He can only work with what he has got. Much of our play brakes down in the final 3rd due to bad touches or lack of vision. We have tried 442 and did not have much success.

I thought our build up play was OK this weekend and it was our final ball or some bad touches that let us down. I am sure if he could sneak RvW over he would! But we have this squad of players so get behind them and the manager FFS for these last few games. And I think the signing of RvW should show most fans what he wants to try and achieve, after all he did not have that long in the summer to get who he wanted into the squad since the Lambo fiasco took up half the summer.

He''s had best part of a year. We were saying in pre-season, we''re struggling to score goals, goals which the same team were more than capable of scoring last season.

He''s arguably added better talent to what we had last season, yet can''t get them playing for him.

RVW will not score a hatful of goals unless he can sort out the system. Grant Holt being a perfect example of this.

His system is wrong

Well I''m no football manager, but its about time many people on here woke up, got real and look at it for what it is.

I think allowing players to play their natural game would be a good start.

Do you really think we''d have gone to the DW under Lambert and not score?

Try to win a game and you will win some.

You''ve only got to look at players like Fox, Bennett etc. Shadows of who they were last season. Holt?

They must be told to do the things they do, and it simply doesn''t work.

Try Snoddy on the left, his natural side. Bennett is effective down the right and can whip the ball in quickly.

I don''t necessarily have the answer, but I seem to frequently find myself moaning about selections, tactics, subs and the like.

1 win in 15 games isn''t great and I really don''t believe its down to our quality

Ridiculous!

Snoddy''s best and most natural position is on the right. He has been tried on the left recently and not looked so good.

You don''t even have the questions.

Hughton isn''t Lambert. Somethings were better under Lambert and some better under Hughton. We may not have gone to the DW and not scored but equally Man U and Arse wouldn''t have come here and not scored. We had no choice but replace Lambert after he left. We couldn''t have gone into this serason with rose tinted memories in chaqrge.

OK Nutty Nigel,

Explain to me the form of the mentioned players, explain how he doesn''t rotate the side properly and when he does, those players looks completely off the pace.

Holt was being touted for England and now its being suggested he''s on his way out.

Fox was our 3rd player of the season, can''t even get a sniff.

Bennett was prolific last season, looks at all sorts atm.

Hughton doesn''t seem to keep the players fired up.

Obviously we couldn''t help Lambert leaving, you''re not a genius for stating that. I''m just concerned that the same issues from pre-season (which we all were concerned about and dubbed "it''s only pre-season", are still evident in April.

Explain how we went from being one of the highest scorers outside the top 4 to being what I think is the lowest scorers of the season.

So are we blaming the players or the manager?

Explain the constant striker for a striker sub when we''re losing.

Explain the constant 87-89th minute subs when everyone else in the ground is screaming for them twenty minutes earlier.

you live in the clouds sunshine.

Interesting Nutty. Do you ever criticise the club, or the manager that happens to be employed at the club at any particular time.

Just asking, as, because the contributors never meet personally (some exceptions), it is most difficult to assess personalities. Whilst I tend to disagree with some of your points of view, a face to face chat over a pint between contributors would reveal much more in common.

I suppose my motivation in posting this is, it seems anyone who makes a comment that does not praise Hoots and his wonderful coaching staff to the hilt, gets slaughtered. There are some that do invite that reaction but most seem to me to be sensible, ardent supporters of our club

BTW I should add that I''m not advocating such meetings. Just an observation that''s all.

Well to be fair Renegadesnare, you make some good points and a lot of fans would agree.I find it funny how people used to moan when our defence would shift the ball around for a few minutes and then we would build slowly from the back.These days Bunny just whacks one into the stratosphere and it comes down 75% of time at an opposition players feet.I agree with the fact we straight swap strikers as well.Lambert was a very exciting and attacking manager who was reckless, we are now overly cautious under Hughton.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Ridiculous!

Snoddy''s best and most natural position is on the right. He has been tried on the left recently and not looked so good.

You don''t even have the questions.

Hughton isn''t Lambert. Somethings were better under Lambert and some better under Hughton. We may not have gone to the DW and not scored but equally Man U and Arse wouldn''t have come here and not scored. We had no choice but replace Lambert after he left. We couldn''t have gone into this serason with rose tinted memories in chaqrge.

[/quote]agreed! what people might want to remember is from the Leicester game last season onwards we were in freefall under Lambert a little bit too.... The squad was found out long before Hughton was here.he''s done a great job with his signings, I am confident RVW will be just as good an addition, over the next 2 or 3 years I can see the majority of Lamberts players being moved on, Ruddy and Russ Martin apart.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Interesting Nutty. Do you ever criticise the club, or the manager that happens to be employed at the club at any particular time. Just asking, as, because the contributors never meet personally (some exceptions), it is most difficult to assess personalities. Whilst I tend to disagree with some of your points of view, a face to face chat over a pint between contributors would reveal much more in common. I suppose my motivation in posting this is, it seems anyone who makes a comment that does not praise Hoots and his wonderful coaching staff to the hilt, gets slaughtered. There are some that do invite that reaction but most seem to me to be sensible, ardent supporters of our club BTW I should add that I''m not advocating such meetings. Just an observation that''s all.[/quote]

Interestiing Bury. Who''s buying this pint first? I deduce that you''re a bit of an old soak from comments on here so let me just say that I will only buy you one. Of course you may not be an old soak. It could just be the impression I get from the amount of time you post that you are "off to the pub" or "just in from the pub". I admit that these posts could paint a different picture to reality.

