Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Are we the most boring team in the premeirship?

1 win form 14 is not the real issue for me, nor is the lack of performance from players brought in to play a different type of football.

The real issue is the dire and utter boring rubbish we are being dished up week in week out and had it not been for the late turn around against Everton, we would really be in deep trouble.

Since December we have gone into this deep defensive system set up not to lose, a 1-6-3-1 system, no link up through the centre of the park. We sit deep, invite pressure and lack the pace to counter any team.

We can play attacking attractive football when required, last 10 minutes against Everton and first half against Swansea proves we can! But Trollop, Claderwood and Hughton are boring the game to death and come out with the same old lines after we get a point or defeat.

Really finding it hard to see anything positive to say about our style of play, the way we are setting up or the way we play football. If we do survive this year, all well and good, we could be in for a long stint of boring, boring Norwich!

Would we be happy with this negative boring style if that meant we stayed up each year? Not so long back there was a thread talking about this very issue about how we felt sorry for the Stoke fans having to watch such dire football, well since January Stoke look like Barcelona compared to Norwich style.

Do we need a change in coaching, manager or is it we need better player? I hope we are more entertaining next season!

[quote user="Indy"]

1 win form 14 is not the real issue for me, nor is the lack of performance from players brought in to play a different type of football.

The real issue is the dire and utter boring rubbish we are being dished up week in week out and had it not been for the late turn around against Everton, we would really be in deep trouble.

Since December we have gone into this deep defensive system set up not to lose, a 1-6-3-1 system, no link up through the centre of the park. We sit deep, invite pressure and lack the pace to counter any team.

We can play attacking attractive football when required, last 10 minutes against Everton and first half against Swansea proves we can! But Trollop, Claderwood and Hughton are boring the game to death and come out with the same old lines after we get a point or defeat.

Really finding it hard to see anything positive to say about our style of play, the way we are setting up or the way we play football. If we do survive this year, all well and good, we could be in for a long stint of boring, boring Norwich!

Would we be happy with this negative boring style if that meant we stayed up each year? Not so long back there was a thread talking about this very issue about how we felt sorry for the Stoke fans having to watch such dire football, well since January Stoke look like Barcelona compared to Norwich style.

Do we need a change in coaching, manager or is it we need better player? I hope we are more entertaining next season!

[/quote]

What ?

The buck stops with manager, therefore, he carries the can, he should go.[:@]

Ryanfc has already allayed your fears with an excellent post on another thread:

"I don''t know if anyone has mentioned this, But in his first season at Newcastle, Newcastle were the league''s top scoring side. He took charge of 16 games the following season in the Prem, and they were the 5th top scorers at the time in the top flight. And in his only season at Birmingham, they were the 3rd highest scorers in the Championship. So in the past, he hasn''t really been too defensive it seems and has always set his side up to score goals and win games. I don''t know why we aren''t as free scoring as previous seasons, but I think, next season, with a few additions to the squad, we will be a totally different unit in the final third, and will be a lot more prolific in front of goal."

And the signing of RVW suggests Hughton expects anything but boring!

"And the signing of RVW suggests Hughton expects anything but boring! "

I seriously expect us to make three more major signings this summer. All of them between 5 and 8 million.

Let''s just survive for now and be concerned with the finer points once we do.

The damage might be felt on the terraces, but as long as our status remains unharmed I will be content.

We will likely see a new and improved version once this season''s prime aim has been (hopefully) achieved. All the signs are there, not least the RVW factor, McNally''s spending promises and Hughton''s history.

If any of us did not realistically expect a relegation scrap after the events of the Summer, and even without them to be honest, then it would surprise me. However, some do, it seems, live continuously in cloud canary land expecting small spenders to be big achievers in the shortest of time-scales. 

In the event, we are on the fringes of such a scrap but with our fate entirely in our own hands and with a fairly benign run-in.  

I think i''ll just copy and paste a response i made on a previous thread:

I''m sorry but Hughton''s first job is to keep us in the Prem, not entertain you.

I''m not saying that''s a fantastic perspective upon things but it''s the reality. His livelihood and the clubs well-being relies upon us staying in the Premier League this season. As things stand, we are doing that.

I fully concur that some of the games have been mind-numbingly dull and boring - but it a few of them games we''ve picked up points which could well be vital.

Hughton''s past suggest he certainly is capable of managing a free-scoring yet well organised side - i can hardly blame him from eering on the side of caution this season, especially when he probably has McNally breathing down his ear reminding him our Prem status is VITAL.

