Sign in to follow this  
Scooby

Holt must start !!

Holt must start against Swansea. They hate him, he loves it. He will be really up for it and will lead from the front, as he always does. Chris Hughton, leave him out at your peril.

Tettey back in alongside BJ, Pilks hopefully fit, start with Holt and Wes and KK on after 60 against a tiring defence. Bunn back in goal.

That''ll do nicely. 😊

Amended the title for you.    

He does love playing against swansea (recently said they were his next fave PL club) however you haveto pick players on form and not hope they will automatically return to better prior performances.

Kei has shown more since he has been here whether from the bench or starting to start ahead of all of the clubs strikers - why would you drop our currently best performing striker? 

I''d like to see Holt up front with KK from the start, Wes behind, Snoddy on the right, no left winger and Garrido playing as a wing back. Tettey & Johnson in midfield.

Holt means more to the team than a lot of you give him credit for.   Its easy to knock him,  overweight, unfit, wants to be in Carlisle, doesn''t like the tactics, not scoring goals.   The only one of those that is any where near true is the last one.    But he did score the winner against Everton, only a couple of matches ago.  And why did he do that?  Because  a decent cross was put in the box.     Goals will come for Grant Holt when the wingers and midfielders sort themselves out.   His team ethic can not be questioned and only those with blinkers on don''t see the amount of work he gets through in a match, so for me he would still be first on the team sheet with KK alongside him.  Then, with the right kind of play from the midfield we might start scoring one or two goals.  

[quote user="Ha ya got a loight boy"]Holt means more to the team than a lot of you give him credit for.   Its easy to knock him,  overweight, unfit, wants to be in Carlisle, doesn''t like the tactics, not scoring goals.  

[/quote]

For me its only about his contribution to the team - in my opinion in his two starts Kei has offered more movement,  ball holding up and goal threat than grant did his his two previous starts or his two sub appearances since with the same style and service across all 4 games.    As such its not critical of Holt but praise for Kei at taking his chance. 

That can easily change in three games;  Grant has to do what Kei has and make an impression from the bench and earn the starting slot back.

I''d say start Holt. Kei has looked the better individual but have we looked any more dangerous with him up front? I''d say less so. At the very least Holt wins us more free-kicks, pisses off the defenders a little more. Bring Kei in on 60 minutes (ha!) and see what happens.Just an idea.

Play Holt and KK - yes and I''ll be flamed for this - try and win the match - and, yes, play 4-4-2 and hope the team takes matters into their own hands a la Everton - go for the win not hold on for the draw.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Play Holt and KK - yes and I''ll be flamed for this - try and win the match - and, yes, play 4-4-2 and hope the team takes matters into their own hands a la Everton - go for the win not hold on for the draw.[/quote]

Well said Highland, it''s our only chance, we have to win the game, but I fear another draw!

[quote user="Vanwink"][quote user="Highland Canary"]Play Holt and KK - yes and I''ll be flamed for this - try and win the match - and, yes, play 4-4-2 and hope the team takes matters into their own hands a la Everton - go for the win not hold on for the draw.[/quote]

Well said Highland, it''s our only chance, we have to win the game, but I fear another draw![/quote]Nothing to fear in another point towards safety. A loss would be a concern though.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Vanwink"][quote user="Highland Canary"]Play Holt and KK - yes and I''ll be flamed for this - try and win the match - and, yes, play 4-4-2 and hope the team takes matters into their own hands a la Everton - go for the win not hold on for the draw.[/quote]

Well said Highland, it''s our only chance, we have to win the game, but I fear another draw![/quote]Nothing to fear in another point towards safety. A loss would be a concern though.[/quote]

Swansea are one of the few teams on a worse run than us, we are at home and need three points, I can not believe what I am reading.

the fact that Hughton''s answer to our current situation is to drop Holt rather than use a system that plays to our best striker''s strengths shows a huge failing on our manager''s part. Which of the other sides at the bottom of the league would have their top striker on the bench at this stage of the season??

According to loads on here Holt is unfit and a waste of a team place, but then Hughton is wrong for dropping him. This forum confuses the hell out of me:-)

We had these panic calls for 442 in Jan and we did start 442 (as we did for the first 7 games of the season) and performances got worse rather than better for the same reasons we are struggling now - the CM options are not strong enough to support 442 or be creative. There is not a successful PL club using  442 for a reason, so why would we make ourselves worse by starting that way?  