This weekend I have criticised Hughton for not starting Holt and for playing Snodgrass out of position. I suppose because these criticisms are for doing what many posters wanted they are not seen as such. I also don''t randomly blame people at the club everytime something happens that disappoints me. I try to be objective on here and engage posters, including you buddy, in debate. But most posters, including you buddy, take their ball home.

So where are we going with this Bury?

It looks to me as though the players are not motivated enough. It seems the manager doesnt trust the players. We got to where we are on team spirit and motivation, i wonder how high the morale and team spirit is when half the squad havnt kicked a ball all season and the ones that have are not trusted enough to impose their own game.

We went to Blackburn about this time last season. Didn''t score, played even worse than on Saturday. Lost 1-0 to a team crashing towards relegation.

Who was the manager then?

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Very passive aggressive Nutty
[/quote]

That''s a new one on me Nex! LOL

What is passive aggressive? Is it a step up from timid aggressive? What would you class Bury''s post as?

[quote user="JF"]It looks to me as though the players are not motivated enough. It seems the manager doesnt trust the players. We got to where we are on team spirit and motivation, i wonder how high the morale and team spirit is when half the squad havnt kicked a ball all season and the ones that have are not trusted enough to impose their own game.[/quote]

The thing is we were never going to keep the forward momentum we started in 2009. If we did we''d be in Europe by the end of the season and in the Champions League by the end of next season. People get slated for saying "look how far we''ve come" but they are right. The momentum was always going to stop whoever was manager. Perhaps it had already stopped?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Very passive aggressive Nutty[/quote]

What is passive aggressive? Is it a step up from timid aggressive? What would you class Bury''s post as?

[/quote]Hehe, never heard of being passive aggressive behaviour mate ? :)Bury could have been seen to wanting to provoke a argument, but tbh it seemed like a fair enough post.Not sure what history you have win him on here though so maybe there was more to it.I dunno, im just a wind up merchant, meet me down the pub and I''d probably start laughing over some of the daft shite i post on here to wind people up. I see myself as an Intrhawheb fisherman ;)

Motivation and confidence has correctly been identified as part of the problem. Setting out not to lose and playing negative football, even at home, has resulted in goals drying up, players losing confidence going forward and the easy choice to pass the ball backwards is the result. We know that on our recent form, if the opposition score we are unlikely to be able to score to get back into the game

Im lookinh more at the togetherness of the squad than the momentum that started to go at the end of last season. Under lambert if you had a pair of boots he trusted you to play, that clearly is not the case under hughton and that must have an effect on the morale around the squad?

I just don''t believe our players have lost their ability, it''s confidence and motivation. Vanwink is spot on.

Yes we did have a slump but did we ever go 1 win in 15 games? We always felt like we could win a game. We were more than capable of a poor performance, every club is. However prior to kick off, we believed we could score and nick atleast a point from any game.

This season, I feel I''m going into every game expecting a draw at best, if we go 1-0 down then thats it.

Surely, that has to be in the player''s mentality too. They need to be psyched up and told that they''re capable. Not compared to the mighty elite of every other team we come up against. Wigan now apparently included.

That ^ is what makes a great manager. Look at Ferguson, even when his side are ''transitional'' he keeps the competitive, keeps them believing.

Our players need to believe, and be told to believe. Not told that they''re going up against the world''s best and have no chance.

I think tactically he is 20 years out of his depth. We only look dangerous from set pieces, his whole attacking plan is to play a target man up top alone and pump high balls and crosses into him while the rest are set up to defend.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]We went to Blackburn about this time last season. Didn''t score, played even worse than on Saturday. Lost 1-0 to a team crashing towards relegation.

Who was the manager then?[/quote]

We were really poor at Blackburn last season. A really long hike for a team which didn''t turn up. However, in my opinion, it is possible to distinguish our recent performances from that of last year, in that we could believe that Lambert would at least try to get the team firing for the next one - ''we go again'' and all that. I''m not convinced that this team has the motivation of that of last season - one can only wonder why?

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Very passive aggressive Nutty
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hehe, never heard of being passive aggressive behaviour mate ? :)

Bury could have been seen to wanting to provoke a argument, but tbh it seemed like a fair enough post.
Not sure what history you have win him on here though so maybe there was more to it.

