Sign in to follow this  
Paul Spector

Jacob Butterfield

As i understand it, he has returned from his various loan spells and is back with the club.

Anyone think he is worth a shout for inclusion in the squad? Certainly a different option to what we seem to be using currently, perhaps more creative?

Could he be any worse than some of the lacklustre midfield performances we''ve seen of late?

Probably not any worse.  Has he done anything to warrant a chance whilst on loan?  I haven''t heard much of him.  Would be a gamble to chuck him in at the deep end.

Weirdly I noticed he didn''t play in the development squad match that Tettey featured in yesterday. Hmm...

From what little I have seen of him, Doncaster, Spurs & Peterborough, he is not ready for Premier league this was particularly shown up in the spurs game.  Shows promise but maybe he will develope & get a chance next season.

Has he got more to offer than any of Johnson, Howson, Tettey, Wes or any other midfielder in the first team picture? No.

I don''t think we''re ever likely to see much of Butterfield in a Norwich shirt anyway but as far as the rest of this season goes I just don''t really see how it''d be a good idea.

I''ve been lucky enough to see a fair bit of the lad this last couple of years - long story. And on form/fit he''s a much better player than the likes of Howson, Johnson etc.

I was really excited when we signed him, but knew he''d take some time to get back up to speed.

Perhaps the situation we''re in doesn''t lend itself to ''trying'' out certain players, but I''d be keen on him at least making the bench.

He''s got great feet, doesn''t give the ball away, can shoot from practically anywhere, and has great vision.

All in all, I''d suggest he''s the type of playmaker we need. But as I say, bit of a risk at this stage of the season.

[quote user="The Farmer"]I''ve been lucky enough to see a fair bit of the lad this last couple of years - long story. And on form/fit he''s a much better player than the likes of Howson, Johnson etc. I was really excited when we signed him, but knew he''d take some time to get back up to speed. Perhaps the situation we''re in doesn''t lend itself to ''trying'' out certain players, but I''d be keen on him at least making the bench. He''s got great feet, doesn''t give the ball away, can shoot from practically anywhere, and has great vision. All in all, I''d suggest he''s the type of playmaker we need. But as I say, bit of a risk at this stage of the season.[/quote]

If he''s that good then clearly we will have a hell of a player on our hands - if he is "much" better than the likes of Howson and Johnson.

It''s alright saying he doesn''t give the ball away, he can shoot from anywhere etc but he hasn''t done it in the Premier League yet. He''s going to find it much harder and the chances are that he will look a much more ordinarily player than you believe him to be.

Farmer, he probably looks great in lower leagues, against weaker opposition.

He hardly set the world alight out on loan, and struggled to have a permanent place in the squad. I sincerely doubt he''ll play for the first time this season, or contribute anything of much note

Bit of a forgetten man. Dont forget he had a bad injury and the road to recovery may be a long one. I have seen flashes of brilliance but not many, early days

I think that I recall him being on the bench a few times on his loan, so it does not sound as if he made much of a mark.

The only argument for making him one of the eighteen is that he would be a "secret weapon", with opponents unsure what to make of him, but that could even apply to our own team. How often have our own players played alongside him?

He was regarded as something of a player with great potential when we signed him, and Lambert pipped other clubs to his signature. But he had a dreadful injury, which seems to take much longer to heal than expected at CR. He may be one for the future, when fully recovered and integrated, but he is something of a risk at the moment.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="The Farmer"]I''ve been lucky enough to see a fair bit of the lad this last couple of years - long story. And on form/fit he''s a much better player than the likes of Howson, Johnson etc. I was really excited when we signed him, but knew he''d take some time to get back up to speed. Perhaps the situation we''re in doesn''t lend itself to ''trying'' out certain players, but I''d be keen on him at least making the bench. He''s got great feet, doesn''t give the ball away, can shoot from practically anywhere, and has great vision. All in all, I''d suggest he''s the type of playmaker we need. But as I say, bit of a risk at this stage of the season.[/quote]

If he''s that good then clearly we will have a hell of a player on our hands - if he is "much" better than the likes of Howson and Johnson.

It''s alright saying he doesn''t give the ball away, he can shoot from anywhere etc but he hasn''t done it in the Premier League yet. He''s going to find it much harder and the chances are that he will look a much more ordinarily player than you believe him to be.

[/quote]With living up here the last few years and a good friend of mine being a season ticket holder in the exec boxes at Oakwell, I admit I''m slightly biased. I went along to around 10 games at Barnsley last season and this kid had the lot. So much so that had he not got crocked by Michael Brown he would have gone on to sign for a bigger club than us, in all honesty.

So when I heard that we''d got him I was delighted.

I saw him against Doncaster at CR in the cup and he looked decent, but I think he picked up a slight knock which set him back.

I''ve spoke with supporters at Bolton and Palace about him and they were bemused at his lack of game time. Said he was just finding his form/sharpness.

In fact, after being instrumental in Palace''s last 2 victories he was bizarrely dropped by Holloway and Palace haven''t won or scored a goal since... no wonder the lad refused an extension down there.

But as I say, it''s a risk for us to be blooding him at this stage of the season, but I would think a place on the bench is very possible.

As for Johnson and Howson, they''re both very limited players. Just my opinion, but if we were to stay up again this term then we really need to be improving in that area for next year - our lack of creativity is our main problem. Something the boy Butterfield brings to the table.

[quote user="The Farmer"]. As for Johnson and Howson, they''re both very limited players. Just my opinion, but if we were to stay up again this term then we really need to be improving in that area for next year - our lack of creativity is our main problem. Something the boy Butterfield brings to the table.[/quote]

Johnson is a bit more limited than Howson but a couple of years ago Howson was just as highly spoken about as a younger player as Butterfield has ever been and of course was Leeds captain in his very early 20s.

But looking a good player for Barnsley in the Championship and looking a good player or a bigger club in the Premier League are two very different things. He''ll be up against players that read what he''s going to do and close him down much quicker than he''s used to.

If he is outstanding then he will make his mark because we are not in a position to be able to overlook players of such quality but at that this stage I will wait to see him produce quality performances for us before I sing his praises.

I suspect this is just not his year - he is still coming back from a serious injury and has not been impressive playing in the champs on loan. If CMartin is not good enough on that basis why should Butterfield be?

I am hoping he will come on next year - but he is more of an attacking midfielder and that means competing with wes - is he better than him? probably not at the mo.

wait for next season