Sign in to follow this  
Since 1980

Di Canio appointed.................

Talk about taking a massive gamble!

Eerily similar to Wolves last year. Sack your experienced manager, whilst you hover outside the relegation zone, appoint an inexperienced one.

I can only see this ending in tears for the Mackems

Hughton every inch of the way.

Di Canio has done OKAY, but he''s not proven himself in any shape or form apart from in the lower leagues. A huge gamble, time will tell if it pays off - just look at QPR.

Calculated risk?

Throw the dice: 1-5 relegated. Maybe, just maybe, number 6 will come up?

It would seem that the power(s) that be seem more or less resigned to their fate because this is desperate stuff. It has been on the cards for some time apparently and it seems as if their performance against us finally tipped things against PL''s revered mentor.

Was O''Neill aware that he needed a result  against Man. Utd no less to keep his job?

A lot of Sunderland fans are concerned about DiCanio''s politics. Some are very agitated in this respect.

A lot feel that O''Neill should have been given more time, irrespective of this season''s outcome.

From our point of view, the Red Sea seems to have opened up allowing Hughton and his men a path to safety.

I wouldn''t want Di Canio as a long term manager. however, he has got a bit of grit and plenty of desire. Could do enough to keep them up.

Sadly I agree with Alan Shearer on MOTD, O''neil  should have left months ago, he does not look himself at all. I heard rumours he has personal problems...but I dont know. I''m great fan of his, but something has not been right for a while. Hats off to Sunderland for sticking by him, but I think it has cost them.

I think Di Canio is just the man, to boost things right now, to survive. Long term its a gamble, but all things considered, a good choice I think.

[quote user="Olly"]Talk about taking a massive gamble! Eerily similar to Wolves last year. Sack your experienced manager, whilst you hover outside the relegation zone, appoint an inexperienced one. I can only see this ending in tears for the Mackems[/quote]

Totally agree

As Lineker said on MOTD last night - history does not favour this type of gamble. To replace MoN at this stage of the game makes about as much sense as replacing Brian McDermott! Both Adkins and Di Canio are on a hiding to nothing!

An observation about Di Canio''s motivational skills - he didn''t really get our Chrissy working for him whilst it appears to be going well for him at Forest? If Di Canio needs to motivate a bunch of under-performing players.............

Finally, I think we ought to be thanking our "Friendship Trophy" opponents for so generously deciding to take the plunge into the Championship and thereby alleviating any worries that our "pampers wearing" community may still have [:D]

We all thought Southampton were mad when they sacked their manager and got an unknown from Spain, instead they have kicked on to good effect. I agree this is a gamble by Sunderland, there will be many clubs who hope it fails. It could either give themthe points they need or go and explode one of the 2

Just what we need hey,a fascist sympathiser who fights with his own players and argues with his chairman over everything.

"Somerset Canary".... the Mackems will be kicking themselves, not only have they lost O''Neill, but they''ve lost their contact with International Rescue.

Always thought his brother looked more like a thunderbird.

At least he has shown some principles. Sort of.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Di Canio appointedBent and Sessegnon will be ecstatic....[/quote]The same Bent that got sold to Villa? Why would he care?

Di Canio is not completely inexperienced as he did not do too bad at Swindon. Winning League Two and then leaving them top of League One while Swindon were on the verge of entering administration during this period.

He''s management style is definitely unorthodox, but it wouldn''t surprise me if he becomes a great manager. He has got the makeup of a Brian Clough type manager, but weather or not that will work in today''s game with it millionaire players only time will tell. He is either going to be a rousing success or a complete failure.

It is a risk, but you have to take risks sometimes, but it is not a complete uncalculated risk as he has been successful at Swindon. Unlike at Wolves last year where they appointed a manager who had no managerial experience what so ever.

If you remember, three years ago when we won League One, Swindon were in the play-offs anyway. Their performances dived the next season after Charlie Austin and Billy Paynter went. Di Canio just got them back to were they''d been.I''m hoping he''ll be a disaster. Paul Ince wasn''t great at Blackburn, and Darren Ferguson has struggled in the Championship. League One and Two are different because a well funded team can clean up.

[quote user="Icecream Snow"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]Di Canio appointedBent and Sessegnon will be ecstatic....[/quote]The same Bent that got sold to Villa? Why would he care?[/quote]my bad... not Bent.. Bramble! once a binner..!

ABC - Martin has never played for Forest. And he has currently, according to Wikipedia, only scored 1 in his last 6 games at Derby. He scored 1 in 12 at Swindon, so until he''s played 12 games let''s wait and see. I am also fairly sure that he did alright at Swindon and his bust up with Di Canio was with comments made towards the end of his loan spell was it not? 
The comparison with Reading is an interesting one, but at least Sunderland have installed a character. With only 7 games left if you need a bit of a miracle it makes far more sense to sack your manager and get someone completely different, a completely new character just to change the atmosphere. As I say, long term he may not have what it takes, but if anyone is going to change the atmosphere and maybe give them enough desire to stay up then Di Canio is as good a call as any at the moment. Swapping McDermott for Atkins though just seemed fairly like for like in terms of personalities. Adkins isn''t really a character, I''m sure he can motivate players, but has he got the personality to make an immediate impact in the space of a few games? 

[quote user="Highland Canary"]I see this as a boost to our survival hopes.[/quote]

Blimey Highland that''s remarkably positive for you.

I do not go along with most of the posters on this thread who seem to see this as the final nail in Sunderland''s coffin. I do not even see it as a gamble by the Sunderland board, I think they realised where they were heading and have given themselves one last, albeit desperate, chance to change their fate.

Who knows how a Di Canio team is going to shape and play. Certainly not the manager''s who will be facing his teams! So could give them the new manager bounce effect and pick up a few wins even in some of the tough fixtures they have.

Would not want him at Norwich though. Can understand Sunderland supporters railing against his politics.

[quote user="Aggy"]

ABC - Martin has never played for Forest. And he has currently, according to Wikipedia, only scored 1 in his last 6 games at Derby. He scored 1 in 12 at Swindon, so until he''s played 12 games let''s wait and see. I am also fairly sure that he did alright at Swindon and his bust up with Di Canio was with comments made towards the end of his loan spell was it not? 

The comparison with Reading is an interesting one, but at least Sunderland have installed a character. With only 7 games left if you need a bit of a miracle it makes far more sense to sack your manager and get someone completely different, a completely new character just to change the atmosphere. As I say, long term he may not have what it takes, but if anyone is going to change the atmosphere and maybe give them enough desire to stay up then Di Canio is as good a call as any at the moment. Swapping McDermott for Atkins though just seemed fairly like for like in terms of personalities. Adkins isn''t really a character, I''m sure he can motivate players, but has he got the personality to make an immediate impact in the space of a few games? 

[/quote]

Ooops - my mistake - I meant Derby not Forest for Chris Martin

I think under Di Canio''s tenure the relationship was pretty fractious - Di Canio only threw a wobbly at the end when CM said he didn''t want to move to them - interesting that CM maybe saw what was coming and PDC didn''t?

As for Sunderland installing a character - MoN was a character. Unless you have a run of potentially winnable games, it makes far more sense to stick with what you have rather than change. I don''t think that Sunderland have a run of winnable games!