enough.

I''ve been expressing my concerns for weeks only to have them interpreted by the complacent as tantamount to wanting Norwich City relegated. It was clear a long way back we were in trouble.

Crucially, we are not scoring goals, unlike Wigan and Villa and will have to change shape and system to try and kick start our approach, but that is a very difficult thing to do.

Only Sunderland IMO stand between us and that 3rd bottom place at this rate; forget Reading and QPR but try to remember it is THREE sides which go down.

A lot of our players put in honest shifts today but the passing, again, wasn''t there on a pitch with plenty of space. Grant Holt came on and immediately Wigan pushed up because he has no pace and then just began throwing his weight around. We would be safe already if he could have taken some very gettable chances this season.

Thank goodness Camp won''t feature again; as limp wristed as Larry Grayson he should have saved the goal, the Easter Bunny would have.

Villa and Wigan will not go down; I''ve been saying that for weeks and now both are breathing down our necks with Villa knowing they have to play us; I wonder who''ll be the more nervous.

Complacent players and complacent supporters with a large chunk of the season left.

It is very tight. A win today would have put us 10th but, of all that pack of sides, from Villa and Wigan upwards there is merely a handful of points, the big gap to the bottom three has gone and the worst two, the ones only their own fans would cry over if they went down on their form and set up are Sunderland and Norwich.

You need two wins, Hughton. To win you need to score more than the opposition. Take your blinkers off. Smell the coffee.

The big gap has disappeared for several other teams too. The situation has deteriorated *slightly*, but it''s not as if everyone has leapfrogged us, just that the permutation of those below and around us is more likely to change.

I think we will survive by the skin of our teeth. Its got so bad now that having a shot on target is to much for us, never mind scoring goals. But as bad as we are i think we will get 4 more points and just stay up. Hughton is a lucky to have the backing he does from the board, many managers have lost their jobs for less.

"I''ve been expressing my concerns for weeks..."

Weeks? More like years when you said we would never get promoted from League One.

In fairness, Nutty, I was fairly happy with the starting line up although I cannot understand why Whittaker isn''t in the side as he improves us or why Garrido is rated quite so highly. (I know he is primarily a RB but can play anywhere along the back or in midfield).

I thought KK was right up front on his own and did a decent job with a lack of support.

But it is all about momentum and mindset and it has taken weeks of mind-numbing goal-less games to bring us to this stage where we are in a rut. Something needs to break for us.

I keep going back to that Everton turn around when it was clear to anyone there the players got a break and said ''f@ck you Hughton, we''re going for this.''

Look at Holt''s (inadvisable) interview; hardly glowing in praise for the manager was he; and that''s the captain.

Had we done what Reading did and brought in a positive manager like Adkins I am certain the mood, the style, the performance and the results would change over-night. Instead our management team are like something out of ''Shaun of the Dead.'' And worst of all, if we go down, shamefully we will go down without a fight.

The matchday atmosphere at Carrow Road tells you all you need to know.

Well Rudolph the players revolting against the manager is your opinion just as Holt''s fitness and your cycling skills were. What I do know is that if we go down it won''t be because Holt couldn''t be arsed to keep himself fit. Which is why I now look at all your claims in a different light. If anyone talks sense on this board it''s Purple. If we go down it will be because the board failed to gamble in January. IMO our best starting eleven doesn''t include KK or Becchio but remains the one that played earlier in the season when we were winning games. We now have spent the money but can''t play the player. That suggests to me that Hughton didn''t get any of his preferred targets in the transfer window just as Worthy didn''t back in 2006. Worthy carried your can for that and Hughton carries your can this time. Doncaster and McNally just walk away scot free. It was a gamble and we could still win it. We should still win it. But if we don''t will it really be Hughton''s fault?

Sounds like a member of the " lets take the pis out of everyone that suggests we may be in trouble " brigade is beginning to cover his arse!

Sorry Nutty, but

tactically yes it would be Hughton''s fault.

I don''t believe teams had sussed us out by the end of last year.  I agree that our defence needed improving, but that was personnel not tactics.

Instead we say our defence is better only because we defend with more players and attack less.  This only invites pressure!