It has to be 4411/451 again on sat.     And Kei is currently playing better than Holt so he starts.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

We had these panic calls for 442 in Jan and we did start 442 (as we did for the first 7 games of the season) and performances got worse rather than better for the same reasons we are struggling now - the CM options are not strong enough to support 442 or be creative. There is not a successful PL club using  442 for a reason, so why would we make ourselves worse by starting that way?  

It has to be 4411/451 again on sat.     And Kei is currently playing better than Holt so he starts.

[/quote]

1 win in 15 wouldn''t suggest the current way of playing is working?........what was our formation/team for that ''1'' win at the end of the Everton match?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

It has to be 4411/451 again on sat.     And Kei is currently playing better than Holt so he starts [/quote]

1 win in 15 wouldn''t suggest the current way of playing is working?........what was our formation/team for that ''1'' win at the end of the Everton match?

[/quote]

Bollox to formations.   Its about the players, particularly the midfielders, doing what they are supposed to do - get the ball in to the penalty area and give the striker(s) something to feed off.  

[quote user="Ha ya got a loight boy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

It has to be 4411/451 again on sat.     And Kei is currently playing better than Holt so he starts [/quote]

[/quote]

Bollox to formations.   Its about the players, particularly the midfielders, doing what they are supposed to do - get the ball in to the penalty area and give the striker(s) something to feed off.  

[/quote]

well that''s the crux of it?!.....is it striker or strikers?.You can dismiss formations but on Saturday Kamara was up against 3 Wigan centre halves

The dilemma as always seems to be Wes or no Wes (4-4-2). I wonder if Kamara might play on the left to allow Snods to move back to the right with Holt up front. KK has played wide a lot and it would allow the 4-2-3-1 to continue, but with more firepower and opportunity for movement up front. Just an idea.

Not a good example everton - its the only time we have won a prem game using 442 and that was due to a smash and grab in the last 6 mins after the midfield had been out played all afternoon and created nothing.

You can say bollox to formations but chosing 442 you are weakening the team in the area of the pitch swansea are strong is a nonsense and based on hope rather than the strengths and weaknesses of our squad.

We have used 442 during the last 15-17 games - including against Luton.   The facts are we have not  played well once with 442 all season and our best performances, and 6 of our 7 wins, have come with 451 or a variant.    

What is more important is having our first choice 11 out - which has only happened twice since the start of the year -with  injuries to Bassong, tettey, pilks and Holt hitting us much harder than we realised (at the same time tiredness hit at the turn of the year) -   we have had to make do and mend and it''s shown. Losing 40 % of our midfield when its the least effective part of the team has been crucial.

Get back to our best 11 and we have more than enough using 4231.    I am praying for pilks to have an easter miracle recovery. 

Bunn / Ruddy

Whit/Mart  Turner  Bassong  Garrido

Tettey   BJ

Snoddy    Wes      Pilks

KK/Holt

Subbing in Bennett R, Bennett E, Howson and Jackson have simply shown up why they have not started more games.

Holt is a shadow of his former self but he always does well against Swansea mainly because he dominates their very average centre back - Williams. It is a crucial game and I would go for experience and start him upfront with Becchio. Also Whittaker and Tettey to replace Martin/Garrido and Howson. KK, Jackson and Pilkington to be used  after 60 mins if necessary. Show some attacking intent and under no circumstances play as if we are settling for a 0 - 0 draw.

no.. Lets not start Holt....Slowly phase him out over the next 7 games whilst we welcome RVW.If holt was a stone lighter and had any impact on games at all i''d agree... Everton apart when was the last time Holt looked like the player of last season?

He''s got to play and he has got to be given the ball in areas where he can do some damage, end of!

[quote user="Vanwink"]He''s got to play and he has got to be given the ball in areas where he can do some damage, end of![/quote]good striker can feed off scraps... Owen, Rooney, Inzaghi... all could fashion a chance from nothing.

He''s not even been offered scraps jas, it''s a complete famine.

Why did we buy Becchio?

He may have more hunger than Holt who appears to aim to get booked more than he does score. Result = time off in Carlise

[quote user="Herman "]According to loads on here Holt is unfit and a waste of a team place, but then Hughton is wrong for dropping him. This forum confuses the hell out of me:-)[/quote]

Probably because different people with differing opinions can post on here [;)]

I don''t see the point in starting Holt, he will spend most the game slowly chasing the ball, and if he can''t get to it, take an embarrassing fall, and probably get a yellow card for remonstrating with the ref. He will spend most if the game on the wing or on the floor, not where you need your forward...

Gary Neville said something tonight on MNF about Sunderland which I thought was very true in that they don''t have a "talisman to drag them through tough times"

We have that in Mr Holt. Saturday we need our captain, our talisman, our leader to start and play like he used to.