I dunno, im just a wind up merchant, meet me down the pub and I''d probably start laughing over some of the daft shite i post on here to wind people up. I see myself as an Intrhawheb fisherman ;)
[/quote]

I''d never heard that before buddy. I''ve heard of passive smoking though :)

There''s no history between me and Bury. He just thinks that I agree with everything the club say or do. Of course that''s not true but I don''t always buy into the popular knee-jerk scapegoats. My post was to show that by cherry picking his comments in the same way I could paint himas an old soak!

I''m happy to have such fun on here or debate things seriously. But this forum is a leisure activity so should be enjoyed. The OP has no time at all for this forum and I don''t like brussel sprouts. However, I''m not spending my bank holiday afternoon eating brussel sprouts.

I love it here [Y]

[quote user="JF"]I think tactically he is 20 years out of his depth. We only look dangerous from set pieces, his whole attacking plan is to play a target man up top alone and pump high balls and crosses into him while the rest are set up to defend.[/quote]how come he did so well at Newcastle then?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Very passive aggressive Nutty[/quote]

[/quote]Hehe, never heard of being passive aggressive behaviour mate ? :)Bury could have been seen to wanting to provoke a argument, but tbh it seemed like a fair enough post.Not sure what history you have win him on here though so maybe there was more to it.I dunno, im just a wind up merchant, meet me down the pub and I''d probably start laughing over some of the daft shite i post on here to wind people up. I see myself as an Intrhawheb fisherman ;)[/quote]

I''d never heard that before buddy. I''ve heard of passive smoking though :)

There''s no history between me and Bury. He just thinks that I agree with everything the club say or do. Of course that''s not true but I don''t always buy into the popular knee-jerk scapegoats. My post was to show that by cherry picking his comments in the same way I could paint himas an old soak!

I''m happy to have such fun on here or debate things seriously. But this forum is a leisure activity so should be enjoyed. The OP has no time at all for this forum and I don''t like brussel sprouts. However, I''m not spending my bank holiday afternoon eating brussel sprouts.

I love it here [Y]

[/quote]Fuck that ! :D

Renegade and Vanwink are spot on with their assessment. All the "Lambert players" have gone downhill since their exploits of previous seasons. Yes, they were not highly paid international players, but they were young and enthusiastic and were improving year by year I suspect due to the influence and coaching of Culverhouse. Rather than attempting to carry on this tend Hughton has falled in to the trap of indicating they are not good enough and brought in his own men. Result loss of motivation and team spirit. Accept that he has improved the defence - with two rigid lines of four defensive players they should concede less.

I pray that we will somehow sneak some goals to keep us up but then it is time to say goodbye to Hughton. Even at the start of the season against Ajax he defended for most of the game and you could see players were not allowed to move forward. To me he has been a disappointment, particularly as week after week after some 60 mins he keeps consulting with his coach but you can see is unable to make a decision. Eventually does something after 80 mins which is too late.

While frustration is understandable, simply rubbishing Hughton is not right.   He has come in with a way of playing that is competitive at all levels, hence the victories over MU and Arsenal.    We have only looked pants against Liverpool and the first Fulham game.   The rest of the time we have been in the matches, barely ever overun.    This is all well and good.    Where we are falling short is the quality of the midfielders and their failure to deliver quality crosses and quick incisive play.    They can pass it around  well and compete, but that incisiveness is missing.   One or two of them need to wake up and smell the coffee.    Hoolahan and Snodgrass are the two players you would expect to be able to deliver, but more often than not they dither and delay the final ball.  It took Garido to provide any decent crosses against Wigan and Martin to provide the cross against Everton.    If Hoolahan and Snodgrass are so good as people say, why aren''t they providing more crosses, incisive passes and if they are not doing that why are they not scoring themselves?    I would be tempted to drop both of them, put Pilks and Benno out wide put KK and Holt up front and Johnson and Tettey as the two dm''s. For me they are not doing enough.   Blaming Hughton will get us nowhere, its the players responsibility to do their jobs.

Lambert was able to motivate his players. Hughton struggles to do this.

You got the impression the players under Lambert knew they were trusted by the manager and you could see this whenever they took to the field. A few of the fringe players (Alby being a prime example) fitted into the team seamlessly when called upon, even when they''d not had much action.

A few of the lads this season, Fox and Bennett in particular, have looked completely devoid of confidence when picked under CH. You get the impression he doesn''t trust any of the squad bar the 14/15 regulars and I think this might be filtering throughout the squad. When you''re struggling to score a goal or carve out a chance with 70-75 minutes on the clock, it must be pretty depressing to thi I your manager doesn''t ave te faith that his subs could change the game.

Couldnt have done to well at Newcastle jas cos he got sacked. I believe we will be fine this season and we could easily finish top 12, but if we do it doesnt mean these problems dont exist, we are completely inaffective going forward and he must address that, if he doesnt then maybe our board will decide he isnt the man to take us forward, the same as newcastles did.