Sign in to follow this  
Robert N. LiM

The Doc - Ginger Pele or Ginger carthorse?

Views on the Doc, please. As an exile I haven''t seen many games, but every time I''ve seen him play he looks like an utter liability. Hoofing it up in the air, getting caught out by a chronic lack of pace, scoring own goals, injuring our own players, firing exocet back-passes at Greeno. He even looks unconvincing when he''s miles from the ball - close-ups on the telly reveal a frightened rabbit.

Yet he''s in pretty much everyone''s first choice team when we debate it on these pages. So am I missing something? He obviously adds height to the defence, but we haven''t exactly shored things up at the back since he came into the team. I genuinely can''t think of anything else. But I''d love to be wrong.

OTBC forever

The reason he is in most people back 4 is that he is better than most of the alternatives.  People have accepted that Shackell will never get a chance, which means 2 from Doc, Flem and Charlie. 

Flem has been even worse than Doc ever since the pair came together - I think sat was the first performance that flem and doc have been on a  par - every other game has seen doc     out-perform flem far too comfortably.  Many of his games have been OK - he did very well against everton yet gets remembered for the OG rather than snuffing out Beattie.  Doc is not fantastic but no where near as bad as some make out - there have been man far worse performers at the back this season.

Like many I would love to see Shacks and Charlie, experience and youth, pace and organisation, height and reading of the game but it simply wont happen so my first choice continues to be charlie and doc.

OTBC

2 bodged clearances from Fleming lead to WBA hitting the bar and post in quick succession. But I suppose that''s alright because it was Flem?

The reason Shackell hasn''t been given a chance is because it would mean Fleming, the only person half-capable/willing to organise our defence, would have to be dropped. Doherty doesn''t organise the defence and Shackell hasn''t got the experience to organise a Prem defence.

In all honestly, doc hasn''t performed all that badly at centre back. Ok so he had a bad game this sat but apart from that he''s done well and has been fairly solid, its flem who''s been the liability a lot of the time and he''s been average at best, but even he gets in there and throws himself in the way to blocks shots. Doc is doing his best as are the rest of the team, and we can''t ask for any more than that. the fact that they are only 2 pts from safety shows that we still have a good chance of avoiding the drop, despite all the goals we''ve conceded. Keep the Faith

According to the BBC he''s obviously Ginger Pele. He''s in their Premiership team of the week!!!

Who says journalists don''t have a clue what they''re talking about??

It''s funny a few weeks back Eddy was getting a lot of stick, from me too, but now he has fallen off the radar as Flem has been consistantly bad.  However people are now getting on the Doc''s back.  Like others before I would say Doc is better than Flem and his age on his side.   Flem is a seasoned pro that is coming to the end of an average career, Doc is a youngster (that looks old) who is starting an average career, but could easily be a great career.   With that in mind I would choose Doc over Flem any day.   The sooner Helveg is back the better as it should be Eddy - Helveg - Doc - Charlton.

Still I can''t see Worthy dropping Flem.

[quote]Views on the Doc, please. As an exile I haven''t seen many games, but every time I''ve seen him play he looks like an utter liability. Hoofing it up in the air, getting caught out by a chronic lack of p...[/quote]

Why a new thead Robert?, this subject is already being coverved on page 1.

[quote]2 bodged clearances from Fleming lead to WBA hitting the bar and post in quick succession. But I suppose that''s alright because it was Flem? The reason Shackell hasn''t been given a chance is because ...[/quote]

"Shackell hasn''t got the experience to organise a Prem defence."

Earlier in the season when Shacks and Doc were playing in central defence for the reserves, it was Shacks who was ordering and bossing the Doc about!

I say give him a chance, but as we know, Worthy knows best, after all he sees him training every day.