Sign in to follow this  
CDMullins

Time To Play Snodgrass......

On the left?It baffled me early season that we played Snoddy on the Right, I pressume CH wants him to cut inside and shoot, unfortunaley (and as much as I really like him) hes not good enough/ fast enough to beat Premier League defenders then get a good shot in.Also the crosses he gets in from the right are always with his left foot, meaning he loses them vital seconds checking back, allowing defenders to postion themselves.I think we would be far more productive playing him on the left and crossing early to HoltyIts not a dig at Snoddy at all, but I think the part of the reason Holtys been quiet on the goal front his because we are limited to crossing from the left and left only.

When played on the right, he always tries to cut in onto his left foot. doesn''t work. When he plays on the left he can get crosses in 1st time, but still decides to cut in onto his right. He also slows the tempo of the game down. Just dont play him.

Time to put him back on the right where he''s far more effective and can put dangerous balls in from either outside or inside the fullback.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Time to put him back on the right where he''s far more effective and can put dangerous balls in from either outside or inside the fullback.

[/quote]

I disagree.  Snodgrass, who likes to dominate the play, can be

less helpful with the speed of the attack, as he tends to slow down the

play.   Also, he is supposed to be left footed so he should be able to play on the left.  He and Hoolahan on top form can make the team look very good, but if

either or both of them of them is in dithering mood, then the teamwork

suffers.  Would like to see Bennett and Whittaker on the right, with Tettey in the team and Kamara up front.   Then there would be room for one slightly slower player like Snodgrass.    I feel that with Holt and Snodgrass in the team the team lacks pace.

He looks more effective on the right that is for sure. Today he had a great chance to cross the ball and he cut it back onto his right boot?  Sadly E Bennett has not impressed given a chance on the right.Tough decisions for Hughton if Pilks is not fit for Swansea, with Surman out for the season.  I think Snod should play on the right, but Benno looks like a fish out of water on the left.  Perhaps time to give Kei a run on the left, he has played the position for his previous clubs.

People really make me laugh - do half of you even support the club?

Snoddy has played wide left for the past two games, and has been far, far ineffective compared to his usual self down the right. This is because he is limited to his left foot, he LIKES to cut inside and catch defenders off their guard. Against Wigan he essentially got marked out the game as they kept pushing him out to the left.

Problem is, we can''t shift him back over to the right as poor Benno is in poor form, and seems useless down the left, whereas at least down the right he can whip a few crosses in. We miss Pilks badly

[quote user="I am a Banana"]When played on the right, he always tries to cut in onto his left foot. doesn''t work. When he plays on the left he can get crosses in 1st time, but still decides to cut in onto his right. He also slows the tempo of the game down. Just dont play him.[/quote]Yeah. Good idea. Don''t play our best attacking player. The one most likely to create a chance, cross the ball, or score. Statistics back this up.Cutting in on his left doesn''t work? That''s funny, it''s worked for most of the fucking season.Jesus fucking christ actually i don''t mean to go on a rant but how insanely thick can some people be? I try and be tolerant and understand some individuals aren''t as gifted as others, some will have opinions which will seem absolutely crazy but i should still respect them but i genuinely cannot comprehend the level of stupidity in your post.It''s late and im tired so if it appears that i''m coming across slightly negatively, go fuck yourself.

Good shout CJF, wouldn''t mind seeing KK down the left - my only worry is he isn''t defensive enough to play there

I''ve always had mixed feelings about Snodgrass.

On one hand he can take a great free kick and has produced lots of end product but on the other hand hes also frustrating with his lack of pace alays a handicap that slows up attacks and he isn''t direct enough with his passing and crossing!

Then again the rest of our attacking players have under produced this season!

It has to be drummed into them to more direct and quicker in the final 3rd and especially at home the fullbacks have to get involved in the atacks more, afterall we have the defensive midfielders to cover!

If kk was fit then I think you could play him out wide and I would. He could still be forward for crosses from the other side and could certainly challenge the full back with long balls moving the direction of our attack, becchio in the box ready for the ball in the box to pounce.

Kk was knackered ten minutes into the second half against Wigan, his production dropped so so much, so his match fitness is still well off and he has been here for 2 months so that is a worry for his long term desire for his move.

But I would happily play snoddy back on the right eb has shown that he is far from a premiership player, last season we all gave him time, his one goal was very late in the season and it did not disguise what was a slow season.

I could see snoddy and kk out wide.for the next few games if kk was fit enough.

Snodgrass prefers to play right-mid, his best performances and our best have come when he''s played right mid. As AJ has said, he''s been played on the left since Bennet''s been in and he''s been almost as ineffective as Elliot has himself!

Of course he prefers to play on the right. I should imagine he was bought to play on the right. He is certainly two footed and can put in dangerous balls with his right as well as his left but his style of play makes him most effective on the right. To move him to accomodate a player who might make an impact on the right compromises two positions.

Of course he prefers to play on the right. I should imagine he was bought to play on the right. He is certainly two footed and can put in dangerous balls with his right as well as his left but his style of play makes him most effective on the right. To move him to accomodate a player who might make an impact on the right compromises two positions.