With all the dross we put up with for years pre Lambert, it shows how impatient some of you lot are. Not willing to accept a half season of SOME poor games for the premier league future of this club.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

and with a fairly benign run-in.  

[/quote]

see - even our run in is boring [;)]

Hog, I''m sure we will stay up, not too bothered about the negative nellies, we will scrape three more results from somewhere, Reading, Villa and Stoke are the ones in my mind we will gain the 5 points to survive.

But it''s no good thinking that by signing RVW and players like him will change our style. The Coaching and tactics may still remain the same!

If we carry on with this style how does RVW fit into this type of style?

Funny that we have not won a single league game this year by more than 1 goal!

It''s no good saying we have become more solid as we conceded 66 goals all last season and to date we have conceded 47 in 31 games, which is only an improvement of 1.72 per game to 1.52 per game. Yet our goal scored have gone from 1.32 per game to 0.9 per game!

Anyhow, before and of December we were playing higher up the pitch, out playing some good side for long periods of the game, since WBA away we have been dropping deeper and trying to hold on the results which have lead to the most boring football.

It''s not good comparing this season to those dark days post Premiership when we were on a serious decline both on pitch and financially.

All I asked in my OP is why have we become so poor to watch? Is it the pressure on the staff to ensure we stay up or is it just inbread in Hughton or Calderwood or Trollop to be negative?

We are dull to watch, not something ever labled at Norwich before!

As I''ve also said on another thread, we were not at all ''deep'' v Wigan, we controlled the midfield for long periods of the game.

But people can believe what they want. And to say that we are only slightly better defensively this season based solely on statistics is not taking a holistic view. There is no question that the team is far better organised this season, with better quality defensive players. It is generally better to get beaten 5-0 one week then keep 4 clean sheets than concede 1 in every game for 5 games, and given that I believe we kept 2 PL clean sheets last season but have 9 clean sheets from 31 games this season, I think that tells its own story.

I think the major answer to the defensive strategy is based upon the fact we didn''t sign a "big" striker in the summer. we were clearly after a striker but it was seen that defence was our main focus. If we had kept under last seasons go for it attitude, I personally feel we don''t have good enough stirkers to have continued in the way which we did last year (teams knowing us better etc).

Also, the closest thing some will look at is Villa. The reason they can attack sometimes in the "Lambert" style is because of their attacking options, specifically considering it all how many points they would have without Benteke... I don''t exactly know but can certainly think of his goals winning them points, he may be the only reason (if they do) they survive

Well I don''t think we''re boring. I still enjoy the games. In fact I enjoy them a lot more that the seasons leading up to 2009/10. But we did then have three real rollercoaster seasons which I have said countless times had to stop. It just couldn''t carry on indefinitely in that vein. Anyone who expected differently is surely very unrealistic.

Go back to the fixture list. Revisit the games you went to this season. Then list the ones you enjoyed and the ones you were bored. If you have been bored all season then I think you should maybe think about whether it''s worth carrying on spending the money because there''s loads of people want to take your place.

[quote user="Xander11ncfc"]I think the major answer to the defensive strategy is based upon the fact we didn''t sign a "big" striker in the summer. we were clearly after a striker but it was seen that defence was our main focus. If we had kept under last seasons go for it attitude, I personally feel we don''t have good enough stirkers to have continued in the way which we did last year (teams knowing us better etc).

Also, the closest thing some will look at is Villa. The reason they can attack sometimes in the "Lambert" style is because of their attacking options, specifically considering it all how many points they would have without Benteke... I don''t exactly know but can certainly think of his goals winning them points, he may be the only reason (if they do) they survive[/quote]

It seems we did try to sign strikers in the summer. See my thread in Fazier Campbell. We failed and picked up Kane but it does appear that we had more ambition. We can''t force deals obviously.

Beefy is a legend Said --- And to say that we are only slightly better defensively this season based solely on statistics is not taking a holistic view. There is no question that the team is far better organised this season, with better quality defensive players.

--- It is generally better to get beaten 5-0 one week then keep 4 clean sheets than concede 1 in every game for 5 games, and given that I believe we kept 2 PL clean sheets last season but have 9 clean sheets from 31 games this season, I think that tells its own story.

We are far better organised defensively, players get forward less, and we have superior players than last season. And yet the goals against tally is only 2 fewer. 9 clean sheets is a very good showing, but we have failed to score 12 times! Points are what counts, and winning one game, and losing the next gets you more points than drawing both games 0-0.