Sign in to follow this  
Ivan Easter

Its Simple

Score goals and we stay up, so lads get out there and do it where is that old fighting spirit we used to have. At one time when we used to concede the first goal it wasn''t long before we replied, that does not seem to happen now and the fact that John Ruddy has been out (which was a blow) should not have stopped you scoring. Go do it we stay up if not our goal difference will come to haunt us.

No it''s not.

If the opposition score one more than you, then you''ve lost.

At this point keeping clean sheets for the last 7 games would be good enough. And, at this point, that''s all that matters.

[quote user="ron obvious"]No it''s not. If the opposition score one more than you, then you''ve lost. At this point keeping clean sheets for the last 7 games would be good enough. And, at this point, that''s all that matters.[/quote]

We are not going to keep clean sheets in all our last seven games i guarantee it. so we are going to have to win a couple of matches, I do however feel that with the home games left we should have enough to get over the line.

cant see us keeping clean sheets against Arsenal or Man City so yes we have to score goals but obviously win. Its ok keeping clean sheets providing teams under us don''t keep winning I only hope that we get to safety before the last game.

Losing Ruddy and even Whittaker was quite gutting.

1 win in next couple games would do it and relieve all that pressure. Start on fire against the Swans like we did last time and it''ll all look much rosier.

Get that fire in the belly again and our home crowd singing their hearts out

We created little if anything yesterday, against a team with what was before they played us the joint worst home record in the PL. Every other team has managed to score at the DW this season. Our lack of urgency and positivity was always going to catch up with us. Unfortunately, like so many of our previous top flight campaigns, it ooks set to finish in disappointment, frustration and, ultimately, relegation.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]We created little if anything yesterday, against a team with what was before they played us the joint worst home record in the PL. Every other team has managed to score at the DW this season. Our lack of urgency and positivity was always going to catch up with us. Unfortunately, like so many of our previous top flight campaigns, it ooks set to finish in disappointment, frustration and, ultimately, relegation.[/quote]

Yeah certainly does doesn''t it? May as well give up on the remaining 7 games and tell the players etc to do the same..but then you probably think they have already right?

"You''re in 14th place lads and only 4 points clear so you may as well give up and sh*t your pants like I have..nah don''t bother honestly it''s the end so just go put your feet up..no, no really don''t come to training we''ll just call it off until pre-season for the Championship..what do you mean Harry is still fighting with QPR and so are the other 5 teams below us? They''re just pretending boys, I wouldn''t do that with you, I like to talk straight and say it how it is..you know me..always the truth...we''re basically fu*ked lads so just let it go and you''ll feel much, much better''

At least Highland will be happy if we go down. He can bring out all the ''I told you so'' posts with a big smile. Well done mate, glad we have fans on board like you.

Highland''s a legend! 16/1 to be relegated with Bet365 if I was him I''d put my house on it. Secure for life much preferable to a few "I told you sos". What odds did you get in ''95 Highland[:^)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Highland''s a legend! 16/1 to be relegated with Bet365 if I was him I''d put my house on it. Secure for life much preferable to a few "I told you sos". What odds did you get in ''95 Highland[:^)]

[/quote]It''s a waste of time arguing with him, he is happier wallowing in misery. Seven games left, four at home and five points more than enough for safety.16-1 to go down, I wonder if he''s on.

Taking Snodgrass out of the equation (although it does appear that playing him on the left has blunted his attacking threat), the other five midfielders/attackers that started yesterday''s game have scored FIVE goals between them this season in the PL.

Looking at it realistically, were we ever going to score a goal yesterday, let alone two, should we fall behind?

Holt, although much less effective this season, proved himself last season. Becchio was a man in form in 2012, but merely seems to have been a panic buy, whom Hughton has little faith in.

Having reached half-time at 0-0, and knowing that a win against Wigan would have all but sealed Premiership football next season, Hughton proved that he doesn''t have it in his make-up to mix things up a bit.

Holt and Becchio up front would surely have asked more questions of the Wigan defence? They usually play with three at the back, I''m guessing this was the case yesterday.

Let''s not ignore the fact that Wigan, by the admission of their management and fans, didn''t play well. That makes yesterday''s result even harder to swallow.

Agreed about Snodgrass. But I''ve been saying that for ages, Why move him??

However the fact Wigan didn''t play well is not another stick to beat Hughton with. The fact Wigan didn''t play well is because we stopped them. Which is a plus for Hughton. He is tactically smart like that. It''s not just Man Utd he stops playing well. Unfortunately it''s no use blunting the opposition if you''re not sharp enough to hurt them in return.

