Sign in to follow this  
Helsinki canary

1 win in 15 games

"It''s not that we''re letting ourselves slip henrik it''s that there are too many complacent old fools who seem to think that everything will be fine and that we are safe That attitude is what will lead us to the Championship.

We need a huge atmosphere on Saturday, a crowd inspired by the realisation that we need to get our team across the line, the complacent codgers need to get up off their back sides and sing their hearts out rather than living in a fantasy world of denial. Every game at home now must be treated as a cup final and we must cheer till the final whistle, whatever happens! "

As I posted on another thread Nigel ,that is what I say!

Still happy to hold the realist middle ground. Still think we''ll probably stay up but a little less confident now than I was at 1500 on Saturday. I do, however note that the patronising ''pant wetter''/''get off your knees'' comments are notable by their absence at the moment.

Far less complacency than there was but still some around!

Yes, less'' aggressive in yer face yer wussy binner, ''compacency'' but more ''we''re going to hell in a handcart make no mistake'' negativity. I dislike both, rather a lot.

[quote user="Vanwink"]If we carry on as we are and Sunderland start to play a bit getting over the line may not happen[/quote]

Nail on head time.[Y]

[quote user="Vanwink"]Far less complacency than there was but still some around![/quote]

"Complacent old fools"

Who would they be Vanwink?

Welcome to the Pinkun, the most negative place on earth.

A place where posters suffer huge delusions of grandeur, have no sense of perspective and are generally a bunch of ungrateful, miserable sods.

Wake up. On paper we have one of the worst squads in the league, it''s a miracle we are 2 points off 10th.

I find it remarkable that, given that we were in League 1 only 3 years ago- you''re all throwing your toys out of your prams because we have narrowly lost against an established Premier League side, or only drew against other Premier league team.

We have just signed Van Wolfswinkel. Yet you all still moan!

Even if we did go down we''d still rip up the Championship as we have a quality board who wont sell our best players.

Just relax and get behind the team. We will stay up.

[quote user="Josh"]Welcome to the Pinkun, the most negative place on earth. A place where posters suffer huge delusions of grandeur, have no sense of perspective and are generally a bunch of ungrateful, miserable sods. Wake up. On paper we have one of the worst squads in the league, it''s a miracle we are 2 points off 10th. I find it remarkable that, given that we were in League 1 only 3 years ago- you''re all throwing your toys out of your prams because we have narrowly lost against an established Premier League side, or only drew against other Premier league team. We have just signed Van Wolfswinkel. Yet you all still moan! Even if we did go down we''d still rip up the Championship as we have a quality board who wont sell our best players. Just relax and get behind the team. We will stay up.[/quote]

congratulations on the latest "look where we''ve come from" quote to date!!.......don''t think we can dine out on that one anymore?

Van Wolfswinkel is all very well but if we go down people will have every right to ask why any of that money wasn''t spent in January?

and congratulations for the latest sarcastic Pinkun reply. Perhaps people use the "look at how far we have come" quote for a reason. It''s true. We couldn''t have come much further in 3 years and it shows. Our squad is full of Championship quality players but people on here expect Premiership style performances from them week in week out and think we have a devine right to beat established Premiership sides. We stayed up last year on momentum and playing above our level. People need a sense of realism.

And yes people can question why the money wasn''t spent in January but it probably was available and we couldn''t get anyone.

We really should have gone that bit extra to get Rvw in january. Its less of a gamble to spend say 10 millio on a player then that will help keep us up than 8.5 million not knowing our Pl future is secure.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="crabbycanary"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]Thanks Foghorn I overstated the middle third but you show just how found out we were in the last third. There were just three good performances, Spurs and Arsenal away and Everton at home. Most of the rest were dire. Remember our hanging on desperately to best the awful Wolves? I am fed up with the myth that last season was some golden age that gave Hughton a great inheritance. We were a team in decline and Lambert knew it. He also knew his motivational skills could not work a fourth season with the same players. Let''s get over the line and see what else the summer brings I[/quote] Agreed[/quote]

you can break last season down into "thirds" all you like but the fact is we are well down on our points total this season compared to the same stage last........what other comparison can you make when comparing seasons?

Our final third , if you really do want to analyse it ,still contained a win a Spurs,a draw at Arsenal (do you think we''ll get one there in a fortnight?!) and a decent draw at home to Everton, could it also be that performances may have slightly tailed off because we knew we were safe? a luxury I doubt we''ll have this time around.

[/quote]

And this run includes a grea win against Everton, a very good draw with Spurs and the heroics of Sunderland. And yes, I can see more good performances and results this season.

quote user "JF" - We really should have gone that bit extra to get Rvw in january. Its less of a gamble to spend say 10 millio on a player then that will help keep us up than 8.5 million not knowing our Pl future is secure.

