Sign in to follow this  
shropshire canary

What did Saturday Teach Us?

Over and above the team spirit/will to win bit which we all knew (not thatI''m taking it for granted), the fact that 433 doesn''t work and 442 with Hucks in midfield doesn''t either (just look at the more solid performance 4 days earlier for evidence), and that taking your chances is what ultimately wins games, the main thing to take out of Saturdays performance is that IF (please note before I''m pounced on for being defeatist) we are relegated then we still have what it takes to win the cut and thrust games that make up the Championship because that is what the game really looked like on Saturday - much more akin to last seasons matches.

We''ll be ok "if" we go down. We''ll be stronger than when we won the league last season and have a lethal attack in Hucks & Ashton.

The key will be to replace Francis (who will leave for devent money) and bring in a few players for the future, ideally in defence. I think that we really miss the settled defence from last year. We''d need to build a back 4 for a new assault on the Prem in 06/07. 

''If'' we go down (and there are many twists and turns yet) I want to pushing for a prem assault in 05/06 not 06/07. Druy, Eddy and Flem despite their faults this season are all proven at championship level and charlie and Doc should be ok too.    Defensive strengthening is needed when we next start a prem season.

OTBC  

Our defence is going to be a problem, period

When you look at the ages of Eddy; Helveg; Flem and Charlton we have a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.

Furthermore, we did not replace Malkay''s leadership and organisational abilities.  There were times on Saturday when Flem was only marking space and Doc didn''t know who to pick up. It was only only in the dieing minutes that Flem imposed his authority on Doc and "told" him who to mark.

So, no matter what league we are in next year a big rebuild of the defence will be required.

Oh, and if we stay up, at least another forward. Much as I admire Leon''s enthusiasm and work rate he just doesn''t have sufficient skill (first touch in particular) for the Premiership.

I have a feeling that Helveg will be one of those players who keeps going a long, long time. Like Nigel Winterburm or Stuart Pearec, both were going strong into their late 30s. The key is that Helveg comes good for us. I do think he will.

Otherwise though I''m sure that Charlton, eddy and Flem can do a job for us next season but I''d rather see us building for the future next season whatever happens.

I also think that Svensson may be lured by the delights of his home town club here in Sweden who''re just moving into a new ground etc. etc. Though should we go down Ashton, Hucks, McKenzie plus Hendo, Crow and Jarvis is good enough to fire us back up - if we have the defensive solidity to back them up.