Sign in to follow this  
Rob Snelling

Francis up front?

I know Worthington was joking after the West Brom game, but what do you think about giving Francis a go up front?  He obviously has an excellent strike on him, often gets into goal poaching positions and, most importantly, is our top scorer.  I know we would lose something from midfield but I think Safri is a quiality player and deserves a run out, this is the only way I can see this happening.  Ashton is obviously our 1st choice striker, but it is difficult to pick his partner.  Huckerby is more effective on the left and McKenzie is not prem standard, and more effective as a substitute imo.  Therefore Francis might be the answer to our striking problems.  So what do you think?   

[quote]I know Worthington was joking after the West Brom game, but what do you think about giving Francis a go up front? He obviously has an excellent strike on him, often gets into goal poaching positions ...[/quote]

I think that possibly in "Lets play people out of position" world or "Why don''t we try something stupid" world this could be a great idea. However in "the real" world this is not so good.

It makes me laugh, he scores a feew goals so he must be a striker really. NO! He is a goal-scoring midfielder and a good one at that. Why lose one of the few players who has made the step up this season by playing him completely out of position?

No, he is a midfielder, getting goals from midfield is a whole different kettle of fish to getting goals as a striker. Strikers do other jobs too, they hold the ball up, the receive the ball with their back to goal and basically make nuisance of themselves in the penalty area. It is often the hard working effort from the strikers that enables a midfielder to come in a bag a few goals. Some teams have strikers that get them 80% of there goals (i.e. Palace) and some spread the goals around like us, lets just stick with it. 

My brother has been consistently suggesting the same thing since October and like younger brothers usually are he is quite wrong!!!  however having it raised by another has made me think again however I still think its a non starter becasue *(deep breath)

First of all we have 2 premiership quality forwards at the club now in Hux and Ashton and we should give them a run together to build an understanding - it cant be helping Deano to play on his own one week (villa) with hux, then leon, then hux all in a 4-4-2 then to play in a  4-3-3 with both - how will he develop any understanding when the system and partners change so frequently - no wonder he looked lost at times on sat.   As you say leon is a good sub but little else and not up to standard.

Damos strike rate is linked to his ability to arrive in the box late - being a front man will mean he will not be able to do this having started his runs much further up the field.

Next it is not his preferred position - who doesnt want to be the glory boy of a striker??  If he was good enough he would be there already.  His strength is his ability to support the front two - not necessarily scoring goals from the front.  We have already seen enough players in this squad played out of position and adding another is well down on the list of options for me. 

It would weaken our midfield - although he has not been so impressive since his injury Francis was seriously missed when not there and he has performed consistently all season - a midfield o holt/safri, stuart & holt/safri or any of the other permutations will leave an already weak midfield weaker still. 

However if Hux or Ashton were injured and sven was still out then I thnk he would be an option to consider - I just hope that its not one we should need to consider.

OTBC

moving the only player that looks like he has taken the step to the prem out of his best position would be suicide.  Ashton and Hux could be leathal given a few games together.

Francis is playing well BECAUSE he''s in his natural position, playing his natural game. To play him up front because he''s scoring goals from midfield wouldn''t automatically mean that he would make an amazing striker, or even a competent one for that matter. 

For example: Holty is good at tackling and breaking up opposition''s play, but he was pants when played at rightback for Scotland and City.

Also, if Francis is regularly scoring goals from midfield, surely it would be better to leave him there and allow him to continue, whilst playing 2, maybe 3 strikers ahead of him who could also weigh in with important goals..?