As of this time last year we had 5 more points, 3 more wins, conceded only two more goals, but had scored 14 more goals!

I know stats can be used to say anything, but I think these comparisons are valid!

Snake

Whilst you have to be concerned about whether we stay up or not, it is merely a matter of opinion as to whether clean sheets and draws will keep us up or not, they may well be enough, they may not. I would be more concerned if we were adrift at the foot of the table and the only team struggling for points. The fact of the matter is we have seven games left and there are other teams around us struggling for points (Stoke and Sunderland spring to mind), add to the mix that teams fighting for their Premiership survival have to play each other  and four clean sheets and four draws might be enough to keep us up, then again it might not, nobody knows, and that is the point we must not allow ourselves to believe our opinions are facts. If all the people posting at the moment were that good at predicting the outcome of football matches (me included) we would all be millionaires as we would be picking 8 score draws week in week out......

I believe a lot of the negativity from fans today stems from what we are seeing on the pitch. NCFC play a very negative game, minimal risk - keep it tight hope to nick a goal. It works some of the time, lose a goal late in the game and you need a lot of luck to get on level terms.

Did we deserve to lose today - NO! However, the tactics dictate our style of play and remember a lot of these same players were bombing forward last year under Lambert. We shipped goals but we went at teams and scored. Now, we seem in fear of crossing the halfway line - to me its not the way to play. Give it a real go - play without fear...that way fans respect the players.

I dare any one to say watching City play this year is entertaining! The majority of games have been dreadful, and I am sure people like Holt have suffered under CH. I have to agree, a couple of wins and the whole mood will change on this board - however, lets be honest - we struggle to even make the opposition goalie get his shirt dirty ..let alone find the back of the net ...

[quote user="snake-eyes"]

Sorry Nutty, but

tactically yes it would be Hughton''s fault.

I don''t believe teams had sussed us out by the end of last year.  I agree that our defence needed improving, but that was personnel not tactics.

Instead we say our defence is better only because we defend with more players and attack less.  This only invites pressure!

As of this time last year we had 5 more points, 3 more wins, conceded only two more goals, but had scored 14 more goals!

I know stats can be used to say anything, but I think these comparisons are valid!

Snake

[/quote]

Well only if you believe we are tactically inept Snake. As I said on another thread as far as I could make out we tactically matched Wigan today but as usual didn''t have a cutting edge up front. If posters are right and we went up there to defend for a 0-0 then I apologise. But I wasn''t at the game so had to rely on what Adrian Forbes had to say whilst I watched it on the wireless.

From what I have seen in this run it is the cutting edge that''s missing. The tactics seem fine and I haven''t seen us really outplayed by anyone.

Sorry Nigel,

But although we initially matched a poor Wigan side we may have attacked (but not in numbers), we created nothing.  No shots on target says it all!  Over the last few months we have barely created anything! Relying on luck rather than creativity to get a Goal!

I want to believe I really do, but I have seen nothing to lift my spirits and help me believe!

If we remain on our current path I fear greatly!  However if we can up the tempo and attack meaningfully we will create the chances to win!

Snake

Carefully Snake, if you don''t tread carefully you will be put into an inner sanctum of "pant wetters"

[quote user="snake-eyes"]

Sorry Nigel,

But although we initially matched a poor Wigan side we may have attacked (but not in numbers), we created nothing.  No shots on target says it all!  Over the last few months we have barely created anything! Relying on luck rather than creativity to get a Goal!

I want to believe I really do, but I have seen nothing to lift my spirits and help me believe!

If we remain on our current path I fear greatly!  However if we can up the tempo and attack meaningfully we will create the chances to win!

Snake

[/quote]

Well fair play to you Snake. As I said I didn''t go and had to rely on what I could see on the wireless[8-|]

According to what I heard from the commentary and from Forbes'' summaries we had more of the ball, got forward in numbers but had no cutting edge in the final third and often delayed the ball into the box too long. From what I''ve seen lately those two facts are related. It also seemed to me that Wigan were most dangerous on the break. Especially when we had too many playes forward with Howson covering centreback a couple of times too.

Have I been mislead yet again by my wireless buddy?

