Sign in to follow this  
Ketts Rebel

Jimmy Hill's 3 Point system.

It is impossible to get 3 points in a game without scoring.

Thanks to Jimmy Hill the whole points system was changed in 1981 to reward attacking football.

Over 10 games;

If half are won and half are lost = 15 points.

If all are drawn = 10 points.

A  ''go for it'' approach can pay off - even if you lose sometimes.

I think we are playing a type of game that suited the old ''2 points for a win'' system.

Read this......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_points_for_a_win

This is evidence that we should just GO FOR IT, attack attack attack!

It''s a sad reflection that it needs to be pointed out Kett but such is the complacency on this board.

[quote user="Ketts Rebel"]

It is impossible to get 3 points in a game without scoring.

[/quote]This just furthers my argument that we should award points at the end of a match based on entertainment value, while acknowledging the importance of scoring goals as they are, of course, entertaining and lovely to watch in and of themselves.At the end of each half of a match, three  fans - one home fan, one away fan, and one neutral - get buttons to press in order to mark each side out of ten.One score is deducted from the other to give the initial score, and we then have a "Justice Button" that you can only press if Norwich are still winning after this initial scoring process.If the "Justice Button" is pressed then the three fans have to agree whether Norwich really deserved to win, and when they agree that Norwich did not deserve to win, the scoring is reversed.If Norwich are not winning then there is no "Justice Button" as we clearly deserved to lose.

EXAMPLE 1:Norwich play Sunderland away from home.  The scores are:Sunderland fan: Sunderland 10 Norwich 0Neutral fan: Sunderland 6 Norwich 8Norwich fan: Sunderland 8 Norwich 6Sunderland therefore win 24-14.

EXAMPLE 2:Norwich play Arsenal at Carrow Road.  The scores are:Norwich fan: Norwich 8 Arsenal 7Neutral fan: Norwich 8 Arsenal 5Arsenal fan: Norwich 7 Arsenal 5Norwich are winning 23-17 so the Justice Button is activated.The Norwich fan agrees that other than scoring, Norwich were far too negative and sat back too much for the home side, and Arsenal should have scored three or four.Result overturned - Arsenal win 23-17.

I''ve re-run our season in this manner and we currently have 4 points.

I think this is a great idea Mr.C but how do you select the Norwich fan ? My suggestion would be a Canary Call regular in the case of home games who did not actually go to the game and in  the case of away games someone who follows the match thread on this messageboard.

I think GeeJay or RowDee would be too trigger happy on the justice button...

But well done Mister! You have managed to put into words what I have been feeling all day[Y]

I think GeeJay or RowDee would be too trigger happy on the justice button...

But well done Mister! You have managed to put into words what I have been feeling all day[Y]

I think finding a neutral fan willing to sit through 90 minutes of current Norwich City football might be a tall order...[;)]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]I think finding a neutral fan willing to sit through 90 minutes of current Norwich City football might be a tall order...[;)][/quote]

The only one i can think of would be Wiz as he obviously follows Villa,Qpr and Brighton because he posts on their messageboards so he must be neutral towards most clubs.

[quote user="Vanwink"]It''s a sad reflection that it needs to be pointed out Kett but such is the complacency on this board.[/quote]So what are you actually doing about it? Why don''t you start a protest on Saturday? Or do you think you are actually achieving something by posting negative stuff on the board after every poor result? Didn''t see you post after the United, Arsenal, Swansea or Everton game?Bottom line is, you are pathetic

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="Vanwink"]It''s a sad reflection that it needs to be pointed out Kett but such is the complacency on this board.[/quote]

So what are you actually doing about it? Why don''t you start a protest on Saturday?
Or do you think you are actually achieving something by posting negative stuff on the board after every poor result?
Didn''t see you post after the United, Arsenal, Swansea or Everton game?
Bottom line is, you are pathetic
[/quote]

He was not in a position to post after those games as he was not Vanwink then.[;)]

Another Mr. Chops classic. I''ve not seen enough of those posts recently!

As for those who were (maybe?) having a serious discussion at the start of the thread; you do know that there is more than one way to win a game. See Juventus all season in Serie A, they set up defensively but seem to have acquired quite a few points. But when we set up defensively it''s because we''re playing for a draw?

Now the dust has settled..

My post was simply making the point that the points system is designed (since 1981) to heavily favour a win as opposed to a draw.

I know this is an obvious point, but think about it..playing not to lose, or playing for a draw, immediately puts you at a disadvantage.

The system favours attacking football.

The points are weighted, to encourage aggressive attacking tactics.

If it was still 2 points for a win, there would be more of a reason to be more defensive.

Basically, I think that throwing some of our cautious tactics into the wind, being more attack minded (even losing more) would over time give greater reward.

10 draws. (no loses) = 10 points.

4 wins  (6 loses!) = 12 points.

Chance it, go for it, attack, attack.... the SYSTEM is waiting to reward you...........

Your clearly upset Ellis I am sure your not the sort of person who would normally go around being rude to people. I think I am entitled to express my views as you are, but. No need for personal abuse.

Perhaps this could be taken a step further when no points are won if no goals are scored.

Therefore the only change would be no points for either team for a 0-0 draw. If you want to win at least one point you must score.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Perhaps this could be taken a step further when no points are won if no goals are scored.

