Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Team Vs Swansea

In my opinion Whittaker has to play considering in the away match against Swansea his partnership with Snodgrass produced our best chances. Thats not to say Russell Martin hasn''t been playing well but our win ratio with him in the team compared to Whittaker is startling. Bunn obviously would go back in goal and I would drop Elliot Bennett because as always he looks defensively sound but he never seems to prove a threat to the opposition with 1 goal in 50 apperances is simply not good enough and maybe Kei''s pace can be utilised to better effect out on the wing. Swansea seem to hate playing against us and Holt in paticular and hopefully his recent spell on the bench will have fired him up to perform well on Saturday.

My team:

Bunn

Whittaker   Bassong    Turner        Garrido

Johnson       Howson

Snodgrass          Hoolahan             Kamara

Holt

BunnR.MartinWhittaker   Bassong  Barnett  Turner   GarridoJohnson Tettey Howson

Holt

In a bold rear guard action I can see Hoots employing R. Martin as a sweeper and defending him with 5 defenders.Then Howson will be employed as a 3rd anchor man leaving Holty up top on his own to get a hattrick.

Bunn

Whittaker, turner, bassong, garrido

Snodgrass, tettey, johnson, pilkington

Holt, becchio

Subs: camp, r martin, e Bennett, r Bennett, fox, Kamara, Jackson

Bunn

Whitts Turner Seb Garrido

Tettey Johnson

Snoddy Pilks (if fit, if not play KK)

Hoolahoop

Becchio

Bunn

Snoddy Tettey Johnson Pilks

Kamara Becchio

I think if we go 4-4-2 against these they will just dominate possession and pass us off the park, sort of like Liverpool did earlier in the season.

For me gotta be

Bunn

Tettey Johnson

Snoddy Hoolahan Pilks

Holt

Holt does well against these, and I still feel Kei is better as an impact sub

Bunn

Whittaker Turner Bassong Garrido

Tettey/BJ

Howson Hoolahan

Snoddy Pilks

Holt

4 -1-2-2-1

Let Tettey or BJ hold, Howson and Hoolahan to support/make runs off Holt, keep Snod and Pilks out wide to actually play them as attacking wingers rather than supplementary full backs and lets HAVE IT!!!

"Howson and Hoolahan to support/make runs off Holt"........

......can''t see them learning how to do that in just four days......

I''d like to see a diamond again, with Whittaker in the holding role. There he can break up play and give a bit of defensive support to the defense, but at the same time he can start attacks up. We''ve seen how he likes to go on runs, so I''d like to see CH to try this. But there''s not a chance of it happening!!                            BunnMartin      Bassong     Turner      Garrido                         Whittaker             Snodgrass            Johnson                          Hoolahan                  Holt              Kamara

I go with this team....

[quote user="refjezdavies"]Bunn

Whittaker, turner, bassong, garrido

Snodgrass, tettey, johnson, pilkington

Holt, becchio

Subs: camp, r martin, e Bennett, r Bennett, fox, Kamara, Jackson[/quote]

Bunn

Martin, Turner, Bassong, Garrido

Snodgrass, Johnson, Tettey, Pilkington

Hoolahan, Kamara

Subs: Camp, Whittaker, BennettR, BennettE, Fox, Becchio, Holt

What we want, or what we expect?

I expect;

Bunn

Tettey, Johnson

Snod, Hoolahan, Pilks

Holt.

I want:

Bunn,

Fox

Tettey, Johnson

Snod, Pilks

Holt

I''d probably think about leaving Wes out and going with 2 upfront. Probably Holt and Kamara but I wouldn''t be against seeing Kamara and Becchio.

Football wise I''d like to see Howson and Tettey in midfield. Ideally I''d like to say with Howson playing the more advanced role but it''s not a computer game and it''s probably not as easy as that.

Johnson gives you the balance in there because he''s left sided but I would see Howson and Tettey as the better footballers with better potential.

Not sure if Russell Martin deserves to be dropped but maybe just to freshen things up that change could be made. Whittaker is more likely to get you a decent ball into the box from the right hand side.

I hope that CH does something imaginative, and has been perfecting in training this week.

I agree with many on this board that Whittaker ought to be playing, but I also think that Martin has done nothing to deserve being dropped. They are two good players and, apart from Bassong, are both as good as any other defenders we have.

Could the solution be to use one as a sweeper, in front of the back four. Both seem to be good readers of a game, though neither has great pace.We could thus play 4-1-2-3, with  the two wingers and a striker up front. This could morph into 4-3-3.