How do you know we didn''t try as hard as possible to get RVW in Jan? If Sporting Lisbon say no and you can only have him next season then there is not a lot we could have done

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="crabbycanary"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]Thanks Foghorn I overstated the middle third but you show just how found out we were in the last third. There were just three good performances, Spurs and Arsenal away and Everton at home. Most of the rest were dire. Remember our hanging on desperately to best the awful Wolves? I am fed up with the myth that last season was some golden age that gave Hughton a great inheritance. We were a team in decline and Lambert knew it. He also knew his motivational skills could not work a fourth season with the same players. Let''s get over the line and see what else the summer brings I[/quote] Agreed[/quote]

you can break last season down into "thirds" all you like but the fact is we are well down on our points total this season compared to the same stage last........what other comparison can you make when comparing seasons?

Our final third , if you really do want to analyse it ,still contained a win a Spurs,a draw at Arsenal (do you think we''ll get one there in a fortnight?!) and a decent draw at home to Everton, could it also be that performances may have slightly tailed off because we knew we were safe? a luxury I doubt we''ll have this time around.

[/quote] And this run includes a grea win against Everton, a very good draw with Spurs and the heroics of Sunderland. And yes, I can see more good performances and results this season.[/quote]

You''re not the only person to have seen the Spurs and Sunderland games Cambridge. For balance perhaps we could have the negative view of those two performances?

The spurs game was the last home game that we had a full strength side out and no coincidence that it was our last truly good performance (Sunderland were better for team spirit rather than quality of performance)  - something I have been asking for in an approach for some time.    That was 8 league games ago.

[quote user="JF"]We really should have gone that bit extra to get Rvw in january. Its less of a gamble to spend say 10 millio on a player then that will help keep us up than 8.5 million not knowing our Pl future is secure.[/quote]
Could we have got him for £10m. I read reports that Sporting Lisbon were holding out for the £18.5m euros that is the buy out clause in his contract. In that context the price we have now paid appears good business.
In the January window there seemed to be a lot of views that buy either him or Hooper and that would guarantee our survival and justify the price. Unfortunately no player brings a guarantee of survival!

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote] And this run includes a grea win against Everton, a very good draw with Spurs and the heroics of Sunderland. And yes, I can see more good performances and results this season.[/quote]

Spurs?!?....that was in January....hate to tell you this but it''s April now!?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

Everton, Spurs and Sunderland still got us 5 points. I hate to tell you that they weren''t deducted again this morning as some kind of April fools joke.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

Everton, Spurs and Sunderland still got us 5 points. I hate to tell you that they weren''t deducted again this morning as some kind of April fools joke.

[/quote]

well I''m not the one that as a hang up over dividing seasons into sub-sections......but for people who are,if they need to go as far back as Spurs (h) when recounting good "recent" performances.......it doesnt make for good reading, it doesn''t  support their argument when comparing with last season either?!

We have lost form and need to get it back quick before its too late. We do not need to sit back and reflect on past glories and assume all will be fine

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

well I''m not the one that as a hang up over dividing seasons into sub-sections......but for people who are,if they need to go as far back as Spurs (h) when recounting good "recent" performances.......it doesnt make for good reading, it doesn''t  support their argument when comparing with last season either?!

[/quote]

What is the title of this thread??  I think it''s 2 wins in 15 games to be fair. And that goes back as far as Wigan. But I didn''t start the thread. What would you like the thread title to be now that we''re in April?

[quote user="Sussexyellow"][quote user="JF"]We really should have gone that bit extra to get Rvw in january. Its less of a gamble to spend say 10 millio on a player then that will help keep us up than 8.5 million not knowing our Pl future is secure.[/quote]
Could we have got him for £10m. I read reports that Sporting Lisbon were holding out for the £18.5m euros that is the buy out clause in his contract. In that context the price we have now paid appears good business.
In the January window there seemed to be a lot of views that buy either him or Hooper and that would guarantee our survival and justify the price. Unfortunately no player brings a guarantee of survival!
[/quote]

i have a good friend who is a regular at benfica, says he cant believe we are spending that much money on van wolfswinkle, says he is hugely over rated and we are wasting our money

[quote user="technika"][quote user="Sussexyellow"][quote user="JF"]We really should have gone that bit extra to get Rvw in january. Its less of a gamble to spend say 10 millio on a player then that will help keep us up than 8.5 million not knowing our Pl future is secure.[/quote]
[/quote]

i have a good friend who is a regular at benfica, says he cant believe we are spending that much money on van wolfswinkle, says he is hugely over rated and we are wasting our money

[/quote]

And what is the point you are trying to make?

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]It is 2 in 15.[/quote]

That''s what I thought but now you''ve done it!

GeeJay''ll blow a gasket..

a brief recap of this thread needed here I think.....

I suggested that by playing a more attacking style such as we did last season might have yielded more points to date (afterall,we had more points at this stage last season)

I was then accused of wearing ''rose tinted'' glasses over last season and then presented with a breakdown of last season to display how we''d apparanly ''tailed off'' toward the back end of it.

I then pointed out that there were some good results in that final section of the season (together with the fact that we were safe with a few games left)

that was countered by some results over the last period of this season which in actual fact were not as good as the equivilent period of last season or indeed any better than the "apparant" bad finish to last season.

so my point remains......should we not be playing a more attacking style of play?......when it was proved last season that it yields more points both after the same number of games to date ....or indeed in any equivilent "3 monthly" breakdown?

Of course we should GJL, and I think most fans would agree!