Therefore the only change would be no points for either team for a 0-0 draw. If you want to win at least one point you must score.[/quote]

Tis

[quote user="Ketts Rebel"]

Now the dust has settled.. My post was simply making the point that the points system is designed (since 1981) to heavily favour a win as opposed to a draw. I know this is an obvious point, but think about it..playing not to lose, or playing for a draw, immediately puts you at a disadvantage.The system favours attacking football. The points are weighted, to encourage aggressive attacking tactics. If it was still 2 points for a win, there would be more of a reason to be more defensive. Basically, I think that throwing some of our cautious tactics into the wind, being more attack minded (even losing more) would over time give greater reward.  10 draws. (no loses) = 10 points. 4 wins  (6 loses!) = 12 points.  Chance it, go for it, attack, attack.... the SYSTEM is waiting to reward you...........    

[/quote]

As has been pointed out many times, we are not purely defensive minded.   Hughton is known at previous clubs for his teams producing good football at both ends of the pitch.   The problem is that we don''t yet have the players to fully make the most of  the way it needs to be done.   Hughton has tightened up the defence and has succeeded in making us very hard to beat and we are still in a good position to stay in this league.  He has to stay strong and carry on his brief - and that is to develop the club and make us more competitive over a period of years in this league.    You don''t create an Everton over night.   The defence was the first problem and we simply have to be patient to allow the team to develop.  Goals are an issue, obviously, but it is not complete doom and gloom.  We are still picking up points and the team looks strong in many areas.   3 points for a win, yes, one point for a draw, yes.    The medicine is hard to take, I know, but we were always going to have a battle this season.   Yes, the system favours those that attack...............but only if they can defend too.   Learn to defend first, then you will be hard to beat, then add potency in attack on to that..... and that is a work in progress.   Next season, will be the time to judge. 

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Perhaps this could be taken a step further when no points are won if no goals are scored. Therefore the only change would be no points for either team for a 0-0 draw. If you want to win at least one point you must score.[/quote]

I get your point but how would you feel if we go away to Arsenal in just over a week, we create two good goal scoring chances. One falls to Bradley Johnson who shanks it wide and the otehr falls to Hoolahan on his right foot which gets tipped round the post. Meanwhile at the other end Bunn produces 5 top class saves on a similar level to Banks against Pele. Does neither team deserve a point? It''s been an entertaining game but two missed chances and a series of world class saves means no team gets any points. Dosen''t seem quite right to me.

Davo

[quote user="Davo"]

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Perhaps this could be taken a step further when no points are won if no goals are scored. Therefore the only change would be no points for either team for a 0-0 draw. If you want to win at least one point you must score.[/quote]

I get your point but how would you feel if we go away to Arsenal in just over a week, we create two good goal scoring chances. One falls to Bradley Johnson who shanks it wide and the otehr falls to Hoolahan on his right foot which gets tipped round the post. Meanwhile at the other end Bunn produces 5 top class saves on a similar level to Banks against Pele. Does neither team deserve a point? It''s been an entertaining game but two missed chances and a series of world class saves means no team gets any points. Dosen''t seem quite right to me. Davo[/quote]

If the ball ever falls to Wes on his right foot, he would turn and turn and turn and turn again to get the ball on his left, before shooting into a pack of defenders who had half an hour to get back - after sitting on the halfway line for a cup of tea first - to get back between him and the goal.     

Like already mentioned: 0-0 = no points, that would be a good adaptation of the system.

Score draw = one point

no score = no points

I can''t believe City fans are still suggesting changing the rules to get us closer to the bottom of the league. This is either one big wind up or you lot are not what you appear to be[:O]

If Fleck''s ridiculous idea was ever brought in I would hope that each side would immediately score an own goal from kick off to get the match to mean something again. Every club strives to keep a clean sheet so a 0-0 draw can be seen as a better result than 4-4.

Sorry to have bothered you so much Nigel... I was just thinking out loud, don''t ever expect it to be implemented. It''s just so fooking hard to watch teams try to play out a 0-0 draw instead of trying to win a game...

I was curious to see what the table would like like under 2 pts for a win : Man Utd - 25 2 3 =   52 (77)Man City - 18 8 4 =  44 (62)Tottenham - 17 6 8 = 40 (57)Chelsea - 16 7 7 =   39 (55)Arsenal - 15 8 7 =   38 (53)Everton - 13 12 5 =  38 (51)Liverpool - 13 9 9 = 35 (48)W Brom - 13 5 13 =   31 (44)Swansea - 10 10 11 = 30 (40)Fulham - 10 9 11 =   29 (39)W Ham - 10 6 14 =    26 (36)Soton - 8 10 13 =    26 (34)Stoke - 7 13 11 =    27 (34)Norwich - 7 13 11 =  27 (34)Newcastle - 9 6 16 = 24 (33)S''land - 7 10 14 =   24 (31)Wigan - 8 6 16 =     22 (30)Villa - 7 9 15 =     23 (30)QPR - 4 11 16 =      19 (23)Reading 5 8 18 =     18 (23)Norwich and Stoke would be a couple of places higher.  Villa would swap places with Wigan by a point, and Man City would be 4 games behind Man Utd instead of 5.  Otherwise, not much difference.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]Sorry to have bothered you so much Nigel... I was just thinking out loud, don''t ever expect it to be implemented. It''s just so fooking hard to watch teams try to play out a 0-0 draw instead of trying to win a game...[/quote]

Carefull now!

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]Sorry to have bothered you so much Nigel... I was just thinking out loud, don''t ever expect it to be implemented. It''s just so fooking hard to watch teams try to play out a 0-0 draw instead of trying to win a game...[/quote]

That''s exactly what I was doing.. Thinking out loud....

"can''t believe City fans are still suggesting changing the rules to get us closer to the bottom of the league. This is either one big wind up or you lot are not what you appear to be..."