[/quote]If Pilks is still injured, how would you line up the attackers?

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

If Pilks is still injured, how would you line up the attackers?
[/quote]

If Pilks is still injured I would play his replacement in his position rather than compromise two positions. What would you do?

Sorry to butt in, but how about Whittaker on the left? Didn''t he come on recently (can''t remember which game) & had a terrific run & cross which probably should have been converted? Snoddy on the right & KK as the striker (Wes supporting).

[quote user="nutty nigel"]If Pilks is still injured I would play his replacement in his position rather than compromise two positions. What would you do?[/quote]So who would you pick.  I mean, I agree with Hughton for trying Snodgrass on the left and Bennett on the right, given Bennett''s dire performaces on the left wing.  Sadly Bennett looks completely off the pace even in his natural position on the right.So who would you pick?

when this first came out a few weeks ago, I said snoddy should not be played left. it makes no sense to put out best attacking player on his non-preferred side. 3 or 4 people from this thread mocked me for it, but look at the last 2 games, he has seemed almost absent.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="nutty nigel"]If Pilks is still injured I would play his replacement in his position rather than compromise two positions. What would you do?[/quote]

So who would you pick.  I mean, I agree with Hughton for trying Snodgrass on the left and Bennett on the right, given Bennett''s dire performaces on the left wing.  Sadly Bennett looks completely off the pace even in his natural position on the right.

So who would you pick?
[/quote]

Chicken head, I am too much of an old hand to fall for this. Regardless of who is picked I would play Snodgrass on the right which is the point of the thread. Who plays on the left makes no difference to my POV on this.

However, the two most likely candidates for the left spot are Bennett and HJoolahan. Of those two I''d play Bennett because, as with Snodgrass, to put Wes there would compromise two positions.

Who would you play left and right?

Chicken head, I am too much of an old hand to fall for this. Regardless of who is picked I would play Snodgrass on the right which is the point of the thread. Who plays on the left makes no difference to my POV on this.

However, the two most likely candidates for the left spot are Bennett and HJoolahan. Of those two I''d play Bennett because, as with Snodgrass, to put Wes there would compromise two positions.

[/quote]

Snodgrass Right, and perhaps Kei Kamara Left if his fitness is up to it, he played as a winger for most of his time in MLS.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Snodgrass Right, and perhaps Kei Kamara Left if his fitness is up to it, he played as a winger for most of his time in MLS.

[/quote]

Perhaps!! LOL

I''ve missed you [U]

KK hasn''t really played as a winger in MLS, more of an attacking wide forward. Think more Huckerby than Pilks

[quote user="AJ"]KK hasn''t really played as a winger in MLS, more of an attacking wide forward. Think more Huckerby than Pilks[/quote]Could be quite suited to our formation then.  We need the forward players to push up a little more and get in the box.

Reckon if we play KK as an extra attacker then we can''t play Wes from the start. That then means which of the two is the most effective sub and I''d guess that would be KK. I doubt we could ever have played Hucks and Wes in the same team. Well not unless we had two Gary Holts!!

Reckon if we play KK as an extra attacker then we can''t play Wes from the start. That then means which of the two is the most effective sub and I''d guess that would be KK. I doubt we could ever have played Hucks and Wes in the same team. Well not unless we had two Gary Holts!!

[/quote]

I wonder the same about Snodgrass and Wes.   I know in our unbeaten run they were both in there, but sometimes the midfield look like they are dithering.   Both Wes and Snod are guilty of this and it makes you wonder why.  Perhaps they are trying to be too clever, instead of just getting the ball into dangerous areas quickly.    Sometimes less tricks equals mor direct play.   Just a thought.

He has looked relatively innocuous on the left, whereas on the right he has often come in half way on the by-line and passed or crossed deep effectively with his right foot. If Bennett was playing well I would persevere with Snoddy on the left, but unfortunately...

What worried me against Wigan was his unwillingness to have a pop with his left foot when in a very good shooting position. This seems to betray a lack of confidence, or was he obeying the command "give it to Kei!"

Earlier on in the season was was possibly our most productive midfielder, with dead ball and in open play. He seems hesitant now.

[quote user="Ha ya got a loight boy"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I wonder the same about Snodgrass and Wes.   I know in our unbeaten run they were both in there, but sometimes the midfield look like they are dithering.   Both Wes and Snod are guilty of this and it makes you wonder why.  Perhaps they are trying to be too clever, instead of just getting the ball into dangerous areas quickly.    Sometimes less tricks equals mor direct play.   Just a thought.

[/quote]

Snodgrass is the first name on my team sheet Haya. Wes and Holty not far behind. But I don''t think they really dither. I think sometimes there''s a lack of options which is partly because of the way we play and partly because of the opposition.

I hope I soon feel differently. The fact that I believe Wes and Holty are automatic starters suggest to me that we haven''t improved those two positions for too long. Hopefully next season we will have better options. But they both will still have plenty to offer.

But I am convinced Snodgrass is the real deal at this level and we should certainly play him in his most effective position.