Sign in to follow this  
swjf50

Time to take the occasional risk?

Our play under Hughton tends to be built on a solid defence and safety first, however, when we are not scoring at all, it must be time to take some risks and spring a few surprises.

We need to shoot more often and the full backs need to go on the occasional run to give their support to the attacks. We have to be less predictable in our play and also be quicker breaking out of defence. Swansea are a great example of doing the latter, so hopefully we won''t be caught napping.

Substitutions have to be made earlier to give the players a chance to effect the game.

These are all obvious suggestions I know, but it seems very rare that they are put into practice. For example, how many goals from outside the area have we scored this season? Very few I know. Obviously it doesn''t matter how we score, as long as we do, but we have to use all methods. A penalty wouldn''t go amiss.

I''m not sure Hughton does ''risky'' I''m afraid.

I agree with everything you say, though..

If only we had a player who was renowned for shooting from distance...............

Piks had a reputation for that before he came, saw lots of tube footage of goals from outside the box, unfortunately when he gets the ball now he is normally looking to or having to pass it backwards!

[quote user="swjf50"]Our play under Hughton tends to be built on a solid defence and safety first, however, when we are not scoring at all, it must be time to take some risks and spring a few surprises.

We need to shoot more often and the full backs need to go on the occasional run to give their support to the attacks. We have to be less predictable in our play and also be quicker breaking out of defence. Swansea are a great example of doing the latter, so hopefully we won''t be caught napping.

Substitutions have to be made earlier to give the players a chance to effect the game.

These are all obvious suggestions I know, but it seems very rare that they are put into practice. For example, how many goals from outside the area have we scored this season? Very few I know. Obviously it doesn''t matter how we score, as long as we do, but we have to use all methods. A penalty wouldn''t go amiss.[/quote]The question is do the players remember how to play with that attacking flow we had last season. Hughton should of just tried adjusting the tactics slightly, bit by bit rather than just a complete overhaul at least that way he would of found a good balance and would know roughly how that balance is. Yet now he doesnt have a clue really does he as hes only played ONE WAY since hes been here. I bet he hasnt got a bloody clue how to get the team attacking!!!!!!

[quote user="Officer Tillys small Willies Nigel lappy"][quote user="swjf50"]Our play under Hughton tends to be built on a solid defence and safety first, however, when we are not scoring at all, it must be time to take some risks and spring a few surprises. We need to shoot more often and the full backs need to go on the occasional run to give their support to the attacks. We have to be less predictable in our play and also be quicker breaking out of defence. Swansea are a great example of doing the latter, so hopefully we won''t be caught napping. Substitutions have to be made earlier to give the players a chance to effect the game. These are all obvious suggestions I know, but it seems very rare that they are put into practice. For example, how many goals from outside the area have we scored this season? Very few I know. Obviously it doesn''t matter how we score, as long as we do, but we have to use all methods. A penalty wouldn''t go amiss.[/quote]

The question is do the players remember how to play with that attacking flow we had last season. Hughton should of just tried adjusting the tactics slightly, bit by bit rather than just a complete overhaul at least that way he would of found a good balance and would know roughly how that balance is. Yet now he doesnt have a clue really does he as hes only played ONE WAY since hes been here. I bet he hasnt got a bloody clue how to get the team attacking!!!!!!
[/quote]

What an Ace name.[;)]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Officer Tillys small Willies Nigel lappy"][quote user="swjf50"]Our play under Hughton tends to be built on a solid defence and safety first, however, when we are not scoring at all, it must be time to take some risks and spring a few surprises. We need to shoot more often and the full backs need to go on the occasional run to give their support to the attacks. We have to be less predictable in our play and also be quicker breaking out of defence. Swansea are a great example of doing the latter, so hopefully we won''t be caught napping. Substitutions have to be made earlier to give the players a chance to effect the game. These are all obvious suggestions I know, but it seems very rare that they are put into practice. For example, how many goals from outside the area have we scored this season? Very few I know. Obviously it doesn''t matter how we score, as long as we do, but we have to use all methods. A penalty wouldn''t go amiss.[/quote]The question is do the players remember how to play with that attacking flow we had last season. Hughton should of just tried adjusting the tactics slightly, bit by bit rather than just a complete overhaul at least that way he would of found a good balance and would know roughly how that balance is. Yet now he doesnt have a clue really does he as hes only played ONE WAY since hes been here. I bet he hasnt got a bloody clue how to get the team attacking!!!!!![/quote]

What an Ace name.[;)]

[/quote]Why  thankyou Tilly, also i like what you did there. Pleases stop pressing the report button tho xx

[quote user="Officer Tillys small Willies Nigel lappy"]

Why  thankyou Tilly, also i like what you did there. Pleases stop pressing the report button tho xx
[/quote]

Maybe you would care to give a few examples or one even where the report button has been pressed ? You know what they say and it applies to the likes of silly people like you who get a kick out of keep changing their name or those with multiple accounts.....give them enough rope and they will hang themselves eventually.

Now about this report button you accuse me of pushing Grantham ....