We had plenty of the ball for sure Nutty, but not where we could hurt them. More often than not we were slow and predictable in possession, the midfield didn''t get into the box to support Kei, no overlapping from the fullbacks, we gave the ball away cheaply too often and the final ball was wasteful.

It''s unfortunately continuation of the way we have been playing.

Rudolph - it was always a risky strategy. The only bit of quality from either team earnt Wigan the points today. A little more urgency after Christmas and we''d have been clear.

Hopefully, a win against Reading and a point against West Brom will be enough but we all thought we''d be ok in 1995 and look what happened then.

just driven back from Wigan and heard Hughton on the radio bleating that we didnt deserve to lose, whilst that maybe the case today if you have one attempt on target you leave yourself with very little margin for error.

Swansea is huge.......unfortunately I can''t trust Hughton to pick the right team

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

just driven back from Wigan and heard Hughton on the radio bleating that we didnt deserve to lose, whilst that maybe the case today if you have one attempt on target you leave yourself with very little margin for error.

Swansea is huge.......unfortunately I can''t trust Hughton to pick the right team

[/quote]

So what would have been the right team? We had Holt on the bench which was what was wanted. We had Snodgrass on the left. Ditto.

The right team for me is the one that played ealier this season with Hoolahan playiong off Holt and Tettey and Johnson centre mid. We don''t have Pilks which is a blow. But playing Snodgrass on the left just compounds it and what''s Elliott Bennett done to justify Rudolph''s faith in him and to justify moving Snodgrass from his best position.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

So what would have been the right team? We had Holt on the bench which was what was wanted. We had Snodgrass on the left. Ditto.

The right team for me is the one that played ealier this season with Hoolahan playiong off Holt and Tettey and Johnson centre mid. We don''t have Pilks which is a blow. But playing Snodgrass on the left just compounds it and what''s Elliott Bennett done to justify Rudolph''s faith in him and to justify moving Snodgrass from his best position.

[/quote]

wanted by whom? the same people who say he is fat? Not by me He should start

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

for a team thats scored 5 goals in the last 11 games ,I can''t see any  justification in leaving your (still) best stiker at the club on the bench?

When Kamara joined he was described as a player that operated in from wide either side of the main striker, as he should have been today ,left of Holt with Snodgrass ,as you say, on the right.

It was surely never part of the plan for someone to come out of the MLS to act as our lone striker?!?!?.  There isn''t a single Premiership side that is fielding a weaker "strikerforce" than Hoolahan and Kamara and we wonder why we can''t score goals?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

for a team thats scored 5 goals in the last 11 games ,I can''t see any  justification in leaving your (still) best stiker at the club on the bench?

When Kamara joined he was described as a player that operated in from wide either side of the main striker, as he should have been today ,left of Holt with Snodgrass ,as you say, on the right.

It was surely never part of the plan for someone to come out of the MLS to act as our lone striker?!?!?.  There isn''t a single Premiership side that is fielding a weaker "strikerforce" than Hoolahan and Kamara and we wonder why we can''t score goals?

[/quote]

I agree but according to nutty nigel that is what was wanted, i ask again by whom? the same so called supporters who drove morrison out?

For all the posturing and gesticulating, we still won''t get relegated. But "Fatty" being left on the bench hasn''t helped one iota.

The biggest compliment I can pay Holt and Hoolahan is that from League One to Championship, to Premier, to Premier again, they have been the catalyst for all that. They remain our most dangerous players.

And for that reason, Dragons, I''d start them both at every available opportunity.

A pertinent question, when the Wigan back 4 saw it was Kamara and not Holt, did they shit a brick or sigh with relief?

[quote user="city4eva"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree but according to nutty nigel that is what was wanted, i ask again by whom? the same so called supporters who drove morrison out?

[/quote]

Well you can start with this thread but if you want more they''re out there.

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2882651/ShowPost.aspx

Now do you want me to find you all the threads clamouring for Snodgrass to be moved from right to left?

These are my two criticisms of Hughton yet strangely they are things so many wanted him to do. Which was the point I was making. If ytou two didn''t then good on ya! But you, like me were swimming against the tide a month ago.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="city4eva"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well you can start with this thread but if you want more they''re out there.

