Sign in to follow this  
ARCHIEGEMMELL

Holt's Longevity

Why do the masses on here have this misguided loyalty and affiliation  with the so called talisman at this level?  Now...even I was an admirer and fan in the lower leagues and will always be heavily indebted as a fan for his attributes and contributions to the Norwich City cause. He probably is the main reason why we are in this league but for me that is where the loyalty ends..and please don''t misquote!  This club is  a business and should be run as such...there is no room for sentiment! Quite clearly he is not of Premiership oak and that has been evident this season...and the reason why Hughton has brought in Van Winkle!  We need to kick on and bring in better quality players in order to achieve the status we are after...and there is a lot of dead wood which needs to be cut adrift! Players who are just not up to it.  We are now at a juncture and a critical moment in this clubs ability to compete financially with the elite and if we are lucky enough to survive this season and I mean (IF)...then we should be able to consolidate and become established in this affluent league with a better kind of player!

For me there are only two scenarios that holt will leave

1. when we have 4 better strikers at the club or

2. grant wants to move on.

1 is more likely to happen right now - but as he is at worst our 2nd best striker (Kei currently rightly keeping him out on form at the mo,  but that can change in a game or so) so why would we change him??   Even when RvW lives up to his hype there is only one better striker and one equivalent.   No longer a guaranteed starter - but it would show how far we have improved if holt is our 4th best striker next season - for me that is progress and something to be proud of.

[quote user="Scooby"]15 goals......... Muppet.[/quote]WHAT this season....oh my God! A player this prolific are problems of survival  have just been eradicated.  ''One Swallow does not make a summer''...you Muppet!!

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

For me there are only two scenarios that holt will leave

1. when we have 4 better strikers at the club or

2. grant wants to move on.

1 is more likely to happen right now - but as he is at worst our 2nd best striker (Kei currently rightly keeping him out on form at the mo,  but that can change in a game or so) so why would we change him??   Even when RvW lives up to his hype there is only one better striker and one equivalent.   No longer a guaranteed starter - but it would show how far we have improved if holt is our 4th best striker next season - for me that is progress and something to be proud of.

[/quote]...fair point.

Excellent for 3 seasons in 3 divisions. very ordinary this season and he has not helped matters letting his fitness levels drop a bit. Everyone can see he has put on weight and lost a yard of pace. That said he will have a role to play next season regardless of which divisionweare in, but it may be his last

Holt is not visibly fit compared to last season. Seems to have put on weight and his overall game has also suffered, partly due to Hughton''s somewhat negative tactics.

I''d be surprised to see him next season and he lacks motivation. A man who knows his best days are were in the past, and that must be a hard thing for a footballer to accept.

[quote user="ARCHIEGEMMELL"][quote user="Scooby"]15 goals......... Muppet.[/quote]WHAT this season....oh my God! A player this prolific are problems of survival  have just been eradicated.  ''One Swallow does not make a summer''...you Muppet!![/quote]

Oh dear, oh dear. It appears that you are perhaps the only one who is not aware that is the system not the player. But then your knowledge of football has always seemed limited. Holt has been banging them in regularly at EVERY level he has played at until know. Hardly one Swallow.

[quote user="basil brush"]Holt is not visibly fit compared to last season. Seems to have put on weight and his overall game has also suffered, partly due to Hughton''s somewhat negative tactics.

I''d be surprised to see him next season and he lacks motivation. A man who knows his best days are were in the past, and that must be a hard thing for a footballer to accept.[/quote]

Oh god, another one. You know him personally do you? Of course, you are acutely aware of what his motivation may or may not be.

Christ Scooby, you couldn''t be any more in denial. Holt is fading, and we need a new hero. Thank you, but goodnight. That kind of thing, time to move on.

I can''t believe what I''m reading today.    Now it is quite clear that people see what they want to see and like a scapegoat and Holt is always a target. To some he has never been good enough and he has always proved them wrong.   I''m not saying he''s going to get any better and his form/fitness may drop over the next two or three years, but the evidence is clear, the midfield are not providing the service to the front man.   Blame Holt if you have to, but at least appreciate that it may not be his fault that he has not scored so many goals this season.    He''s played up front mostly on his own and covers a lot of ground every game.   Also, he is not overweight.   How many times does it need to be said?   He is a big man with a big frame.  Get used to it.    Most of what is said about him is complete rubbish.   I wish some of you would think for yourselves and not be swayed by popular misconceptions.  Watch him properly each game and you will see a man playing his heart out for the cause, doing his best on limited service and still influential as a front man.  For pity sake look at the matches properly!!!   The midfield are not working well enough as a unit to provide enough chances for him to find his goal scoring form.   RVP, let alone RVW would struggle to score with the service the front men are getting.  The frustration of watching Snodgrass dithering on the ball, the frustration of waiting for Pilkington to do something, watching Hoolahan run around in ever decreasing circles, Bennett not going past his man, Johnson not passing accurately - basically none of them putting in decent balls or crosses - that is where the problem is.  Holt scores goals for fun, but not if he isn''t given the ball.   Now get off his back.