Exactly BW you just cant have a civilized debate/discussion on here without the ethnic cleanser or one of his mates disrupting the thread. They really are dragging this forum in a downwards spiral. However with clever people like yourself spotting what they are up to we MAY just manage to keep this forum going   

Exactly BW you just cant have a civilized debate/discussion on here without the ethnic cleanser or one of his mates disrupting the thread. They really are dragging this forum in a downwards spiral. However with clever people like yourself spotting what they are up to we MAY just manage to keep this forum going   
[/quote]

You change your name to something provocative involving three posters to create a reaction. Just tell me why you did it........It floats your boat,you want a controntation or was it just plain attention seeking ?

Now you cry victim and dribble on about civilised debate/discusion and accuse me of disrupting the thread. The disruption was you goating and baiting me to respond to your latest user name you plank so if you want to discuss the reason that brought about your latest name change carry on.

No report button pressing going on at this end so grow a pair.

LOL

I''m chuffed with this. Nobody''s pushed the report button. The new boundaries and guidelines have just been set. The playground is suddenly much bigger..

And much more fun[:D][Y]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

LOL

I''m chuffed with this. Nobody''s pushed the report button. The new boundaries and guidelines have just been set. The playground is suddenly much bigger..

[/quote]

How do you feel about being in yet another forum gang Nutty...the Small Willys ? [:P]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

LOL

[/quote]

How do you feel about being in yet another forum gang Nutty...the Small Willys ? [:P]

[/quote]

I love it! But I bet Zip''s jealous..

I have found Ace,Grantham or whatever his name is this week a new avatar Nutty. What do you reckon as he has this thing about Willys......?

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/SWingGirl/Smilies/Dickhead.gif[/IMG]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Exactly BW you just cant have a civilized debate/discussion on here without the ethnic cleanser or one of his mates disrupting the thread. They really are dragging this forum in a downwards spiral. However with clever people like yourself spotting what they are up to we MAY just manage to keep this forum going    [/quote]

You change your name to something provocative involving three posters to create a reaction. Just tell me why you did it........It floats your boat,you want a controntation or was it just plain attention seeking ?

Now you cry victim and dribble on about civilised debate/discusion and accuse me of disrupting the thread. The disruption was you goating and baiting me to respond to your latest user name you plank so if you want to discuss the reason that brought about your latest name change carry on.

No report button pressing going on at this end so grow a pair.

[/quote]

Dont cry over me Sergeant Tilllllllllson !!!!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Sergeant??

When did that happen...

Does Crafty know..

[/quote]

Blimey i had better get my pension increased.[;)]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Sergeant??

When did that happen...

Does Crafty know..

[/quote]

Blimey i had better get my pension increased.[;)]

[/quote]

You could always try tripping over a step in the dark.

[quote user="Officer Tillys small Willies Nigel lappy"]Dont cry over me Sergeant Tilllllllllson !!!! [/quote]Blimey, PC Unpromotable.....has been promoted! [<:o)]

[quote user="swjf50"]Our play under Hughton tends to be built on a solid defence and safety first, however, when we are not scoring at all, it must be time to take some risks and spring a few surprises. We need to shoot more often and the full backs need to go on the occasional run to give their support to the attacks. We have to be less predictable in our play and also be quicker breaking out of defence. Swansea are a great example of doing the latter, so hopefully we won''t be caught napping. Substitutions have to be made earlier to give the players a chance to effect the game. These are all obvious suggestions I know, but it seems very rare that they are put into practice. For example, how many goals from outside the area have we scored this season? Very few I know. Obviously it doesn''t matter how we score, as long as we do, but we have to use all methods. A penalty wouldn''t go amiss.[/quote]

A penalty can easily go amiss! :-)

indeed our very last and only one this season did..

[quote user="lincoln canary"]The time to take risks was a few weeks ago when we were 10 points clear of the drop zone and had very little pressure on us. Now I fear, with pressure, we may play even more negative through fear of defeat. If that is even possible.[/quote]

You were still being negative then, now I fear with more pressure, you may post even more negatively through hope of defeat. If that is even possible.

[quote user="Warren Hill"]

[quote user="lincoln canary"]The time to take risks was a few weeks ago when we were 10 points clear of the drop zone and had very little pressure on us. Now I fear, with pressure, we may play even more negative through fear of defeat. If that is even possible.[/quote]

You were still being negative then, now I fear with more pressure, you may post even more negatively through hope of defeat. If that is even possible.

[/quote]

Childish response, you suprise me!

Glad to see we are back on the subject.

The Swansea away game was one of the few times when we seemed to throw caution to the wind and played attacking football. I can''t remember many others, can you?

I might be tempted to play Whittaker in central midfield, I know he''s essentially a defender but he can also run with the ball, tackle, pass and score goals, so is a good all-rounder. Our 2 defensive midfielders Johnson and Tettey lack the ability to do much more than defend and we are crying out for our central midfielders to do more than that. I''d also put Kamara on the wing in place of Bennett, as I think he would be more of a threat. If its not working as well as it should, it isn''t the end of the world and at least we''ve tried something different and can go back to a different formation etc. At the moment we have a plan A but don''t seem to have a plan B.

You could also argue that it would not have been a good idea to abandon the system that had taken you ten points clear in the first place, no?