Sign in to follow this  
FCC

Wigan - View from Seat U57

Sharing my thoughts on today - as therapy before the Jack Daniels kicks in.

Team Selection - I thought it appeared a reasonable enough decision to let the lads who did well at Sunderland carry on.

Substitutions - Too late.  I thought we were comfortable most of the game, but after 65 minutes we needed fresh legs, especially in midfield.  I would have tried Tettey for Bennett and pushed Howson wide - which is probably why I was sat in the stands and not the dugout.

Players - thought Camp could have done better with the goal.  (Just heard Robbie Savage say the same on 606)  Garrido, Bassong, Turner played well again.  Martin I thought was exceptional - and had to be as Bennett was hugely dissapointing.  Bennett has pace, but at present seldom beats a man or puts in a decent cross.  Shooting is not good either, and he seldom seems to put a tackle in.

I thought Snodgrass was busy and a threat, Johnson and Howson were good in midfield and Hoolahan worked hard and looked our best bet to create something.  Kamara won a lot in the air, but didn''t convince me today.

Tactics - A point would not have been a bad result today, so the goal was a real sickener.  I''m not convinced 4-5-1 was the wrong formation, but we needed more of a threat from midfield.  Howson doesn''t seem to shoot for us, he banged them in for Leeds - and from distance, but never lets fly for us. 

Support - I thought there was a better unity from the support at Sunderland than from double the number today.  Must admit I had a bit of that last day of the season at Fulham or Charlton feeling today, so perhaps everyone was a bit jittery.  Glad we have some games left.

Rest of the Season - in all honesty, until we couldn''t mathematically go down we were always in a relegation fight.  I think we feel it worse than most because we feel as if we are being dragged into it, rather than having any momentum.  As things get trickier hopefully the support will become louder and the players efforts greater.  

I think the team needs freshening up.  Hopefully Ruddy will be back soon.  I think it may be time to give Becchio a couple of games, see if he can build an understanding with Hoolahan.  Maybe see if Butterfield can create a buzz.

I''m sure in the past many of us went to Fulham and Charlton with a feint glimmer of hope on the last day of the season - I think we can leave the glimmer behind if we need anything from the City of Manchester Stadium. 

For 75 mins we were the better side, Wigan had a couple of near misses, but we were in charge. Nothing great, but still, not bad. The goal for them has sent everyone loopy.

Good post and I can''t find anything there I disagree with really.

Agree with the comments regarding Sunderland - thought the atmosphere was lacking comparison.

We were right behind the net today I also tend to agree that Camp might have done better but it was a viscious shot.

Once again we lacked ideas in the final third and, frankly, created very little.

My views are known - I think we''ve been asking for trouble at least since the Newcastle game. I''m still hoping we manage to get to 38 points but this was a game we never looked like winning.

Come the must win Reading match we may well be in the bottom three.

Not so, look at the set pieces we had today, one of the areas that have been good for us to get goals,,they were cr@p.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Nah, that would be boring. What would we moan about?[/quote]

havent you gone yet? without crying this time

[quote user="Gingerpele"]What are you on about?[/quote]

You called me a prat in an earlier thread, when are you coming to meet me to call me that.

Much better if you just disappeared again like you did before, crying that everyone was against you. Why did you return

When I am coming to meet you? Whenever you like... Sorry Mr. Big man.

And I wasn''t crying everyone was against me at all, but why let facts get in the way of yet another extremely misguided opinion... I never really left, I just felt like moaning about things on here. The funny thing is the day I posted that I was in a great mood, just felt like I shouldn''t really bother posting on here as there are far too many trolls who make simple pointless statements that are always negative with no intention of ever backing them up or actually engaging in a proper discussion about football. And over reactions after a Wigan goal is just annoying. Before than no one was saying we were crap today...

[quote user="city4eva"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]What are you on about?[/quote]

You called me a prat in an earlier thread, when are you coming to meet me to call me that.

Much better if you just disappeared again like you did before, crying that everyone was against you. Why did you return

[/quote]

I could think of a handful of other words I would use to describe your conduct on here today.

Man up and rather than respond by slagging someone off that is questioning your opinion, try and come up with some facts to bat back at them.

Good post

We were the better team for most of the game and maybe if we had taken it to them a bit earlier we would have bagged 3 points. They were there to be beaten and Hughton waited till 85 minutes to try.

I like Bennett but he hasn''t taken the chance, shame. On to Swansea, we always beat them!!

