Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Hooters

It's the wingers

I thought Kei and Wes today we''re brilliant, I don''t think its the forwards we should be worrying about!! It''s poor delivery and effectiveness of our wingers. Snodgrass is pretty predictable with his movement when he plays on either wing, his delivery is rarely good. Bennett was almost non-existent. It doesn''t help with the fact that they have to track back to help defend and when we try and counter its very poor. But is it down to the tactics and the game plan, I''m not sure. If we stay up, I think for us to be more successful next season we have to spend big on some wingers. What does everyone else think??

We need to spend big in some whingers to get some reality on here.

I think it is down to the tactics, yes. Most of the time when they receive the ball they have very few options. Whittaker and Snodgrass had an excellent partnership during our "run" and Garrido & Pilks also had a decent understanding before Garrido''s dip in form at Christmas.

Since then our full backs rarely overlap giving the opposition full back (and sometimes midfielder too) a much easier job of dealing with our wide man. If they do manage to beat the fullback then quite often there''s just 1 player in the box being marked by 3 defenders.

The whole approach in the final 1/3rd needs a radical overhaul. 1 extremely fortunate win in 15 games is relegation form, like it or not, and if you''re not worried you should be. We need to start playing without fear again, because quite honestlyl at present the fear of losing is crippling us.

We miss Pilks, Benno isn''t playing well and Snoddy is ineffective on the left.

But, we have nobody else to pick. Surman out injured, and Kei doesn''t seem to be a natural winger in any respect.

Besides, even with Pilks and Snoddy on song, we still struggled at the best of times in recent weeks.

[quote user="Yellow Hooters"]Do you actually have an opinion on the subject??[/quote]

Certainly. Despite seeming to be a fans favourite Benno is poor, he is often a spectator and lacks confidence to use his pace or take a shot. I was at Spurs last season when he seemed to come of age, his confidence grew and if he had a supportive motivational forward thinking manager at think he would have developed his game going forward. Unfortunately for him we have a manager who seems unable to inspire and lacks the ability to develop our young forwards.

In the second half they kept coming inside and deeper to pick up the ball isolating a shattered kk who after 60mins was flat out.

I think snoddy is great but Benno is a player I have wanted to do so well, but he has not moved on at all. Nothing to do with Hughton but I do think eb has not moved on. If we can just get over the finish line we can wait for new quality signings

The wingers havent been great with their delivery this season but our lack of getting anyone about our centre forwards or decent overlaps from fullback to create space makes every cross need to be pinpoint. If we stay up this season we are going to need to sign some world class attacking players in for next season if staying solid is always going to be number one priority regardless of the situation and us look a goal threat at the same time.

Recently Snodgrass has got back into the bad habit of holding on to the ball too long. It was something he did a bit at the start of the season and then cut from his game but it has returned.

He''s wasted a few good opportunities just because he wants an extra touch or two. Even if he ends up putting a ball in at the end of it he has given the opposition the chance to get themselves a bit more sorted.

It was something he was prone to doing during his Leeds days too.

I''m sorry but thought Kamara was poor and this myth about Wes being this fantastic playmaker is really bugging me... Granted he had a decent start to the season, but for all the plaudits I cant remember many times where he has dominated the opposition and ''Created'' chances for our forwards, certainly since Christmas. He dwells on the ball, is not strong enough and his decision making is woeful. Yesterday he was caught in possession many times, then when we need him to hold it in the centre of the park, an awful flick sets up their goal.

Maybe someone can blind me with stats about his assists, etc., but to my naked eye playing through him makes it easy for the opposition, they just get tight and he loses the ball. And his skilful turns are always done 20 yards too deep.

Kamara looked like Bambi on ice for most part made some decent runs but compare his movement to Kone and lets be honest who looked the biggest threat? A radical re think is needed in our front 6 positions, all of midfield and up top if we are going to establish ourselves in this league.

I am sure we will crawl over the line though, lets hope Hughton has a master plan or I cant see him surviving more than 10 games next season...

The quality of crosses yesterday was shocking.

I agree completely AJ - pilks is essential and he delivers in keeping possession and getting in at least one quality cross a game.

Snodgrass is wasted on the left - why hamper ourselves with two ineffective wingers to accomodate Bennett - let him play left so we can get the most of out of snodgrass.

We will strengthen in the summer - and with reading qpr and sunderland looking worse than us we should still be fine.

Tettey and Bunn back next week will make a big difference - but stick benno on the left as I dont thnk pilks will be fit yet.

The "problem" could be solved next match, if Pilks is back, and Snoddy reverts to the right, which he seems to prefer.

If the midfield is so lacking increativity, why not put Whittaker on the right of centre? He is a defender by experience, but enjoys getting forward and crossing. He has played there before.

The principal must surely be to use players in form, and then choose the formation, not the other way round. We seem to have the policy of choosing Wes + one up front, with wingers, so then we must choose defensive midifielders, but Johno and Tettey have produced little creativity.