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2882651/ShowPost.aspx

Now do you want me to find you all the threads clamouring for Snodgrass to be moved from right to left?

These are my two criticisms of Hughton yet strangely they are things so many wanted him to do. Which was the point I was making. If ytou two didn''t then good on ya! But you, like me were swimming against the tide a month ago.

[/quote]

its a minor point in te scheme of things as they would probably intercange during a game anyway.....I dont care whether its Sondreass right/Bennett left or vice versa, Kamara left/Snodgrass right or vice versa, Pilkington should be back next week anyway.............the main issue is that HOLT HAS TO BE ON THE PITCH!!!!!

Yesterday was a game of two halfs - we dominated the first without ever really looking like scoring but were a distant second in the second half.

We did have good possession - ended the first half 51% in our favour - virtually a first for us all season,  where our average is 43% possession of the ball.   We were in control of the game with wes and kei causing their back 3 problems even if we did not looking like scoring.   Garrido got forward and there was only one winner on the cards.  Our passing was ok at 80% but only because howson moved the ball sideways too often.However our crossing and pass selection was disappointing and woeful in the last third.   And this is where the tactics failed as while we dominated the game our midfield continued to sit too deep,  so BJ and howson rarely got into the opponents box,  giving few options to the city player with the ball, making accuracy more important and teh defenders job too easy.  That is a tactical managerial choice.    In contrast when wigan did threaten they did so in number and had options.  As such half time ended with shots 5-4 to the home team as they carried a great threat when their chance came but distinctly second best as a team. 

The second half was completely different.   We started slowly and our passing went to pieces.  From around 80% we finished the game with a 71% average - we shows how bad the second half must have been - with BJ & Howson prime in that result with a below 75% pass rate.    Wigan pressed us more,  forcing us into mistakes and highlighting the central midfield deficiencies.   Keis movement remained good but balls to him became increasingly desperate and hopeful.   Only Wes continued to remain calm,   keeping the ball well and wanting to probe. However the CM two could not get the ball to wes or the wingers reliably enough for them to have an impact,  with the ratio of ball to snodgrass much lower.   Replacing Kei was the right move - but should probably have been done 5 mins early for both players sake.   However the only impact Holt had was negative (no holding the ball up or leading the line, offside, fouls and a yellow card summed up his cameo.  At least he had an impact - I cant recall Becchio at all.    As for tettey for howson I still cant see the logic in that one when going to win the game - tettey is all defensive prowess and while howson had another totally ineffective game, he  is always more likely to create something than tettey (that fox or tettey should have started ahead of howson is another matter).   Removing Wes was an astounding choice - the player who made us tick at all taken off - and closed down the game for Wigan.    Not sure why the swap was not Becchio for Howson,  would have meant a more creative midield with wes on and two strikers - or bring on Becchio for wes and use fox to try and pass or free kick us an equaliser.   The combination did not and was not likely to work.   

We lost this game in central midfield yesterday, in teh second half BJ & Howson were overwhelmed.

Overall Camp Bennett and Howson yesterday explain what is currently wrong.    However they are at best emergency squad cover players and simply highlight that when one of  our first choice players are out we struggle.  We need more strength in depth so roll on the summer.    Bring in Bunn, Tettey and Pilks and the team is totally different and far more effective.  

Camp will be disappointed with the winner - both bunn and ruddy would probably have saved it.

Howsons record can no longer be described as a blip - again he was by passed as a defender and yesterday even BJ outpassed him as an attacking option.  When boths passing rate was below 75% and BJ remains the 4th worst midfield passer in the PL what more can you say?

Bennett - good pace but consistently poor passing - less end product that Lee Croft?   Finds touch nearly as often as Andy Hughes?    And we chose to sacrifice Snodgrass'' prefered position to accomodate Benno.  Cant see pilks being fit so play bennett on the left and let snoddy revel in his prefered role.   