What annoys me is that with 20 mins Togo yesterday we looked weaker defensively than when we''d played with 10 men against Sunderland

Realistically Sunderland are in worse trouble. But what''s annoying is that we could easily be safe after yesterday, instead we''re now one of a group any of whom could be caught by the team in 18th

''Blunting the opposition'' is not a managerial skill wrapped up in mystery and mythology. Managerial dinosaurs like Pulis and Allardyce succeed in doing that week in week out.

It is having the nous to win games, impose your team on the opposition or change things when a particular style or formation can be deemed to not be succeeding.

Although I am not advocating a change of manager, Hughton has singularly failed miserably, over the past few months,as far as the above paragraph is concerned.

Throwing caution to the wind clearly doesn''t sit comfortably on his shoulders, but then slipping slowly, unerringly and impotently into the relegation dogfight doesn''t sit comfortably on the shoulders of a growing number of disenchanted supporters.

But just suppose that with 20 minutes left Hughton had brought on Holt and Becchio for Kamara and Bennett, gone 442 and we''d lost.

He would now be slated on here for taking unnecessary risks and losing us a point

He really is damned if does and damned if he doesn''t.

But just suppose that with 20 minutes left Hughton had brought on Holt and Becchio for Kamara and Bennett, gone 442 and we''d won...........

[quote user="unique"]''Blunting the opposition'' is not a managerial skill wrapped up in mystery and mythology. Managerial dinosaurs like Pulis and Allardyce succeed in doing that week in week out. .[/quote]

So are our expectations now beyond those of Stoke and West Ham? What logical reasons can you give me for this? Do we have more money than them? Or will better players come to us for less money? What is it that makes us a better bet in the Premier League than Stoke and West Ham. I''m genuinely interested Unique.

I think the OP is right, we do need to start scoring and winning games, whilst I think 7 draws would be enough to see us safe, realistically there are at least three games where we ill probably not get any points (Man City and Arsenal away and Villa at home). Originally I thought that 39 points would be enough to keep us up, I am not so sure now, my gut feeling is we need 7 points from our last 7 games, which means we have to win a couple, which means we have to start scoring....

I would also say that my personal view is that the last relegation spot is perm one from any of City, Stoke, Sunderland, Newcastle, Villa and Wigan and that it may come down to goal difference, so again wins and goals please.....

"The fact Wigan didn''t play well is because we stopped them. Which is a plus for Hughton. He is tactically smart like that."

The fact that Norwich didn''t play well (or let''s just say - didn''t muster a meaningful shot on target) is because a struggling Wigan side stopped them. Which is a plus for Martinez. He must be tactically smarter than Hughton........as Wigan took the points......

Well he could be Unique. I do seriously rate him above managers at some of the more fashionable clubs. I also think we''d do well to spend as many consecutive seasons in the prem as Wigan have.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]But just suppose that with 20 minutes left Hughton had brought on Holt and Becchio for Kamara and Bennett, gone 442 and we''d lost.

He would now be slated on here for taking unnecessary risks and losing us a point

He really is damned if does and damned if he doesn''t.[/quote]He didn''t.  And we lost.  And he does not make changes to the formation unless we are losing.No wonder we considered Lambert a master tactician at times because he was willing to change things if the game was not going well.  And for particular games.  The 4-4-2 against Newcastle when they had central defensive problems being a good example of a starting lineup.  And the match winning switch at half time against Swansea with Elliot Bennett moving central behind the strikers.

My reason for disagreement with the OP has just been perfectly demonstrated by Aston Villa.

I do not realistically expect us to keep 7 clean sheets, any more than I realistically expect us not to score again (which is what the OP seems to be suggesting). I would realistically expect us to win at least one more game, quite probably when least expected.

Reading the OP seems to suggest we seldom lost games last season, unfailingly managing to equalise, & more, against all opposition. I don''t remember it quite like that, & our final League position suggests it wasn''t.

Incidentally, who else thinks Bunn would have saved that goal yesterday? I don''t think losing Ruddy has been as big a blow as I first feared.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]We created little if anything yesterday, against a team with what was before they played us the joint worst home record in the PL. Every other team has managed to score at the DW this season. Our lack of urgency and positivity was always going to catch up with us. Unfortunately, like so many of our previous top flight campaigns, it ooks set to finish in disappointment, frustration and, ultimately, relegation.[/quote]Why do I always think of Ken Dodd singing " Happiness " when I read Highland Canary''s posts ?( He probably prefers Talking Heads " Road To Nowhere " )