The other possibility would be push Whittaker into the midfield, to stiffen and also to provide forward pressure. I think that he would be better here than Martin, and has certainly played there at Rangers. Then the question is does he play in a three man midfield, with Johnson and Tettey/Howson, and sacrifice Wes, or does he play instead of Tettey/Howson alongside Johnson and retain Wes? The one thing that is clear is that whatever his deficiencies, Johnson will play, because he is the only natural left-sided player we have, apart from Tierney and Garrido, now that Surs is out.

When I write "play", I really mean "start". CH does not use the possibility of substitution very well. If a player is clearly having an off-day, it seems pointless to keep him for 80 minutes, and because we regularly run ourselves into the ground it makes sense to bring on fresh legs relatively early to defend our position or attack.

Bunn

Whittaker

Turner

Bassong

Garrido

Johnson

Snodgrass

Howson

Pilkington

Hoolahan

Holt

its got to be a straight up 4-4-1-1. That was effective. It worked last time for Swansea

Bunn

Whittaker-Turner Bassong Garrido

--------------Tettey-------------

-------Howson-- johnson-------

Snodgrass------------pilkington

------------------Holt----------------

Would love to see something like this personally, maybe some how get hoolahoop in there instead of howson.

I expect Hughton will select the following:

Bunn

Martin Turner Bassong Garrido

Snodgrass Tettey Johnson Bennett/Pilks (if fit)

Hoolahan

Kamara

I would like to see the following:

Bunn

Snodgrass Tettey Howson Kamara/Pilks (if fit)

Hoolahan

Becchio

Russ hasn''t done anything wrong, I just think rotating the squad a little would be a good idea and Whittaker has looked tidy from what i''ve seen. Could even play Russ at right back and play Whittaker at right mid if Pilks isn''t fit, moving Snodgrass out to the left. Then I''d either start Kamara over Becchio, or drop Hoolahan to play 4-4-2.

We most probably will go 4-4-2! so I think the team should be

Bunn

R.Martin Turner Bassong Garrido

Snodgrass Tettey/Whittaker Johnson Pilkington

Kamara Holt

I think that whittaker should have a chance as a defensive midfielder because he offers a lot in attack as well as in defense. Look at that winning opportunity at Sunderland for an example, what a run, he can create chances and doesn''t mind running at defenders. Give him a chance. I think deploying Snodgrass back on the right is a good thing for the team as he is more effective and pilks is a playmaker as well as a goal scorer so obviously a major boost. Kamara adds pace to the team as well as strength, we all know what holt can do and the back four have done nothing wrong to make a change. Bunn an obvious number 2 better than Camp!

Tettey back, JH out.

I wouldn''t want to see Bennett start this time out after being so uninfluencial last week.

Like many, I would not object to Whittaker being squeezed in in some way.

Time to be the tinkerman Hoots (little hope of that I feel.)

Bunn

Snodgrass Tettey  Johnson Pilkington 

Becchio  Holt

Would like to see Whittaker and Becchio start and think Tettey should come back for Howson, Kamara can come off the bench at around 60 mins if we need more fire power and are struggling.

Sorry Wes [:$]

I can see CH going 4-4-2! He tried it against Everton when he thought we needed a win and it worked (just!!!) and i think he''ll go for it on Saturday. He knows how important our remaining home games are and they are all winnable in my opinion and thats where he feels we can pick up the majority of points we need to survive!

I''d go for:

Bunn

Whittaker

Turner

Bassong

Garrido

Snodgrass

Tettey

Johnson

Pilks (if fit) if not Bennett

Becchio

Holt

Bit controversial leaving Hoolahan and Kamara to some but i really feel both players can make more of an impact coming on at the moment! As for Whittaker instead of Martin its nothing against Martin he hasn''t done to much wrong i just feel Whittaker is a better player and offers just a bit more!

I''d personally go with a 5 man midfield against Swansea, if we don''t match them number wise we won''t get a kick. Retention of the ball is cruicial and is going to have to be a lot better than recent performances, therefor Mr Fox would be starting for me. That being said it''s a big ask for a player that''s spent 31 games sitting on his backside to come in and have an impact. Like many others I have absolutlety no issue with Russ but I feel Whittaker may be able to offer a little more going forward so I''d bring him back in. I''d bring Tettey in alongside Fox to freshen things up in the middle and Holt back in for Kamara. The Swans fans hate him and he''ll thrive off it.

Bunn (Ruddy if fit)

Whittaker            Turner            Bassong         Garrido

Tettey            Fox

Snodgrass                     Hoolahan                Pilkington

Holt(C)

Camp/Bunn, Martin, Johnson, Howson, E. Bennett, Becchio, Kamara