Holt has still done a decent job for the team this season in different circumstances and has been our most influential forward. He still has had more influence on the season than Morison, now gone, Chris Martin about to go, Jackson, little impact, Kane panic buy, Becchio done little so far and Kamaras come too late in the season to have done more than Holt over the course of a season. This is not blind loyalty, just facts!

Only in recent weeks has his performance levels dropped, I suspect because of his dislike of the Hughton style of play!

Next season we have to kick on and improve the squad which we are already doing but I think Holt can still play a part and will be a ruddy good back up striker at least cause people who go on about getting rid of players forget we still need a squad!

According to Ha'' ya got a loight boy?

"Holt scores goals for fun, but not if he isn''t given the ball".

My response is, if he scores for fun, then I wish Holt would have a bit more fun! Unfortunately, he has been given the ball - one on the penalty spot and one gifted to him by Whittaker - obviously neither of these were "fun days"

He then goes on to say:

"Now it is quite clear that people see what they want to see and like a scapegoat and Holt is always a target. To some he has never been good enough and he has always proved them wrong.   I''m not saying he''s going to get any better and his form/fitness may drop over the next two or three years, but the evidence is clear, the midfield are not providing the service to the front man.   Blame Holt if you have to, but at least appreciate that it may not be his fault that he has not scored so many goals this season.    He''s played up front mostly on his own and covers a lot of ground every game.   Also, he is not overweight.   How many times does it need to be said?   He is a big man with a big frame.  Get used to it.    Most of what is said about him is complete rubbish.   I wish some of you would think for yourselves and not be swayed by popular misconceptions."

If one ACTUALLY reads what people are saying, it is that Holt has been magic for this club for 3 years. Unfortunately for the Holt adoration society, goalscorers need to consistently score goals - season after season. He did it for us on 3 successive seasons but, like it or not, one cannot rely on past successes. He has been found wanting and is not upto the job. If he REALLY was up for it, do you think he would allow the "big boned" argument to prevail? Mothers of overweight children use the excuse that "they are big boned"! (I''m also big boned - but am willing to concede that my size is not purely down to the size of my bones!)

I think the problem you are struggling with is that people are thinking for themselves and are voicing aloud what was unthinkable a few months ago - that unfortunately GH is not up to the job. I would be delighted if he could turn it around, as would every other fan, but the powers that be are not prepared to take that gamble - hence the bank breaking fee for RVW

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="ARCHIEGEMMELL"][quote user="Scooby"]15 goals......... Muppet.[/quote]WHAT this season....oh my God! A player this prolific are problems of survival  have just been eradicated.  ''One Swallow does not make a summer''...you Muppet!![/quote]

Oh dear, oh dear. It appears that you are perhaps the only one who is not aware that is the system not the player. But then your knowledge of football has always seemed limited. Holt has been banging them in regularly at EVERY level he has played at until know. Hardly one Swallow.[/quote]Scoob...''My knowledge of football seems limited''...you know me personally then??? What''s Hughton asking him to do?...Play in a straitjacket wearing clown shoes?  You have just answered my point...''Holt has been banging them in regularly at EVERY level he has played at until now''...I will correct your spelling.  We don''t care how prolific he was in the lower leagues or even last season...by the way 15 goals is not a colossal amount for an in form Premiership(world class) striker...is it? Past exploits are not going to keep us in this league..are they?   Try reading and understanding what I type before you pass comment...

Well done for missing the point entirely ABC.     The point is that to be in good form you need to have the ball enough to take chances.  One or two shots in a match isn''t enough to maintain form.     And the main point I am making is that the midfield don''t deliver the ball enough to him to allow him to miss the odd chance and score occasionally.    So the midfield are just as much to blame.  

Doesnt make any difference if we have Holt, Pele, Ronaldo, Messi or Roy Cropper up front, if we dont get the ball to him, he cant score.