Agree with most of the op''s comment. Up to about 70 mins we looked pretty comfortable but then we seemed to tire and the game opened up in midfield. Wigan came on and the warning signs were there - header cleared off the line, a shot just wide and another shot from just outside the 6 yards box which was blocked. I was wishing Hughton would put on a couple of changes - Tettey would have been ideal to tighten things up, but holt on his own didn''t help us defensively.

So it was no surprise when the scored. Frustrating that Tettey came on then, why put on a DM? I''d rather have put on Becchio and keep Wes. As it was we did really threaten an equaliser.

Incredibly frustrating because Wigan were there for the taking and we should comfortably gave come away with a draw ,

Agree also on the comment about the away support- not up to our usual standard.

I have to agree. Must have been at least 3000 norwich fans at wigan yesterday but it was probably the worst away atmosphere I have experienced in years. Hardly any singing it was just like being in the N&P

It''s Character Forming wrote the following post at 31/03/2013 9:49 AM:

then we seemed to tire and the game opened up in midfield. Wigan came on and the warning signs were there - header cleared off the line, a shot just wide and another shot from just outside the 6 yards box which was blocked.

Agreed ICF - the warning signs were there from early on in the second half  and simply continued to grow and we did not respond to that or address our own failings until it was too late.

Kei put in an excellent shift but needed replacing 5-15 mins earlier (with two good strikers there is nothing wrong with the first running themselves into the ground in just over an hour).  

An emanuel petit type sat deep but not moving more than 15 yards would have controlled the second half for us yesterday by just moving the ball on.   If only we had a player in our squad who has played that role successfully... 

Indeed why put on a DM when we are 1 nil down to our relegation rivals, it makes no sense!

The difference between the two teams in the approach - was during the first half, Snodgrass was through on goal on his favored left foot and chose to try and turn the defender enabling the Wigan defence time to get back.

In the second half Kone was through on goal and took a shot which beat Camp.

Simply if you don''t buy a ticket you won''t win the raffle.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]For 75 mins we were the better side, Wigan had a couple of near misses, but we were in charge. Nothing great, but still, not bad. The goal for them has sent everyone loopy.

Good post and I can''t find anything there I disagree with really.[/quote]I thought it was about even until the 60th minute, then Wigan seemed to grasp the game, have all the play and created a few very good chances. It was crying out for a change from Hughton to try and wrest the mantle back.  In the end a like for like, with Holt belatedly arriving for Kei Kamara who looked knackered about 10-15 minutes earlier.  Immediately Wigan scored.  Hughton made some last gasp changes of Howson off for defensive midfielder Tettey, and Bechio on for Hoolahan.  Bennett lucky to not to be subbed after a particularly poor game.Wigan then went into defend mode and played out a relatively easy last 10 minutes as we were completely bereft of ideas.

We had a lot of tired legs on the pitch for last quarter. Left it far too late yet again to make subs. Even if he wasn''t going to change things to look to win the game, should still have brought Tettey in a lot earlier to nail it down, very very poor management ......again!

[quote user="Vanwink"]We had a lot of tired legs on the pitch for last quarter. Left it far too late yet again to make subs. Even if he wasn''t going to change things to look to win the game, should still have brought Tettey in a lot earlier to nail it down, very very poor management ......again![/quote]
Exactly our problem, with no rotation or early subs players are fatigued.We never suffered with fatigue like this,but we never stuck with basicly the same eleven week in week out in the past.
For me it''s bad management , but thats just my view.I thought we went there with the intention of getting a point and it failed.We were far to negative , as I feel we are most weeks.But fingers crossed we will stumble over the line and with the addition of a few more attacking faces for next season things will improve loads.

Yes, it wasn''t very pretty at the DW yesterday.Neither side were great shakes and I was surprised Wigan weren''t a bit more '' gung ho '' considering their desperate need for the points. Neither goalkeeper had much to do all game ( I can''t help wondering how the match stats regarding the number of shots taken are arrived at sometimes ). Camp should probably have done better with the goal but we never looked likely to score at all.Clearly the need to survive in the Premier League is paramount but it is frustrating to travel all the way to these games and see our stall set out so negatively from minute one with Hughton''s '' have what we hold '' philosophy. There wasn''t an awful lot for the large number of City fans behind the goal to get excited about to be honest so it was no surprise that things were so quiet. Assuming we get through this season - I think we will - then the manager really does need to adopt a more adventurous style if he wants to keep us fans happy.The day was at least livened up by the pre-match '' get together '' with Delia & Co at The Orwell but even they managed to run out of ale.......