We did have our strongest team starting today (assuming Tettey not match fit) from those available and in form our there today.  Some of you will cry Whittaker,  however would he really have made such a difference today?    There is but a gnats whisker difference between him and martin and garrido had a good game.   Our problems are all central midfield based and wont be resolved until we buy better in the summer,  moving BJ and maybe tettey to the subs bench rather than starters,   then we know we will have improved our squad significantly and can look forward to next season. 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Yesterday was a game of two halfs - we dominated the first without ever really looking like scoring but were a distant second in the second half.

We did have good possession - ended the first half 51% in our favour - virtually a first for us all season,  where our average is 43% possession of the ball.   We were in control of the game with wes and kei causing their back 3 problems even if we did not looking like scoring.   Garrido got forward and there was only one winner on the cards.  Our passing was ok at 80% but only because howson moved the ball sideways too often.However our crossing and pass selection was disappointing and woeful in the last third.   And this is where the tactics failed as while we dominated the game our midfield continued to sit too deep,  so BJ and howson rarely got into the opponents box,  giving few options to the city player with the ball, making accuracy more important and teh defenders job too easy.  That is a tactical managerial choice.    In contrast when wigan did threaten they did so in number and had options.  As such half time ended with shots 5-4 to the home team as they carried a great threat when their chance came but distinctly second best as a team. 

The second half was completely different.   We started slowly and our passing went to pieces.  From around 80% we finished the game with a 71% average - we shows how bad the second half must have been - with BJ & Howson prime in that result with a below 75% pass rate.    Wigan pressed us more,  forcing us into mistakes and highlighting the central midfield deficiencies.   Keis movement remained good but balls to him became increasingly desperate and hopeful.   Only Wes continued to remain calm,   keeping the ball well and wanting to probe. However the CM two could not get the ball to wes or the wingers reliably enough for them to have an impact,  with the ratio of ball to snodgrass much lower.   Replacing Kei was the right move - but should probably have been done 5 mins early for both players sake.   However the only impact Holt had was negative (no holding the ball up or leading the line, offside, fouls and a yellow card summed up his cameo.  At least he had an impact - I cant recall Becchio at all.    As for tettey for howson I still cant see the logic in that one when going to win the game - tettey is all defensive prowess and while howson had another totally ineffective game, he  is always more likely to create something than tettey (that fox or tettey should have started ahead of howson is another matter).   Removing Wes was an astounding choice - the player who made us tick at all taken off - and closed down the game for Wigan.    Not sure why the swap was not Becchio for Howson,  would have meant a more creative midield with wes on and two strikers - or bring on Becchio for wes and use fox to try and pass or free kick us an equaliser.   The combination did not and was not likely to work.   

We lost this game in central midfield yesterday, in teh second half BJ & Howson were overwhelmed.

Overall Camp Bennett and Howson yesterday explain what is currently wrong.    However they are at best emergency squad cover players and simply highlight that when one of  our first choice players are out we struggle.  We need more strength in depth so roll on the summer.    Bring in Bunn, Tettey and Pilks and the team is totally different and far more effective.  

Camp will be disappointed with the winner - both bunn and ruddy would probably have saved it.

Howsons record can no longer be described as a blip - again he was by passed as a defender and yesterday even BJ outpassed him as an attacking option.  When boths passing rate was below 75% and BJ remains the 4th worst midfield passer in the PL what more can you say?

Bennett - good pace but consistently poor passing - less end product that Lee Croft?   Finds touch nearly as often as Andy Hughes?    And we chose to sacrifice Snodgrass'' prefered position to accomodate Benno.  Cant see pilks being fit so play bennett on the left and let snoddy revel in his prefered role.   

We did have our strongest team starting today (assuming Tettey not match fit) from those available and in form our there today.  Some of you will cry Whittaker,  however would he really have made such a difference today?    There is but a gnats whisker difference between him and martin and garrido had a good game.   Our problems are all central midfield based and wont be resolved until we buy better in the summer,  moving BJ and maybe tettey to the subs bench rather than starters,   then we know we will have improved our squad significantly and can look forward to next season. 

[/quote]

Yesterday was a game of two halfs - we dominated the first without ever really looking like scoring but were a distant second in the second half.- where we still did''nt look like scoring........thats about it in a nutshell.